EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Acatalepsy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Techdeath

Techdeath SS.org Regular

So I know if I wire up my emg 707x and 81-7 to my ibanez 5 way I will have dead spots on 2 and 4 but I want to do it anyway until I buy a 3 way switch. Can anyone advise me on which pins to connect which wires to or give me a quick diagram?

2. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

hey guys,
    so a few days ago I got my Dean custom shop Vendetta. Neck-thru, trans blue/purple burst, tribal inlays, and a set of some sweet EMG 81 & 85 active pickups. This is my first guitar with active pickups, so I have a question. How long does the 9V battery last? I thought it was around 6 hrs, but I'm only getting about 2, maybe 3. I'm spending a ton of money on 9V batteries. I'm wondering if its a soldering problem? But I took it to a tech at GC, and he said the wiring looks fine. If 2 hours is normal, is there any alternative to a 9V I can use? Don't get me wrong, I'm a serious shredder and the active pickups are changing my perspective of the instrument, but do you guys all just get a lot of batteries? If that's the case, I may go back to passive just because they're cheaper.
    Thanks for any responses, RG.
    PS, sorry if this has already been asked, I just didn't want to look through every page for an answer.

3. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Are you leaving the guitar plugged-in when you quit playing? You must unplug the guitar when you're done (or done with amping the guitar at least).

You should be getting months of daily playing from each 9v.

http://www.emgpickups.com/faq

4. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

the guy at Guitar Center said 3 hours was considered a lot. I am unplugging it, by the way. So what can I do to get more time out of it?

5. Noxon

Noxon Is a Lurker

Shit, I have a guitar with actives and it has been over a year and it's still going. On average an Energizer 9v will last me six months or so. That is playing a lot. Like Trenchlord said, unplug when not playing. It's just like a pedal on battery power. If you're unplugging and it still lasts only a few hours, something's wrong...

6. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I am unplugging it, I have a few pedals and I only have to replace the batteries in those every couple months or so. So what is it about my guitar? Every time I'm done playing it I unplug it and lock it back up in the case. So does anyone have any plausible causes for this?

7. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

@the guy from GC ; :scratch::lol:

I'd check the wiring yourself (because the guy from GC isn't very up on things obviously), making sure it matches exactly with EMG website diagram.
    Make sure it has the proper volume/tone/outputs (25k + 3-lead output).
    Make sure to use a quality 9v. (copper-top, energizer, even the more expensive Rayovac is fine, just don't go for the $1 cheapo shwaagg-weed batteries:lol:)

8. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I contacted the people over at EMG last week, and they said to wrap the battery in electrical tape. I'm already noticing a difference :) Thanls for your help guys

9. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I'm a passive guy for most of my gigging days, I have a Jackson COW7 which has a stock 707 and it has buzz on the high gain ch. of my 6505+. My gain is just at 5. And there is this gain hiss. I though maybe it is the nature of the beast. My other Jackson with Invaders don't have that problem.

Recently scored a DKMG with stock 81/85s and they also have that buzz. Do EMGs really have that buzz in high gain? Wiring looks good. My gain is set fairly low. No TVs, screens or fluorescent light in my room.

How do I remedy this problem? I thought EMGs are ultra low noise pickups.

10. Tj_saxon

Tj_saxon SS.org Regular

Hi guys, just curious is there any difference in tone between the emg metalworks vs. Just the normal plastic covered emgs? I only have experience with the plastic cover but I feel like the chrome ones would look better in my PRS. Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated.

11. Geysd

Geysd SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I'm about to pretty up my old LTD MH-400 STB Trem.

I don't have the money to buy new pickups and the old EMGs (85 and 81) are starting to bore me,
    so I thought about changing the cap. First of all, does anyone know if it's possible to change them?
    And second question would be, if you know if the Schaller 162B and 162N would fit?
    I like look of the new EMGs with the six pins on each.

Thanks for help so far!

edit:

Don't have to google, here are the new caps:

Schaller 162N @ Thomann
    Schaller 162B @ Thomann

12. NikoBaza

NikoBaza SS.org Regular

I have bought this couple of pickups, they are not new, so they are not the solderless version. I want to set up the 60 in the neck and 89 in the bridge, but I'm having problems to find a proper wiring diagram. I have the 60, the 89, one V pot and one T pot. Does somebody know how the wiring is? I will thank you so much.

13. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yes, but need to know what you are using for a switch. 3 or 5 way blade? 3 way toggle?

14. NikoBaza

NikoBaza SS.org Regular

Thanks for answering. It's a 3 way blade

15. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

This should work for 1 EMG (neck), 1 89 (bridge), 1 volume, 1 tone, and 3 way blade switch.

[​IMG]

89 Wiring Color Code
    [​IMG]

16. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

I swapped the Duncans with the Zakk Wylde set on my Jackson KE2 as soon as I got them, I never had any issues with buzzing, but I did have issues with a metal bridge on an SG before, it buzzed when I put my hand on it, could be that.

17. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

How hard a process is it to replace a passive EMG or an active one?

18. Carcaridon

Carcaridon SS.org Regular

The new solderless process looks pretty simple and straight forward. I'm about to do this with a JH Set soon. It looks like hooking up a computer. Just plug things in and follow the wiring diagram.

19. JTL

JTL ss.org lurker

Hey guys i just got a new gtr. Its an Ibanez S7721pb. Question...

Ive got a good EMG 81-7 laying around. Is it easy to add it in the neck and use both a passive and active pickup at the same time?

20. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Curious question if anyone knows - Do any present EMG pickups offer an option for Parallel and Series, or is the 89 still the only EMG pickup that offers a choice of wiring (In this case, a split sound)?