emg pickup buss without green terminal block how to connect 3 way switch ?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by snp100, Sep 17, 2017.

1. snp100

snp100 SS.org Regular

Hi guys I have 2 emg pickups 81/85, 2 volumes and tone. The buss doesn't have a terminal block so I can't connect the pickup switch. Do I have to get another buss or maybe solder these toggle switch wires to wherever. I have an LP guitar but I don't care if I will have two volumes or one in that guitar.

ps: there are only B N O G letters next to these 4 pins I guess they are for those emg switches.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

isnt this covered in the paper instructions that come with the pickups? Or did you buy them used?

Either way, you should be able to find installation instructions for this on the EMG website if you dont have paperwork. Perhaps that can help?

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. snp100

snp100 SS.org Regular

They were used. I found some old 4 pin cable and soldered it to the switch and pinned it to the buss. I have much less output in 81 than 85 I don't know why.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

have you tried finding the relevant installation PDF via EMGs website suitable for your particular wiring scheme, so you can retrace your steps and look for errors?

5. snp100

snp100 SS.org Regular

I think wiring is correct. I tried rewiring it to one pickup without tone and couple different combinations but 81 sounds weak like it's far away from strings so less output and less bass but 85 sounds properly. Pickups are at correct heights.