Engl 930/60 Power amp, Tube replacement?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Trapscallion, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Trapscallion

Trapscallion SS.org Regular

Hello all

Have had an ENGL 930/60 watt power amp for a few years now and some tubes have blown on one side of the amp so have just been playing with the other which currently has 6L6GC tubes in. Now i am thinking about replacing them i am not sure what choices i have..

I have been speaking with Eddie at Eurotubes and he said he would need to know the filament winding of the transformer to see how much voltage my amp can put out for certain tubes. I contacted ENGL and they only told me the rating of the tubes which was 6.3 Vac and did not tell me the rating of the transformers.

Was looking at a set of KT-88s but not sure if my amp can run these. Considering it is a stereo power amp 60 watts each side, was contemplating having 2 tubes one side and another different set the other side so i have a choice which side of the amp i want to run through.

All i have been able to find is info on the ENGL Savage 60 and see what tubes people have put in that, as that and the Powerball 60 are the only amps i have found that are 60 watt. Some people have said KT77s in there are nice as well as EL34s.

Does anyone else have experience with this amp and what tubes i can and cant run in it?

Cheers

2. Trapscallion

Trapscallion SS.org Regular