EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Acatalepsy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Hey I have a question. Not a 7 stringer, but I have a Jackson that has stock passive HZs in and I have to say that I absolutely LOATHE the sound of. Way too muddy and flabby for my tastes. (I have to max out the treble of my B-52 LS-100 to get a decent tone)

I wanna know if possible, if I can throw at least an 81x in there. But I'm not sure where to put the battery, and/or how to install them. Any advice for me?

2. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

I agree with you and how the HZ's are absolutely horrific sounding. I have yet to experience the X-series myself but can say that even a normal 81 would do wonders for your tone. Normally, there's enough room to be able to put a battery in the control cavity once all the controls and everything's in. But it does matter what you have for a control set-up as well... Iwill send you a PM and will try to help you best I can.

3. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

I'm working on clips for the 707TW-X and 81-7x. I hope to also do them in HD Video so that it's a better experience than just listening to clips :)

4. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

5. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Thanks for the GAS, damn you.

6. OBSERVER

OBSERVER SS.org Regular

Dino still uses a tubescreamer for tightening up removing a little bottom end. The pedal does these things automatically.

If your guitar is mahogany definitely go with an 81-7.
    707 and Blackouts are too brown sounding for me.

7. The Necrotizer

The Necrotizer Blasphemous Bastard

I looking to maybe switch out one of my 81-7's in my ESP 607B (mahog. body) for a 707, I run the axe through a bugera 6262 with randall 2 X 12" cab. Currently the 81-7 in the bridge is a bit lacking in bottom end and also the guitars sound through the bugera is too bright. So i figured that I would leave the 81-7 in the middle position, so i can still get killer attack and produce those real smooth Vai-esque legato overkill lead tones, and then put a 707 in the bridge to get improved bass response and clarity for nice and brutal rhythm sections. I mainly play death metal, so I want a devastating think chunky tone that makes your balls bounce around whenever I unleash a chug fest, but i don't want it too bright, which it currently it is.
    Is there anything flawed with this logic? Ive seen real mixed opinions about which positions 81-7's and 707's work best in.
    Also, can anyone shed a bit of light on what to expect sonically if i do the 18v mod on my 607B ? If it's not to my liking is it easily undo able?

8. OBSERVER

OBSERVER SS.org Regular

The 707 will not add clarity. It sounds like what you need is a graphic eq in the effects loop. This is the best place to add desirable bass to your tone, and you can also change the amp's brightness to your liking.

9. The Necrotizer

You mean like a full on xx-band rack eq? or can I get away with a pedal unit like the boss EQ-7 etc ? I'm going to get the amp re-tubed and biased asap as well to see if that effects the brightness.

10. OBSERVER

OBSERVER SS.org Regular

11. aerhjaerj

aerhjaerj SS.org Regular

Hi guys

So, I bought emg 707 and 817 pickups for my guitar but realized that they don't work with a 5 way switch. So I have a spare 3 way switch ( which looks almost like this http://site.guitarfetish.com/F24.jpg ) but can't figure out how to wire it.
    Of course I have the emg wiring diagram but I just don't get this switch part.

Is it even possible with this type of switch? Should I buy a new switch?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    And yes, it's my first time, never changed pickups before. ( Or posted here, been lurking for a while )

12. SJT2

SJT2 Luthier Vandross

I'm looking to install an EMG 81-7/707 setup in my Ibanez S7320 but I can't find any pics of the routing needed. Can someone help me out? I was also wondering if the control cavity needs routed for the batteries to fit (I would like to 18v. mod them). Thanks.

13. SJT2

SJT2 Luthier Vandross

Run a simple 3 way switch and refer to the wiring diagram for the switch. You just hook them up to the switch like a pair of normal humbuckers. I used the DiMarzio 3 way switch in all of my guitars with EMG's and they all work perfect with no noise. PM me if you need any more info. I can take pics of my wiring if you really need it.

14. aerhjaerj

aerhjaerj SS.org Regular

The diagram shows a completely different switch. Or I just don't get it.
    But basically I could use my other guitar with a pair of humbuckers and a 3 way switch as an example?

15. The Necrotizer

Thanks dude, with have look into it a bit more, I played both a boss 7 band and mxr 10 band pedal straight into a marshall yesterday, both gave great control over the scope of my tone, will have to compare this to running a rack in the loop. I figure as I found my tone too bright on both my clean and lead channels on my bugera, i would probably benefit more from having an pedal EQ before my amp input rather than in the loop ? does that logic hold? are there major sonic difference in running an EQ before the amp versus in a loop?

16. OBSERVER

OBSERVER SS.org Regular

Yeah, the difference is big. Running an EQ in the loop is much more powerful.

Also, there are things that work in the loop that wouldn't work in front of the amp at all.
    It's too easy to make your tone muddy or harsh if you're adding frequencies in front of the amp.

Removing highs or lows, or boosting mids or gain works well at the input. This is a good place to
    remove ice-picky tones that originate at the pickups. That may be enough for your situation.

In the loop, the possibilities are unlimited, yet different.
    Here you can boost or cut any frequency with pleasing results. You can really dial in your low-end
    to make it tight and big. This also allows you to turn down the Bass tone control lower on your amp
    to remove any muddiness at the preamp section. This is the place to bring in the clarity. This is
    where you make your tone focused and stand out in the mix. An EQ here is a tone monster.

17. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

Are you using the solderless diagram, or the hardwired diagram?

If the former, you'll need to purchase a new switch from EMG. If the latter, I would still suggest buying a new switch, just to be safe.

18. Treeunit212

Treeunit212 Not your bro, bro.

That's exactly what I use my MXR 10 band for. Works great.

Anyways, the 707's in my Hellraiser are unbelievable. My tone has become so much warmer, and I don't need near as much gain as I do with passive pickups (dialed it back to six, which completes my JFAC 666 EQ structure). :metal:

Also, white pickups on a white guitar? :yesway:

19. aerhjaerj

aerhjaerj SS.org Regular

I ended up using my other guitar as an example and got it working without problems. Sounds is better than I excepted and I learned something about soldering and changing pickups in general.

Thank you everyone for your advices.

20. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

Hello all, and Merry Christmas. Hope everyone is having or had a good holiday this year. I know santa was good to me this year - I got my 8-string (back), got a new Dremel w/ the router attachment, an accessory kit, router bit (for doing the EMG installs!!!:hbang:) and a small set of drill bits. Plus clothes and other cool stuff... and now on to the EMG question I have...

I just recently installed a 9 - 18V system on the 8-string. The question I have is for anyone currently using & running the 18V system on their guitars. When using the 18V system, is it normal for one of the batteries to get really warm??? I am familiar with electronics and basic electrical knowledge, and know that if you cross polarity (positive of one to the negative of the other...) across the two power sources, one of them will get warm... But is it normal for one of them to get and stay warm when using a constant 18V system? And I have the second battery inside the control cavity, wrapped with electrical tape now - with that battery getting warm like that, is there anything I should do as far as keeping the heat isolated to the battery and NOT melting the insulation of other wires in the cavity??? :scratch::scratch::scratch:

Anyone using the 18V systems please comment on this, as it's got me a little concerned.