EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Acatalepsy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Acatalepsy

Acatalepsy SS.org Regular

So, I finally got around to swapping out my 81-7 for a 707, and it's pretty much exactly the change in tone I was looking for. The 81-7 just wasn't built for the job, no matter how I EQ'd my amp. Sure, I could just add gain on the amp to make up for the comparatively low output of the pickup, but that just made my tone fuzzy and ill-defined. What I was looking for was more chunk, and the 707 delivered that. There's also a lot less high end rasp to it, which I'm quite happy about. Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this!

2. Key_Maker

Key_Maker 9V inside

Well, i got a couple of EMG-X for my demon (81-7, 60-7) and they fell kinda weird at the begining but you realize that's a completely different beast than the others. More open and bigger tone, less compressed (a lot of headroom) but also less gain, if you like the others, you'll miss the hi-fi high end, but if you like the passive style of sound, you should try'em. Crunchy tone, but without that massive attack that i love from the originals, i like the ultra defined open chords, but sometimes i miss the attack.

I recorded a shitty demo: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1057412/demos/EMGx_mezcla.mp3 (i know, some DFH from hell drums)

cya.

3. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

^That actually sounds great! But... no chugging!? :squint:

I'mma have to ask you to redo that with some chuggy/djenty riffs--aka, palm muted power chords and inversions. :yesway: Some fast palm muted thrash-type stuff would be great, too. :D

I'm putting together a Warmoth 7-string and this is precisely my dilemma: 81-7 + 60-7, or 81-7x + 60-7x. The tone in your clip sounds great, but I wanna hear how it handles djent, too.

I wouldn't care if EMG had a satisfaction guarantee like EVERY OTHER PICKUP MANUFACTURER. Maybe they do, but I sure can't find it anywhere. I called and emailed about it, still waiting to hear back.

4. stevo1

stevo1 ClearTrack Studios

my experiences with the new emg-xs are good ones, but they are different pickups! i mean, they still sound similiar, because i have an 81-7 now in the neck position, with a new 81-7x in the bridge, and i switch them whenever. its easy to do, so i do. yes, they do have slightly less gain, but they also have more clarity, its awesome! but for me ill probably just keep the reg. 81-7 in the bridge perminately. but they are still awesome, definitely a good buy! oh and they work ok for the chugging, but you have to mess with your amp settings and your picking technique.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not really.

With open style jacks, when one of the pins wears outward, you can just bend it back, and it'll be good as new. With barrel jacks, your only option is to replace it.

Look at it this way, the barrel jack will last longer until one of the pins bends out, then you'll need to replace it. An open jack, which may be more susceptible to bending out, can easily be fixed without a replacement. Of course, it'll eventually need replacement.

6. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Thanks for the input. :yesway: Question though...

If you adjust your setup so that either pickup gives the same volume and distortion (or as close as possible), do you notice any more dynamics in response to picking with the new X-series? For example, on most passive pickups, I can go from clean to solid rock crunch (not quite brutal metal chug) just on picking.

Of course, if anyone else can chime in on this question, it'd be just as much appreciated! :)

7. Leonhart231

Leonhart231 SS RG Rager

Fail post. Sorry.

8. Key_Maker

Key_Maker 9V inside

^Start asking in a non-emg post.

Thanks for the input. Question though...

Yes, they have a little more headroom, but it is an active pickup, i don't really understand why look for something, like pasive dinamic, in a thing design for the ultimate monster chug with a lot of definition.

Also, the obviously sound thinner than a pasive, but they cut through the mix like normals EMG.

9. Leonhart231

Leonhart231 SS RG Rager

Thanks Key Maker. Methinks I clicked the wrong thread. XD

10. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

This is a clip of a 60-7 in the neck position of my M-307, but you still get a rough idea. There's some clean first, then some lead.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/60-7.mp3

It's a fantastic neck pickup, but i get the impression I wouldn't like it in the bridge.

11. hed5789

hed5789 SS.org Regular

hey there which is better 81-7 or 707? as i've a custom viper 407 that needs a new pick up please help cheers:metal:

12. Sebastian

Sebastian Poland CEO / RHLC ©

each to their own I guess :scratch:

I tried the 81-7 and 707 and I prefer the 707. Better low... and well overall better tone. :metal:
    the 81-7 had awful low's - it was so weak.. a joke indeed.

13. eyebanez333

eyebanez333 SS.org Regular

It makes it a pain to do a clean install :agreed:

I like the 81-7 in the bridge and 707 in the neck :shred:

14. hed5789

hed5789 SS.org Regular

cheers guys will have a blast on both then lol

15. Key_Maker

Key_Maker 9V inside

16. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

^At first I thought, WTF??? But then I realized, those clips are actually cool because you can "reamp" them with your own settings. :yesway:

17. Acatalepsy

Acatalepsy SS.org Regular

Don't forget to try the 18V mod on them too ;) I find the 707 running at 18V is ideal for my purposes

18. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

To put it simply; 707 = wet, 81-7 = dry.

707 is really saturated and has an enormous output, and a really unbiased frequency response, hence why some people think it has a better low end. The 81-7 is really crisp, dry, tight and focused, which is why I much prefer it. It's certainly more of a lead player's pickup IMO, or someone who wants a more aggressive attack

19. evil toki

evil toki SS.org Regular

I was thinking about that new ESP LTD MH-417 7 with Blackouts in the bridge, if I got the Phase 2 I could just swap'em like nothing with the quick connects right?

20. Key_Maker

Key_Maker 9V inside

^Just unplug, plug new ones and say good bye to this thread :lol:

Yesterday receive my Parker with 85 in bridge position and a 60A at the neck and i'm in love with the smooth, rounded, mid-richness of the 60A, reminds me a lot the tone and the compression of a nice Paf but with the clarity and definition of EMG. The 60 has a harsh high end imo, this doesn't. is like a 85 with less gain and there's no volume change between the 85 and 60a, very balanced tone also.

i hope to record something one of this days.