Emg 707 to Dimarzio Swap

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by svartablixten, Oct 25, 2016.

1. svartablixten

svartablixten SS.org Regular

I'm sitting here with a couple of 7's and thinking about swapping from omg to a pair of Dimarzios I have here. EMG's mounting holes sits tighter between each other than the Dimarzios and the Dimarzios won't wit in the guitar. While thinking about how to solve it I decided to open up a Dimarzio do get a closer look at it and I just started to wonder what all this wax is doing? anyone knows the purpose? I guess to separate the poles or smith, but how much does it matter if some wax falls off?

Anyway, does anyone know how to decrease the mount hole space on the Dimarzio to make them fit and to also decrease the mounting plate to get it in the guitar body? As for now my best solution is to cut off the two "flanges" and glue them back a bit inwards under the mounting plate and re-use its old holes.

[​IMG]

2. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

The pickup is wax potted. Otherwise, the thin wire wrapping each bobbin might vibrate, causing feedback. Not a big deal if some falls off from there. That kinda helps keep everything square and in place, but it won't really impact the performance of the pickup.

Sanding/shaving/Dremeling the tabs is a good way to get them smaller. Then you could use an electric drill to redrill new holes to match where the EMG holes are, if you can get that close to the bobbins.

3. svartablixten

Alright, thanks for lett me know. then I worry no more :)

Yeah, I guess Ill do that. Somehow I think there should b some bottom plates in different sizes available for purchase? Haven't found any though.
    Guess I'll just dig into it with my tools :) thanks man

4. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

It's possible that Mojotone (in the US) would sell you some baseplates that would work. They make passive pickups that go under the EMG-sized covers. And they do sell pickup parts. I don't know that they'd separately sell this type of plate, but it could be worth asking if you don't want to take a Dremel to your baseplates

5. svartablixten

Thanks man, I'll check it out for future projects. I just cut and sanded the endings and tomorrow I'll get a drill small enough to make new holes. so far so good :)