Energy Drinks: I'm addicted (srsly)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by kazzie, Mar 31, 2014.

1. theycallmetc

theycallmetc SS.org Regular

It's a total cliché, but you already know the answer. Work out, eat better (not just quality of the food, but make sure you're eating enough) and try to figure out your sleep patterns. If you feel like crashing in the afternoon take a short nap (shorter than 30 minutes), or if you have the time, you can go for a full sleep cycle (about 90 minutes). Also, if you're depending so much on caffeine make sure you drink enough water...caffeine dehydrates you quite a bit. Add all that crap in an energy drink and the effect's worse. When I'm cramming I usually have a glass of water per cup of coffee, and I'm constantly sipping water anyways. Sometimes when I'm super tired I'll pop down and do some push ups or run up and down the stairs and that'll kick me back up.

2. kazzie

kazzie unicorn smile

LOL SUP,

one week no energy dranks.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Even though I cut out soda from my diet for a few months now, I can't help but drink one of these at least once a month. Unlike most energy drinks, they taste really, REALLY good.

4. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

Fack. I need to quit. I was at like 3-5 16 oz monster or 2 20 oz red bulls and I'm down to one drink a day but it's hard. Not because I'm addicted- near pay day they go bye bye, but because I drink when I'm bored and my drink of choice is energy. I also should be working out daily...

5. ghost_of_karelia

ghost_of_karelia Utrydd dei Svake

During my first year of college in 2012-13 my best mate and I went on a bit of an energy drink binge due to a variety of contributing factors, not least of which was the 6am wakeups throughout the week and a high proportion of strenuous activity while studying different forms of dance - we just couldn't get through the week without some kind of boost.

For the first few months it wasn't too bad, a cheap 35p 330ml drink from the corner shop every morning, but it began to get pretty bad. For shows (we did about 3 "show weeks" which involved about 8 days of 6am-9pm techs, dress runs and performances) we would consume as many as 7 energy drinks per day, and then got into the nasty habit of mixing them out of boredom being the idiotic 16 year olds we were, putting all kinds of crap into a coffee cup and wolfing it down.

Needless to say after getting chest pains, the jitters and a completely messed up sleep cycle I gradually tried to cut down, before just stopping the intake completely and switching to coca cola to help with the withdrawal. I also started drinking a lot more water, and feel a hell of a lot better.

Moral of the story is, don't ever be a 16 year old. It's a bad life choice and you should feel bad for doing it.

6. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

There was a period in highschool I'd get an energy drink in the morning before school, and after only a couple weeks it stopped working, and I realized I was tired in class even with my energy drink, so I started looking for energy drinks with the highest caffeine content. Nothing worked.

So I started taking NoDoz caffeine tablets in the morning, it was cheaper, and actually worked.

See the thing with caffeine tolerance, is it happens VERY ....ing quickly. 6 months into the school year I was taking over 800mg of caffeine in the morning to wake up, then another 400mg after 1st period, and another 400mg after lunch. I never thought anything of it, but it worked, and if it didn't, I'd take more.

Well, fast forward a couple months, and one morning my heart was racing, and it was skipping beats and all kinds of crazy shit. I felt dizzy and everything around me was spinning and blacking out, (kinda like when you get up too quickly, but imagine that feeling for minutes) I was sitting in a chair in a classroom with a heart rate over 180. I fell out of my chair and the teacher called 911. I ended up being taken by ambulance to the hospital, everyone thought I was having a heart attack. They broke the "attack" in the ambulance and I was fine. Nobody knew what it was, except me, and I didn't tell anyone.

Well, I go to see a cardiologist, and find out I had a severe ventricular tachycardia attack.

Let me tell you man, quit the ....ing energy drinks, and caffeine. It can really hurt you if you get as addicted to caffeine as I was.

ilyti likes this.
  7. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

My coffee habit lols at your energy drink soiree.

8. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

I have a theory about Monster Energy Drink as a company. Their marketing somehow attracts the dumbest people possible. They have celebrities endorse their drink! I can't think of any other energy drink company that does that. It makes consumers (and the celebrity reps) so brand loyal, they proudly wear Monster Energy Drink hats, shirts, jackets, even tattoos! (I'm looking at you, Ripper Owens. :squint:) Or even like your coworker, they display the tons of cans they have consumed. They are literally proud of it! WHY THOUGH??

9. thatguyupthere

thatguyupthere is rockin out

Dude, one word. Start drinking tea. not the powder shit because you might as well call it kool-aid. Start stocking tea at work or home or wherever. Celestial seasonings has a great selection and it will give you something to sip on frequently. You can brew it as strong as you want too.

Believe me, I quit drinking anything soda or carbonated and only stick to (unsweetened) tea and it was really easy. Also, stay away from the tea that has high fructose corn syrup in it.

10. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

Yup. I have one every single day, on a percentage of perhaps 95% in the past two years. On rare occasions I'll have a second one.

Do I want to get out of the addiction, though? Nope! :lol:

Albeit being an expensive habit, I don't "abuse" of it, and don't have any other bad habits like actual coffee, or soda, or alcohol (I don't drink anything else besides water, and Perrier once in a while), so in my mind it's like giving myself a treat a day! :lol:

Monster and guitar, best thing ever. :hbang:

11. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Seconded.:hbang:

12. Defi

Defi SS.org Regular

Too much caffeine these days makes me feel like I'm going to die.

I used to drink 10 cups of coffee a day though (cups as in the measured amount on the coffee maker), but that was when working construction.

Now even green tea is a bit much, .... caffeine. Makes tinnitus worse too.

13. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

NOS use to be my go2 but as of recently I've toned down my obsessive caffeine intake.

Man I can't imagine not being able to drink green tea without it flaring tinnitus lol.

14. asher

asher So Did We

Yeah, me too. I've actually replaced the afternoon coffee/cappucino/espresso with green tea to downsize and uphealth :lol:

15. Cloudy

Ive cut down to tea as well, trying to transition back to strictly water but I dont have high hopes for myself :lol:

16. asher

asher So Did We

Haha. I'm constantly drinking water too. Eventually I want to downsize the morning 16oz to some aeropressed grinds since the office keeps a stock, but the damn stuff is too tasty. Plus I need to figure out a good breakfast I can make here at mornings.

I'll save a bunch of money too and probably cut some unnecessary dairy out.

17. Cloudy

You dont know how much you spend on coffee/tea/energy drinks until you stop. That 5$~ a day at Tim Hortons really adds up :scream:

18. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

This thread was an interesting read. I've got probably a moderate caffeine addiction right now. I drink coffee just because I love the taste, and when I was working at Home Depot I liked having that warm drink on the way to work in the morning. After having a coffee or two a day consistently for about a year, I notice it now when I don't have one. That wouldn't be a huge deal (for the last couple years I'd just make sure I went a day or two every week without one), but I've been really busy the past few months, working full time around school - I'm putting in about 65 hours a week right now between work and class. I've got either work or class first thing in the morning every day of the week right now, so it's hard to choose a time to detox. I know I'm probably gonna have a full day or two of feeling shitty and groggy while I get used to not having something caffeinated, and being so busy and worn out all the time, there aren't many days that I feel like going through that. :lol:

To make matters worse, I love energy drinks. So much. There's the odd one I'm not crazy about, but I love the taste of most of them, especially Rockstar and Redbull. Seriously, if they made a caffeine free energy drink with zero or low calories, I'd be the first one in line to buy it. But as it is, sometimes if I'm having a bad day or am just really burnt out, I'll grab one of those as a pick-me-up, too.

It kind of scares me, because I think about how I feel if I miss my morning coffee after having one for two weeks straight, but then I think about the old people who have been drinking coffee every day for thirty or forty years or more. Between that and being older, the detox would probably do some serious damage, if not kill you. I have a buddy who needs at least a couple XLs to get him through the day, so I know I'll at least be able to safely kick it after a couple days of feeling shitty, then switch to decaf once in a while.

I've got less than three weeks of classes left, and I'll have my first day off in almost three months. The plan is to cold turkey it for a couple days then, so we'll see how it goes. :lol:

19. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

YES!!!! Totally agree, a lot of my addiction to them is due to the taste, they are like nothing else in my opinion.

20. The Q

The Q The Engineer

I drink coffee and energy drinks rarely; usually 4-6 e.d & coffee cups in total every month. The effect of caffeine on me is weird - it appears to work but I've never lost sleep over it, even when I consumed 4 espresso shots in the evening one day.

It does upset my stomach kinda though, coffee more so than energy drinks (because I like my coffee straight; no milk or sugar) and this is the primary reason I avoid it. On the other hand, compared to my co-workers and friends, I find it very hard to start my day though if I don't sleep a solid 8 hours.