Elysian's Custom

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by JPMDan, Jun 16, 2006.

1. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

Well the other day Elysian came over and brought his first guitar he's built for class and since Im very close by and he's in town for a limited time for school I invited him over so I can do a review for everyone here's the results.....

[​IMG]

Features - 10

Swamp Ash Body with Myrtle top. Maple Set Neck with Ebony fingerboard.
    very simple controls 2 volumes and 1 tone plus a 3 way toggle switch. 2 Dimarzio X2N's
    Neck wired in Parallel bridge wired in series. Bridge is a Tune o matic string thru body
    Tuners looked like locking sperzels. Neck is not fat but not skinny either very comfortable. The
    Straplocks where recessed into the body which were really awesome idea as well.

Sound - 10

I'm extremely impressed with the X2N's, even though they were made for bridge position Elysian
    made them work together in bridge and neck positions perfectly. In the neck the X2N retained
    the extra thick chunky rhythm while retaining full detail and clarity in distortiion when turned
    clean you would swear you're playing a active pickup it was extremely clean sounding for a high
    gain non active pickup. Bridge position had a in your face metal sound harmonics seem to just come
    out of the guitar. You can pinch harmonics any where around the pickups and you can find different tones
    where some where screamingly bright while others where dark sounding but still wicked.

Action, Fit,& Finish - 9

when I opened the Hardshell case first words out of my mouth was holy shit. The finish was gorgeous, the
    quality and workmanship was easily noticed. The body shape seemed like one that BC Rich or Neal Moser
    would have made. The finish was very gorgeous it's a red burst but more like a red wine burst. The
    pickups screamed metal through looks and sound. The frets were in great shape and the inlays were totally killer
    1-half of 12 was mop and the rest was abalone sharkfins (Elysian Style). The headstock resembles a mix of
    Jackson and Ibanez without being neck heavy. The action is very low and played flawless. When I looked
    at the side of the neck it was hard to tell where the fingerboard was, it looked like it was one whole piece
    instead of 2 pieces. The only part that made this section a 9 was the lack of ability to easily reach the
    upper frets due to the lower horn but this was because Elysian had to come up with the design and build this
    guitar on short notice for school.

Reliability/Durability - 10

Even though I dont own this guitar just from playing it for awhile It felt like it was a heavy duty axe that can
    take a beating in a gig, we didnt have any issues and this guitar just plays like a dream.

Overall Rating - 9.8

This is one serious guitar for any metal guitar player out there. It screams it chugs and it can play clean
    The guitar shows great craftsmanship and plays effortless. If you guys want a seriously excellent guitar talk to Elysian about making you one.

If anyone wants to ask any questions at all feel free to ask or PM me. Be sure to keep an eye out for 1 or 2 more reviews on his Sigma 7 string and/or Superstrat 7 string.

Rev2010 likes this.
  2. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

Very nice! I like the angry puzzle piece body shape! :hbang:

3. 7StringofAblicK

7StringofAblicK Contributor

what's the neck like on that, size/shape, fretboard radius?

4. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

it's similar to an ibanez wizard but without being flat, feels like a nice C shape. When he comes over with his Sigma 7 string I'll find out the radius. It had 10 - 60 GHS Zakk wylde strings and I was bending them fairly easily.

5. Elysian

Elysian Banned

its a compound radius, 12" on the lower frets and 16 up high, same with my 7 string... the neck is 737 thousandths of an inch thick at the 1st fret, about 800 at the 17th fret, which puts it slightly thinner than ibanez necks, but it still has enough meat behind the truss rod that its not weak. my 7 string V's neck is 750 at the 1st fret and 810 at the 17th, but it has an asymmetrical neck profile so its totally different from the 6's or any ibanez neck... the superstrat i'm building has a very ibanez feeling neck, it feels just like my UV777BK and RG7421, its around 750 at the 1st fret and 800 at the 17th as well, right in ibanez territory.

6. David

David je t'aime Contributor

Metal as fuck.:hbang:

7. Ibanez_fanboy

Ibanez_fanboy I want a 1527!!

8. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

It looks kinda goofy with some inlays abalone and the others not. It would look better being uniform IMO, otherwise it looks cool.

9. angryman

angryman Djentleman

Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
    Dude you've gotta build me a 7 i just love the headstock you've designed too.
    What sort of price would you charge for a basic 1 pup S style 7 or possibly an RR7?
    I'm in England too so there'd be a shipping charge.

10. Elysian

Elysian Banned

its called creativity. in case you didn't notice, the split is at the 12th fret, where the 12th fret itself is both mother of pearl and abalone. i was going for a theme.

i'm not doing copies.

11. Michael

Michael Forum MVP

It truly seems to be one amazing guitar. Great review. :metal:

12. zimbloth

Oh, it's called creativity. I see now, that changes everything.

13. Elysian

Elysian Banned

guess theres no accounting for taste... least its not a K7 in the middle of the fretboard.

14. zimbloth

Elysian, if you can't handle feedback on your guitars you post here, then grab some vagisil and get out of this business. I've said time and time again I thought your guitars are quite nice, I just had that one minor criticism. Deal with it.

15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:lol:

Ok guys, they're only inlays. ;)

[action=bostjan]does not like inlays.[/action]

16. zimbloth

Exactly.

17. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i did deal with it, you just don't like how i went about it.

18. evil

evil vile

That guitar is badass. I like the abalone inlays. Anyone who doesn't like the inlays can get something else, it's not like he's holding a gun to your head forcing you to have inlays. I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe you guys both ought to cut back on the sugar or something, dude. Saying you don't like inlays has nothing to do with the way the guy will make a guitar for someone else. Lots of people love inlays. Don't push your inlay-nazi-isms on me, bostjan. :fawk:

19. zimbloth

:noplease: Read what I said dude. I just gave some minor feedback on his guitar. I said I liked it. I didn't say anyone was putting a gun to my head to buy it. You guys need to lighten up.

Elysian, If I give a small criticism, you don't have to respond with smug dumbass comments.

20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Holy shit! :ugh:

Umm yeah so anyways… Elysian, have you come up with a logo to slap on the headstocks or are you going to leave them blank, or are you not sure?

Come on guys, lets try to stay on topic and not get too negative, sorry if my jokes/comments were misunderstood. I didn't mean for anyone to take it as being dogmatic, thus the " ;) "

Adam, I vote for piezos in one of your next creations, however far off that may be. :)