EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Acatalepsy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. TheDeltaOrionis

TheDeltaOrionis SS.org Regular

Guys I need help, I don't know what to do >_< !!
    I have a Schecter Hellraiser C7 and it has two EMGs 707 both in neck in bridge.
    Well... I don't like the EMG 707 in the bridge: where's the attack? Where's the chunkyness? Where's the "djentleness" !?!
    I want a defined and tight pickup, with a powerful attack.
    I'm familiar with EMGs 81 in 6 strings (I have an Ibanez RGT6EXFX) and I love them, that's the kind of tone I'm looking for: really aggressive, really tight.
    But, from what I read here, many people prefer the EMG 707 to the 81-7! What's wrong with it? Is it really different from an 81 (6 string)?
    I find my EMG 707 really muddy and, moreover, it's really noisy (is that normal?)...
    So what do you think about 81-7 in bridge and 707 in neck position compared to 707 and 707? Should I buy an EMG 81-7 or something different for tightness, brightness and attack?

Please help and share your opinions!!

2. Racerdeth

Racerdeth SS.org Regular

Personally I hated the 707 in the neck. It was too full on and overly middy paired with an 81-7 in the bridge (it sounded like a bridge pickup had been put in the neck slot oddly :p ), so I swapped them around. Better, but I miss the 81-7 in the bridge now! It's just a matter of time before I get round to actually buying a 60-7 and going for the 81/60 pairing.

3. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Same sentiment here - the 707 had like zero attack for me and I was always left wanting more aggressive cut and attack. Swapped to an 81-7 and now an 81-7x and voila win. In dark guitars (mahogany based) I'd say an 81-7 is a better bridge pickup than a 707

4. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

^In Swamp Ash like my Loomis, the 707 is marvelous. That said, Ash is considerably brighter.

5. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

DJ, glad to hear that the 81-7X is what you were looking for tone-wise. How is the X series compared to the normal 81-7? And have you tested it with the 18V upgrade yet? I know a few guys have mentioned that they are better than the normal EMG 7's at a regular 9V and am curious to know if that's true, and what the difference between the normal and the X tone-wise and if they'd be worth getting.

6. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

Well that, and the maple fingerboard on that Loomis will have a huge difference as well in getting that tone too! I use the 707's with a rosewood board and basswood bodied guitars and love the sound as well. But it's funny how differnet woods give different tones and sounds.

7. TheDeltaOrionis

Yeah, I'm really interested too!
    Which should I go for? 81-7 or 81-7X? That's the question :p

8. djpharoah

Here's what I think of the 81-7x with like 8 hours on it through my rig this past week. Still in the honeymoon stage.

1) The 81-7x sounds to my ears and through my rig like a passive with the clarity and thickness of actives. I honestly love the sound so far (honeymoon period). I had passives in my jackson and they sounded nice but they were to thin and didn't sustain long enough for me. One try of the 81-7x through my rig and it was heavy, thick and tight. It wasn't insanely sensitive like blackouts nor was the output over the top. It was hot but less than an 81-7. How much less output - I can't say since I don't have an 81-7 in my possession.

The cleans are also decent and much better sounding than the 81-7. The new preamp is definitely way better than the old one even with the 18V mod. Different preamp with newer circuitry makes it a different animal tone wise. It's definitely more dynamic with respect to picking and has less of that high pitch cut/attack the stock 81-7 has. So if you like the stock 81-7 and it's insane cut you might find the 81-7X to be somewhat more subdued. I love it since I'm going from passives to actives.

2) Have not done the 18V mod yet as I'm fairly satisfied with the stock sounds... that and I'd have to find/create space in my control cavity for another 9V :lol:

3) See #1.

Read all the stuff I wrote above :lol:

Hope this helps. I am going to soon get a 707-TW-X-R for the neck and run it as a true single coil all the time for cleans and those single coil leads :yum:

9. kris_jammage

kris_jammage SS.org Regular

Hey lads, anybody here have experience with fitting an EMG, preferably a 707, to an Rg1527? I imagin i would have to route out the guitar for it to fit? Would it be much and in what way? Depth, height or width?

Cheers for any info ya's might have!

10. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

My buddy, if I remember correctly, only had to rout for width, and pretty minor at that. He just used a dremel and some sandpaper, looked very clean.

11. kris_jammage

kris_jammage SS.org Regular

Cheers mate, i suppose ill have to route it anyway, just kinda wanted to know what to expect!

12. TheDeltaOrionis

Guys, I want to swap my EMG707 in the bridge position in my Schecter Hellraiser C7 with a better pickup with more attack, brightness, clarity and "djentyness" :p (I don't really like the EMG707 in bridge position, mahogany + EMG 707 = :noway: muddy and "bassy" as hell)
    But I don't know which pickup I should choose!!
    EMG 81-7 or Seymour Duncan Blackout Phase II?
    Which is better in your opinion and why?
    They both seem really good...
    And what about two Blackouts Phase II for both bridge and neck? I can put it also in neck position or it's a pickup specifically designed for the bridge? Or maybe there are two different versions for neck and bridge?

Please help!!

13. djpharoah

I'd say the 81-7 is a better bridge pickup than the BO bridge. The BO bridge is too hot for me and not very tight or aggressive enough attack. It gets it's attack from just being too hot and not from how it's eq'd imo. The 81-7 is a great pickup in mahogany since it's eq is designed to cut and be aggressive. In mahogany I'd probably go EMG 81-7.

14. Krankguitarist

Krankguitarist SS.org Regular

It's all going to be subjective, of course...

Though I think either would be an improvement in the bridge over the 707. I never liked that pickup very much.

I'm partial to the blackout bridge, but if I ever had an axe with an 81-7 in the bridge I wouldn't swap it out.

I wouldn't recommend putting the blackout bridge in the neck though. It's just too damn hot.

15. TheDeltaOrionis

Sadly there aren't many videos or audio clip that shows the sound of the EMG 81-7 :(
    But there's a great clip of Dino Cazares playing a Seymour Duncan Blackout Phase II in the bridge, that's why I don't know which is better actually...
    From this video the Seymour Duncan doesn't seem hot like you said, but really tight, bright and with a great attack:

I can't find any video about the EMG 81-7, but I know that the good thing about Blackouts is that they have a great hum reduction compared to EMGs .
    But that doesn't really matter actually... I previously said what I'm looking for: razor sharp attack, clarity and djentyness :p Hum is a minor problem (that can be avoided with Noise Reduction pedals like the ISP Decimator or Boss NS-2)

So, do you guys have more opinions and experiences about the EMG 81-7 compared to Blackouts? Or maybe are there some audio clips of this pickup I can listen to? Some guys complained EMGs saying that the 81-7 is too "thin", like this review: Review: Blackout Phase II 7-String Set - Seymour Duncan User Group Forums
    The problem is that I have no idea of how the EMG 81-7 sounds, while, from Dino Cazare's video, I can say that the tone of Blackouts is pretty good.
    I have like 20 days to replace that fu**in' 707 in the bridge, because I have a gig on november 20th at my school and I want to blow away all the other bands ahaha :p

16. Azwethinkwedo

Azwethinkwedo Gay Cage Fighter

hey, this is my first post on the forums.. But here's something i'm very excited about, if it hasn't yet been brought up.

EMG User Forum &bull; View topic - White 7-string pickups?

White 7 string pickups!

If they do a white 707 I'm totally gunna put some of them on the rga7 I'm saving for. Black guitar w/ white binding + white pickups = sex.

Treeunit212 likes this.
  17. Netherhound

Netherhound Maruta

O for the love of god, let this happen.

Even better, give some of the other 7 seven string pickups (81-7, 707tw, "the x series" etc.) the option as well.

Unless they want to go all out like DiMarzio and start moving away from the "monochrome" motif

18. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

One thing to keep in mind is that Dino is running from his Ibby's to a Line 6 Vetta 2 head... I asked him personally when I saw FF in Worcester Ma. You can actually see the Vetta 2 in the back.

I agree... EMG does need to offer other colored housings for thier 7-string pickups besides black... I would definitely put a set of the white 707TW's in my Carpenter!!! :agreed:

And it'd also be cool if they did them in the chrome and gold like they are the 6's... Guess we just have to keep waiting and hoping that one of these days it'll finally happen. Hell, it only took them over a decade to finally come up with a 7-string single coil other than the TW's... Still anxiously awaiting news about it, as I'm planning on being one of the first to have one.

:hbang::metal::shred:

19. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

I'm trying to look at my options for switching pickups, and EMGs are some of what I'm considering. If I do get them, what do you think would be a good combination? Would 707TW in the bridge and 707TWX in the neck be a good combo?

20. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

The answer to your question would be yes. I have a 707Tw's in my ESP Stephen Carpenter and have a really cool wiring configuration done with it. Instead of having the push/pulls pots that come with the pickups for the coil-tap, I used a mini 2-way toggle switch (DPDT) for each one. Using these with the 3-way blade selector is currently giving me 8 different configurations to play with. The set-up is as follows:

-Bridge/Both/Neck in Humbucker mode
    -Bridge/Both/Neck in Single Coil mode
    -Bridge as single coil & Neck as Humbucker
    -Bridge as Humbucker & Neck as Single Coil

Also on my Carpenter, I am using an EMG Concentric pot for a dual volume. The top knob is for neck volume and the bottom knob is for bridge volume. Granted, you can set it up the other way, OR set it so that one is volume and the other is tone...

So I think that if you went with the 707TW & 707TWX combo, you'd be really pleased with the amount of tonal possibilities you'll be able to have. Good luck and let us know what you think!
    :hbang::metal::shred: