Energy Drinks: I'm addicted (srsly)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by kazzie, Mar 31, 2014.

1. kazzie

kazzie unicorn smile

Okay so,
    When something makes me feel good, I keep it around. But, most things that make me feel good are harmless: puppies, granola bars, friendships, smiles and cheese & broccoli rice.

But, lately, I've been noticing that every morning, I think about whether or not I will get an energy drink for work. I'm a fan of Guru, not sure if it's available anywhere else. Basically, it tastes like heaven on a unicorn in your mouth.

If I don't have one, I feel bummed out about it. Now, I hardly ever go a day without one. It also makes me crash around 3 PM...when I need to get shit done.

I work on a computer from 8ish until 6ish. Energy dranks = bad.

Anyone else struggling with this? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:

2. Mik3D23

Mik3D23 things

I used to be the same way. Before that, it was mountain dew. After a long enough period of drinking energy drinks like crazy, then not drinking any, then back to energy drinks and so on, they slowly started just making me feel like total crap. Eventually, I began to not even be able to finish drinking one; not sure if I got turned off of the taste or if it was just my body saying to quit being a dumbass, but I haven't had any in 2 months or so. I've become a coffee drinker, even though I just about hate coffee, and I usually only have it in the mornings now.

My advice would be go cold turkey. Just about anything is better for you than 99% of energy drinks. You're better off taking caffeine pills if you're physically addicted to caffeine (I.E. you get horrible headaches/feel like shit when you don't have any for a day). But, that's not necessarily a good thing either, I found I used to end up taking more caffeine when I had caffeine pills than when I was drinking energy drinks.

P.S. energy drinks are also a total ripoff/scam, your wallet will be very happy with you if you cut them out

3. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Well, I used to be a Red Bull fiend. But the only energy supplement I use now is pre-workout. I started by switching to Xyience Xenergy drinks. They're sugar free and taste good as hell. They look like this.
    [​IMG]

Eventually, I just started looking for an alternative to that. Found Vitamin Water Energy. The orange-yellow colored one. It's not got a lot of energy supplements in it, but I just like the taste. You just have to find another drink to get fixated on. Preferably one that's healthy, or at least not too bad. Energy drinks are terrible things.

4. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

I used to have to have a monster almost daily when I went to college. I couldnt make it through some of the classes without. But since then, I tried going cold turkey which lasted only about 3 weeks, then I switched to Redbulls which have less caffeine and sugar. Also, I will only buy maybe 2 a week tops. I think when I started getting better sleep I felt less need for them.

5. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

I'm not sure how to deal with your addiction itself. But if its the caffein you need, try black tea. Hell of a lot healthier and still a good energy source.

6. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Get off the juice Kaz!!!
    That stuff is poison.

I go plain Columbian coffee. Nice and strong.
    Either 3-4 cups in the morning on most days, or 32oz. pre-workout a couple times/wk..

You just can't get any buzz if you nail it everyday throughout.
    Same with EDs I'm sure, but those have all the typical unpronouncable additives just like soda.

7. teelguitars

teelguitars Sean

Oh man, I was drinking two Rockstars a day for about a year and then quit. I had the shakes for four days! Bad stuff!

8. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

I had to do crazy hours for architecture school for my masters and I used to do this awful thing when I knew I had to stay up more then one day in a row, just to make sure I'd be able to stay up as late as necessary. Basically I'd get three energy drinks and down them one after the other on my 5 minute walk from the store to studio.... How I'm not dead ?..ill never know. Good thing I only did this like three times. It was like 30 minutes of my body freaking out and 6 hours of total concentration. Now that I'm in the working world a red eye (coffee with a shot of espresso) every morning is my vice. Still can't believe I did that... Was such an idiot.

9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

My energy drink is :coffee:

If I don't have at least a 24oz in the morning...stay the fack away from me...

The kid I work with has to own stock in Monster...I went by his desk one day and he literally had a collection of about 50 cans...that was only for one month :eek::ugh:

That much cannot be healthy for you.

10. warpedsoul

warpedsoul SS.org Regular

I was a huge Monster drinker. I could drink 3 16oz cans a day if I wanted. Never felt like it did anything for me though. I would normally only drink the blue logo cans, or the Absolute Zeros, or the Recovery to try to limit the amount o calories and sugars, but the Coffee flavors are damn delicious. The new protein series isn't bad either. But I quit cold turkey 2 weeks ago. Quit coffee as well. I've been getting headaches lately, but trying to stay strong. If I cave on anything, I'll cave on the coffee.

Now I want a Monster. ****!

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Let me start out by saying that I'm pro-eat-whatever-the-fuck-you-want to the highest degree. I eat high octane bullshit like fast food, buffets, and enough alcoholic beverages than you can shake a stick at. I'm in a glass house on this.

Though, energy drinks are absolutely terrible, and I'm not talking about how they affect your health. They simply do not do what they say, which is give you energy. They trick your body into being not as tired for a very short amount of time, but don't actually give you energy.

If you guys are getting tired, you need to start eating. Even if you're not hungry.

I work in manufacturing and have adapted to a 60+ hour weeks at times. There are intervals where I work over 18 hours straight. My average day is roughly 10 hours. When I first started I relied on energy drinks and regular caffeinated beverages to help me through the day. It was rough on my body, and my wallet (Monsters and Redbulls ain't cheap). A few weeks in I noticed a lot of the old timers would put in the long hours without any coffee or soda or energy drinks. I asked them how they did it (these guys were in their late 50's to mid 60's) and they laughed, but told me the secret: eat.

I take a lunch box bigger than some carry-on luggage to work. Packed with carbs, calories, and protein. Energy drinks treat the symptom, not the cause. Eating properly will also help you through the sugar and other chemical withdrawal.

12. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

I'd like to know why anyone thinks energy drinks (sugar-free/low/nocarb) are any worse than diet pop, or crystal light, or "vitamin" water or sparkling flavored water (like Ice which is becoming huge now).

It's all the same shit. Regular energy drinks are just as full of sugary piss water as gatorade or V8 Splash or any other perceived healthy fruit drink. I usually have about two sugar free energy drinks a day. The white and blue Monster's are amazing. Rockstar just came out with some new ones- the Peach Mango absolute zero is phenomenal. When I'm running around working til 6 a.m. I usually have two or three through the night. I've had upwards of 5 or 6 when I completely forgot to bring other stuff to drink. It's just caffeine. Caffeine is the least of the garbage in it. When you build a tolerance to caffeine (which isn't good) it doesn't affect you the same way it does as a caffeine intolerant person. (Think about some people that can drink a case of beer and barely be buzzed) But anyway the macros breaking down to : 0, 0, 0, works pretty damn well for me. I've yet to hear of any trainers to come out against sugar-free energy drinks.

13. warpedsoul

warpedsoul SS.org Regular

Artificial sweetner is about as bad as actual sugar.

14. Mik3D23

Mik3D23 things

Caffeine is probably the best thing about energy drinks. On top of way more sugar than people should be drinking in a day, they've got tons of other shit loaded in them. Also, I don't perceive gatorade or v8 splash as healthy, v8 splash is basically soda with 5% fruit juice. Same with other supermarket "juices"

15. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Like anything else, EDs in moderation won't hurt anything, unless the person already had some heart or seizure issues.
    Most people I know who drink them end up basically depending on them day-long daily just to feel normal. (might be a lot in their head, but still makes them do it)

Myself, I just try to limit the things that have all those long crazy-name ingredients.
    Most boxed, canned, bagged, frozen-entrée ect.. , they almost all fall into this.
    I do eat that stuff, but I also try to go without it sometimes and then go easy on it when other options aren't really convenient, like obviously when traveling without prepared grubs.

Drinks are generally much less filling than solids so it's easier to consume greater amounts without realizing the gluttony :lol:.

Some of the artificial sweeteners actually build up in the body over time, for whatever reasons we don't flush them very well. (has something to do with wood-alcohol IIRC)
    If I were going to drink a lot of artificial sweetened drinks I'd probably try to switch them up so it wasn't all the same sweetener-type all the time.
    Most brands probably use aspartame like the pop-pushers.

16. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

I'm hooked on caramel macchiatos from the cafe down the street. I get a large with extra espresso every morning. It shakes the cobwebs outta my brain so I function at full speed asap.

Other than that I drink water 95% of the day. But I "need" my espresso in the morning.

17. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

I've been sort of addicted to this stuff ever since I was 14-15yo. Sometimes I have periods of time I'm not really into them but then there's times like last spring when I had 2 every day for a month and had to quit as one morning I woke up in the most horrible chest pain. :ugh:

Now in the army, they're a must to make me get through the day. It also feels great when you have slept for 4 hours, be tired as fvck the whole day and finally get to drink one of these and get hyperactive as fvck. :scream: Though, normally I don't feel anything drinking these if I have got enough sleep.

18. asher

asher So Did We

Yeah there are 3 really awesome local coffee shops right by where I work. They all also have pretty tasty bagel/pastry options, so one of those and some variety of latte/espresso creation is breakfast. Because then I get to sleep a little longer :lol:

The caffeine is nice but they're also just damn tasty.

19. Oreo_Death

Oreo_Death Blackbird

I used to drink a lot of Monsters back in the day. Now I only usually have it when I have that Jagermeister to go along with it :lol:

I drink coffee now. I'm pretty sure I just drank monster because it tasted good, and started because I thought it would help with energy. But yeah like it was said before, energy drinks are a scam. I had a Redline from a GNC store a few years ago. It says only drink half the can but I was stupid and drank it all. Half of my face went numb and tingly and I didnt even feel energized. Weird stuff.

20. Matthew

Matthew SS.org Regular

I usually have one of these every day. I've tried to stop several times, but keep going back.
    [​IMG]