Endorsements - "HOW TO"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Guitarholic, Aug 19, 2011.

1. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

I have one endorser currently: Curt Mangan Strings. I couldn't be happier with a company. Their strings are fantastic and Curt not only knows strings, but he answers the phone fairly often and loves talking about them.
    I got the endorsement because my drummer's old band was picked up by them and I just used that as an in. As a smaller company, he was really easy to work with and I've been rampantly promoting them since. I've done some work to get touring friend's bands on board, but hit these places up while you're touring.
    Ironically, I've gotten more people sold on these strings when I sell guitars with them on.

I was talking with Vader cabs for a while and it was left off with hit him up when I'm touring more and looking to buy a new cab. That's really the biggest thing most of these smaller companies are looking for. Solid enough bands that are touring, easy to work with and really behind their products.
    The Vader deal not happening wasn't the end of the world though, I can't find anything as solid as my Marshall 1960BV - 300 watt version 4 x 12".

2. Jimby Pearadoople

Jimby Pearadoople SS.org Regular

I think the real concern lies with how Rappers can get endorsements easily and make tons of loot off of them...yet as a Rock-based musician it's ridiculously difficult and elusive and all ya get is a discount or free gear. I mean: Atheletes make so much. Especially the X-Games people. No, it's not about money but it IS about securing a future where all one has to do to sustain their life is play music.

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Rappers are used to sell clothes, among other things, not just music. Their target marketing audience isn't musicians. (as evidenced by the fact that Beats headphones DO sell)
    You can'y compare the costs either. A mass marketed consumer scratch table costs way less than an amp and its maintenance, and those brands also sell generic consumer products. A Gibson endorsee won't help sell fridges, while a rapper with Samsung headphones actually will.

4. taysil11

taysil11 SS.org Regular

always a business!

5. XBIGJIMX

XBIGJIMX SS.org Regular

Great post full of great info. But I can give a different point of view. In my opinion the number one factor in getting an endorsement is being a able to be friendly and shoot the shit with people and luck. Mind you talent and being popular never hurts :)
    I can only give my story as an example, this is who I have deals with (none of these are full rides. Unless you are in a top tier band you are not getting it for free but you are getting it for cost or close to it)

Mesa/Boogie
    Ernie Ball Strings
    Intune GP

Now other members of my band had Ampeg, Crate, Ibanez and Esp/LTD.

How did I get the mesa Deal? The small label i was on mentioned that all the bands on his roster got Mesa discount. I asked how well his best friend in HS was now the head of a & R at Mesa. So I asked him to introduce me. He did we shot the shit for a couple of hours. He asked what gear i was using and told him. He asked for some pics of the gear 20 min later I had a mesa deal.

Ernie Ball. We met sterling ball at the warped tour got him drunk a couple of nights he asked do you have a string deal? Nope you do now

Intune was totally legit like described on the first page. We filled out the forms gave them show lists and they reviewed it and approved us. (great people)

But my point is never underestimate being friendly and talking to people when you are nice to people, people tend to be nice back and help your band

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS Formerly DJIMBO

This was VERY helpful. My band probably isnt near any possible endorsements yet. But meow i have a better idea of how to go about it.

Just for fun, here are my dream endorsers:
    Orange for the 4x12 cabs
    Engl for their amazing amps, mainly pre amps like the E570
    Fryette/VHT for the 2/90/2 power amps
    Esp for axes. I want custom Forest bodies with pointed headstocks, Hipshot bridges, and Bare Knuckle Pickups.

One day........

7. Phrygian

Phrygian Lefty

Great read, thanks!

8. Aztec

Aztec On a perennial quest

Great thread, thanks!

9. theonetruematt

theonetruematt SS.org Regular

Great thread with great information. My endorsement fantasies were crushed when I was teaching at a guitar store a few years back and one of the sales guys told me he had a Mesa "artist account." Which, as far as I know is as good as Mesa gets with endorsements. And the artist discount is basically the same as the retail sales dealer accomodation pricing, so if you're looking for "endorsement" prices, just start working at a guitar store! :)

I actually work at one again now (in sales) and its definitely made me less anxious to try to get endorsed, since I can get the same prices already on anything we carry. And there's definitely some value in being able to play anything you want on stage.

10. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

What about just being on their roster list and promo stuff? (don''t want custom shop stuff or "discounts")

11. Draceius

Draceius I hate everyone on this site

Didn't see anyone post this here, so I thought I might contribute, this is from Schecter's blog.

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  12. MeriTone Music

MeriTone Music SS.org Regular

well said!! Rock on :hbang:

13. SebastianGrosu

SebastianGrosu SS.org Regular

Really great post. I have learned a lot!

14. Joseph Kimbrell

Joseph Kimbrell SS.org Regular

Thanks Jan, good read! This is something lots of musicians are curious about

15. Carnage

Carnage one srs peach

thanks for posting, was a great read

16. jonesjane

jonesjane SS.org Regular

Nice videos.......Keep sharing this,,guys...

17. Pat Olson

Pat Olson SS.org Regular

Thanks so much for the insight!

18. JeremyRodriguez5544998

JeremyRodriguez5544998 SS.org Regular

Thank you very much for the post. This is a super great starting point for musicians like myself who are interested in partnering up with a great company.

19. Ryan Duke

Ryan Duke SS.org Regular

Simple straightforward basics. Good post.

20. Gregory Frus

Gregory Frus SS.org Regular

Great info!! Thanks for posting!!