EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Acatalepsy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Metalguy

Metalguy SS.org Regular

What your hearing is the difference between Alnico magnets (707) and ceramic (81-7). I bought a set of 81/85 for my 6 string Ibanez, and put the 81 in the bridge slot just because everyone else did. I hated it. So I switched the 85 to the bridge and holy shit what a world of difference.

I just snagged a set of 707's for my S7320, and I cant wait to install them.

I do have to say EMG going to a solderless system was both a great Idea and a horrible one, in the sense that it makes it difficult to mix and match older EMG stuff.

Im also trying to find a wiring schematic for 81/85, single volume, 3 way blade and an EMG PA-2. Anyone know where to find that? EMG doesnt have it anywhere..

2. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

FYI, I have 2 707s in my S. I pulled out the bridge 707 and replaced it with an 81-7X last night. I dare say that my 707 was hotter than the 81-7X. Though the 81-7X had a cool tone to it, I was looking for something more aggressive than the 707, and the 81-7X didn't cut it. In another 7, I have previously had an 81-7/707 setup and liked how the regular 81-7 cut, so, I'll definately be looking to trade this X for a regular one. Pretty big dissapointment.

3. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

The EMG 60x-7 is an amazing pickup..
    i just built a seven string with this as the only pickup in the bridge position. Before i thought that it was required to have a bridge and neck but the cost of buying a neck pup was too much and i love the look of a single pickup. Anyhow this pup has a great attack, very similar to the 81 but with a rounder and fuller sound of an 707. i really wish they make a coil tapped version cause man this thing has an awesome response.

My guitar is Ash and with this pickup on clean you get a really nice sparkling clean. if you really dig into the guitar you can even get that strat/tele twang and spank.

Under high gain settings this pickup really shines.:hbang: through a peavey 6505+ combo and also tried on a Line 6 spider III 30 watter, a laney 15watt and a randall 15watt. the guitar pup sounds like a monster through the peavey and the line 6. Its got that thick chug on the low B but doesnt get muddy at all. i tune half standard seven string tuning.

the problem with EMGS i've had in the past seem to have been resolved with this pup. i owned the 85 and 81 on my other guitars and always had some problem, either the 85 getting too muddy in the bridge or the 81 just not having enough balls.

In summary i was pleasantly surprised with this pickup choice and i'd use it in another build. if i get around to making a sound clip i'll post it here.

I hope this was helpful. i know i bought the pickup on a whim because there wasnt enough literature on this model. If there are any questions then feel free to message me.

4. jaredmauck

jaredmauck SS.org Regular

For me, the Blackouts were the way to go. But then again I'm a midrange guy who doesn't scoop the mids very often. In my last band I had to and the 707's were really good for that, but now I'm back in a rock band and out of the black metal phase. Blackouts Rule! Got mine at guitarpartsdepot.com...

5. alvaro

alvaro ... dat chugga

6. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

7. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

As for your question about the wiring for your EMG's to a single volume, 3-way blade and a PA-2. Are you using the new plug and play wiring or the older solder-style connections?

In the new plug and play stuff, you are gonna take the bridge and neck leads from the switch and connect those to the bus board for each spot. The pickups connect to the designated spot on the board (b & n...), the output cable from the bus will go to the volume input, output from the volume pot (in order on the PA-2 harness, white & black) to the input of the PA-2. The PA-2 output (black & green) will go to the input jack. Picture 1 shows the switch and the buss connections, Picture 2 shows the whole wiring job. I used the connector ends from the connecting wires to splice on to the PA-2 harness, so everything stays easy with the plug and play (Picture 3 - showing input side of PA-2...). If you do this, you'll need to cut the connector wire far back enough to work with, splice and solder both the connector clip and the PA-2 wires together. Be sure to use heat-shrink tubing to cover the solder joints where you splice them together!!! You'll nee to do this for the PA-2 input and output wires from the volume pot and to the input jack. The battery lead can get soldered to the bus board.

Not to disrespect the post, but I've attached a pic of this with the new wiring system on my "Nemesis". It has the Blackouts Phase 1's, but has the PA-2 and all the new EMG wiring system...

If your using the old style soldered connections, you'll need to solder the braided outer wire to the volume pot casing, then the inner wire to the appropriate spot on the switch. Your volume pot output will go the the PA-2 input, the PA-2 output wires will get connected to the jack. For the INPUT GROUND on the PA-2, solder this wire to the volume pot casing to ground everything off. The battery +'s get connected to each other. If you still need help, send an email to Rick @ EMG, rhunt@emgpickups.com. He helped me with a specific wiring job I did on my Carpenter using the 707TW's, 2 mini-toggles for the coil tap and a concenrtic for a dual volume and was a really big help with everything.

Good luck and feel free to email or PM me if you still need more help with it!!!

Attached Files:

8. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

And to those of you who have tried the new X series, thanks for your advice and input in advanced! I was considering getting a set of the 707X's for my green Kamikaze, and the 707TW-X's for my Carpenter. But after reading that they are slightly less powerful than the normal 707's, I think I'll just stick with what I've got in them already!!! I had asked James @ EMG about the older DC707 (Dino Cazarez 707's...) and he told me that in his opinion they sound identical to the DC707's in addition to having more headroom and whatnot.

As for further expanding thought on the 81-7 vs. the 707 and the 60-7... The 707 is supposed to be wound , toned and powered more towards the 85- which I would say is about accurate. The 81-7 I was not happy with at all, and had used them in an ESP LTD M307 neck-thru. Despite having supposed to be brighter than the 707, I still found I had a really deep and muddy tone with them. So my thought on the 81-7 is a NO. The 60-7 is supposed to be more vintage and classic sounding than the 85, especially for a neck position because of how warm it's supposed to sound. I have always run the 707's in most of the 7-strings I've had and owned, and will continue to swear and live by the EMG stuff as the day is long.

And without getting in trouble with the mod's for posting this here, but I give the Blackouts a NEY opinion as well and found them to be really noisy, especially when using things like the PA-2 or SPC/EXG. For passives, I rate the DiMarzio D-Activator 7's & the Tone Zone 7 the best for a really god and versatile passive 7 direct replacement pickup. But so far from MY personal trails and tribulations have proven to me, that EMG's are the way to go - even if you DO have to re-route the body to put them in the guitar. There is NOTHING else like them!!!

Oh and BIG NEWS guys - within the next few months EMG WILL be coming out with a 7-string single coil pickup!!! So far, the only one that's out right now is the prototype that is on the Devin Townsend Sig. Peavey V 7-string. James from EMG has told me that the official EMG 7-string Single Coil will be coming out in the next few months, so to keep an eye out for them!!! Thought everyone reading this would like t know!!!
    :hbang::shred::bowdown::cool::deathm:

9. WFD

WFD Metal.Technicity.XXX

Hellow Man
    i have a fender , 6 strings with the 81-60 set and a pa-2 but im having problems with the pa 2
    first i didnt see a difference between it turned on or off
    then, its too much to the point of getting glassy and giving me some annoying feedback.
    can you gimme a light on how could be wrong with the pa 2 instalation?
    the other question is a request
    ill be getting the sameguitar as yours
    so i would love to see how the emgs souind in that guitar
    do you have some clips?
    hails and thanks
    JP

10. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

My buddy tried them through his dual recto and was apparently blown away and said they sounded like better blackouts but not as insanely high output - more passive like. He said they also cleaned up like passives and had amazing cleans, and heavy leads and rhythm.

Anyone else try them/own them?

Empryrean likes this.
  11. C-PIG

C-PIG SS.org Regular

i haven't tried the 7 but ihave 81x's in my 6 and they slay. Thicker, and cleaner than the regular emgs, tell your friend to wire them to 18v the difference is HUGE , much more apparent than the 18v mod on the regurlar emgs.

12. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

Hey guys

Managed to pick up a pair of 707s, going to be installing them soon but as this is my first pup swap I wanna make sure i know whats what when I install them. However I looked on the EMG site which had some useful diagrams but advised to go back to their website for diagrams with more than one pickup, which then seemed to lead to a dead end.

Anyone got any good instructions for this? I have:-

2 x 707 pickup
    2 x 25k pots
    2 x Pickup cables
    1 x 3 way blade switch
    1 x 104 .1uf (little green guy, lol)

I know that i need a stereo jack and a 9v battery clip to complete the circuit, but not 100% on the wiring, I can work out using their diagrams, just cant find one with 2 pups in. Their quick connect system looks like a cool idea but seems impossible to find them in a uk shop.

13. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

Think I may have found the answer to my own question :-

[​IMG]

Is this the appropriate wiring diagram?

14. djpharoah

15. TXDeathMetal

TXDeathMetal Lemme smang it girl! Contributor

I haven't tried it, however I do have the 81-7 in my 7321 (what the guy who owned it before me had in along with a 60-7) and I have to say that I'm not too crazy about it and much prefer the regular 81 in my 6'er over it.

16. Rob_NL

Rob_NL SS.org Regular

Hi Jon!

Yes, that is the correct wiring diagram.

Have fun with these pickups :).

17. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Uhhh, I believe folks have been reporting on them in the ummm... uhhh... what's it called... you know... that ummm... EMG 7-string pickup sticky thread at the top? :fawk:

(I sold mine to cyril v. Maybe you can nudge him to chime in. I didn't get to use them because Warmoth fucked up the routing.)

18. djpharoah

Guys I'm really curious about the new X-series as my buddy said they are better for passive players in terms of feel/tone than the blackouts which are way too hot for me.

So I'm thinking of getting a 707TWX-R / 60-7X for the neck and an 81-7X for the bridge. The guitar in question is white/black limba (close enough to mahogany).

How's the 707TW compare to the stock 60-7? I had a 60-7 many moons ago and don't remember it. With the 707TW the idea of having a single coil in the neck excites me especially since you can run it in single coil mode all the time and it's alnico 5 based. Which would make a better neck pup?

I'm pretty sure the 81-7X is the bridge pup for me as I love a pickup with tight and aggressive attack and punch. The 707 I found had too much bass and was too wooly for me in the bridge.

Any advice?

Hit me up with the advice.

19. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

Yes guys, I too would like more input on the X-series EMG 7's as well.. So far I have been hearing a lot of mixed reviews and hearing that they are not as aggressive and more passive - like as compared to the normal ones...

For those that have them - What are they like tone-wise? How much of a difference is there when they are run at an 18V as compared to the std. 9V? Any and as much info as I can get would be appreciated as I am considering the 707X's for one guitar and the 707TW-X's for another and want to see if they will be what I want or just stick with the normal EMG's... Love the EMG tone and sound, but looking for more diversity between the 4 7-s I have now and more distinctive tones all around to have fun with and explore.

Also, will update as soon as I hear the official news of the official EMG 7-string single coil release. So far, it's STILL slated to be the pickups that WILL be coming in the new Peavey Devin Townsend Signature V 7, and that the 7-string single coil will be released and unveiled at the NAMM show early next year. Again, will keep everyone updated as soon as I hear the actual news...

Thanks everyone!

20. djpharoah

Just got the 81-7x installed in my Jackson and wow it's fucking amazing. Way better to my passive oriented ears. It's thicker and tighter yet it cleans up like a good passive would with the tone and volume.

Will try to record some stuff with the GSP this weekend. :metal: