EMG 81 half output problem

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by PatientMental76, Mar 6, 2018.

1. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

I had the Gary Holt red EMG 81/89R combo installed for about a year & for some reason the 81 lost half its output! I couldnt find any wiring issue so i took it to my local tech who works magic with guitars (he's been doing it 30+ years) and he could not find the problem so i had to install another set (SD's Nazgul & Sentient set) he was telling me either the pickup crapped out or there is a problem with the board! My question is has anyone ever encountered this problem before & how did you fix it? Has a EMG ever failed because ive never heard of it! This sucks because i had the guitar dialed in & it sounded awesome, now im starting from scratch because it sounds completely different

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I've never heard of that either. Though I'm curious why you took the entire thing out, replaced it with completely different, passive, pickups, rather than just replacing the parts. The EMG quick-connect system lets you swap pickups easily. You could have put the 89R in the bridge and see whether it works. If it does, your wiring and pots and fine, and the 81R is broken. If not, then you know it's a pot. You could then just wire the pickup directly to the output jack, and you can buy replacement quick connect pots online.

3. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

The 89R has completely different hookups than the 81 so i could not put it in the bridge. i thought of this. The replacement quick connects are different as this is with the Holt sig set, id have to get another Holt set to replace the wiring. The Duncans i had sitting around which is why i threw them in

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Only time I have ever experienced that is when the battery connection was terminated.

5. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Wow, ok. That's super annoying. I wonder why they made it different. I thought the whole point was that the whole EMG system was interchangeable. Sorry I couldn't be of help then.