EMG 707Tw set is dead after soldering

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by gujukal, Jan 2, 2018.

1. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Hi! I installed a passive pickup set a while ago in my Schecter Hellraiser, recently i removed that and installed in another guitar. I'm about to sell my Hellraiser so i tried to install the old EMG 707TW pickup set in it with no luck. I followed this diagram: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/att...on-schecter-hellraiser-c-1-wiring-diagram.jpg
    I'm pretty sure I wired it 100% correct but no sound at all. I'm thinking that the volume pots broke or the input jack is damaged. I tried a fresh 9v battery with no luck. Anyone have any idea? I'm thinking of buying a quick connect kit but that's pretty expensive.
    Last time I'll ever try solder EMG pickups lol, always had problems with them.

2. rowsi

rowsi SS.org Regular

Detailed pics of your work would be very helpful.

A suggestion tho: Check the push-pull connections and whether you realy got the input jack right. I once flipped tip and ground.
    And maybe check if you soldered the volume pots the other way round. If you get sound when you turn the volume pot "down", then you found your mistake.

3. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Dude, thanks! The input jack had a cable connecting the ground and tip (weird but maybe it was used for passive pickups), i removed it and now i have sound from the pickups :) Both happy that it's fixed but also a bit mad of wasting around 6h on such a small mistake..

rowsi likes this.
  4. Metalman X

Metalman X The Resplendent Sub-Human

Manchester, CT., United States Of Vinland
    Another thing you might wanna check, and this is one that can be easily overlooked, is depending what kinda' output jack you have, make sure however it's seated, the tabs aren't touching the sides of the route.... it's likely sprayed with shielding paint and everything could be wired correctly, but if the tab for the hot is touching it'll ground out and cause no sound, same as if you rolled the volume pot off. I typically put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the inside of the jack to insulate against this possibly happening.

This can sometimes happen in tight control cavities too.... a tab on a pot might be grounding out against the side if it's a really narrow rout and the pot is pushed up against the side when the pot was installed. I've seen it happen more than once.