EMG single coils?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by gnoll, Nov 10, 2018 at 5:19 AM.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Hey guys, does any of you have experience with the EMG single coil pickups like S, SA, SX, SAX?

I got a new guitar that has passives, but I want an EMG 81 in the bridge. However, going active sort of limits me when it comes to the neck slot. I don't use the neck pickup a lot, actually I'm kind of used to not even having one, but it would be nice to have something there that could do cleans reasonably well (I use bridge for everything high gain). And I've realized EMG also have their single coils in a humbucker housing, called H instead of S, so H/HA/HX/HAX. So I'm leaning towards trying one of those in the neck position, but there's not a lot of information or sound examples of EMG single coils out there and I'm not really sure which one to go for.

I know the "A" versions are alnico as opposed to ceramic, but when it comes to clean tones I don't know which one would be better. And I know I don't like the X series when it comes to high gain, but maybe for cleans it would be nice?

2. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

I don't know if any sound good or if I would like it, but if I were you I would go for the HX for the neck if I want to play cleans: ceramic version for more crispiness on the neck position and X for more headroom which is better for cleans.

But in the end maybe you have in mind a different kind of clean sound... I like cleans tones to be as closer to "acoustic guitar" as possible to explain it in some way: clear, bright, crispy and with as much harmonics as possible. That's why I like single coils for cleans but I have heard lots of people complaining about EMGs singles saying that they don't sound like "real" single coils so...

3. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

If they are good enough for David Gilmour, they are good enough for the world.

Mathemagician, NickS and budda like this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I think the HAX would be a great compromise. The Alnico will add some wamrth and low end, and the X-series pickups have more presence I find, so it'll help add a bit of clarity and high end.

lewis likes this.
  5. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I used to have the Kirk Hammett hss set in a strat and it was great. Gilmour, Lukather, Hammett... hard to go wrong.

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Can vouch for the H and HA. They sound great and the X series are even better.

You wont be disappointed.

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I've had the S & SA before, stellar single coils.
    I have the Ceramic Tele set in my Baritone Telecaster, and they are the bee's knees!