Elysian Guitars - The Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by ElysianGuitars, May 23, 2014.

1. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Lets get this shindig started. Some of you already know who I am, and what I do, but for those of you who aren't familiar with me, allow me to introduce Elysian Guitars to you.

I am Adam, Sander-in-Chief and current only employee at Elysian Guitars. You can find my website at Elysian Guitars | Custom guitars for the modern guitarist. It's a pretty basic site that I mainly use to post build progress, but it will be expanded in the near future to include information about models, ordering, etc. My contact info is also on there, because I like to keep open lines of communication. I'm also on Facebook, here.

Let me tell you a bit about my build philosophy. First and foremost, I believe in tonewood. It matters. It's not the be all end all of tone, but if you plan your build around the tone you want, I believe you will be happier with your guitar.

I'll try anything once. Sometimes that works out quite well, like my carved top drop top, or my drop top belly carve, or my asymmetrical neck carve that's accompanied by an off-center truss rod. I'm always looking for new ways to push the art of guitar building forward, I love trying new things, and I'm always trying to challenge myself to come up with simpler methods.

On that note, simplicity is a beautiful thing. My builds are done the old fashioned way, my most technological piece of equipment is my HP OfficeJet printer, it even has WiFi. I have very simplistic methods that result in fantastic, accurate guitars because I take the time and put forth the effort to do things right. My tools are simple as well, I use a Porter Cable router, a Delta drill press, Delta bandsaw, Ridgid joiner and planer, and an onyx sanding table that's freakishly flat, use that to get all of my flat surfaces. I'll eventually build a CNC, but still prefer to get my hands dirty.

I prefer hard finishes, namely nitrocellulose lacquer. I've got a ton of experience as a guitar finisher, including spraying finish on the acoustics at Collings Guitars and Allison Guitars. Every guitar leaves my shop with a finish that's to the same standards of quality as Collings or Allison, which is to say a VERY high standard, and a finish that's not too thick or too thin, but just right (0.007-0.008" in thickness).

I really like doing multiscales, and I have a method of slotting multiscale fretboards that is not only repeatable, but accurate. I build my own bridges for my multiscale guitars, again simplicity being key, and really enjoy being able to be in control of the hardware in that regard. My multiscale bridges have made their way to my single scale guitars as well, because it's such a simplistic design.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been around the block a few times, but I'm an open book. Here's some pictures, enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sevenstringer37

sevenstringer37 SS.org Regular

Yes, I know I never really post here but it's worthy to drop a few words about Elysian Guitars.

Having worked with Adam on that FF9 build pictured:hbang:, I can say the experience has been very rewarding. I started the build with a completely different design, and wanted to make my new own design after he already got started on the old design. Thanks to Adams patience attention to detail and innovative ideas, we have a much better guitar than I envisioned. He's very open to suggestions, not afraid to try new things, and he's ACCOUNTABLE!

Build times are quick, theres updates and pictures each day showing the progress, feedback is excellent. Communications fantastic, fluid as if you were speaking to your closest friends. Having been down to play my 9 and his other guitars, they are all built with care and trump high end brand guitars anyday (the single cut 6 is a very dynamic and solid guitar). Pricing is extremely reasonable and you will wind up with an instrument that far exceeds what you paid for. I quoted around with Siggery, Oni, S7 at the time but nobody was willing to build a basic FF9 let alone one that was the same price point as a high end brand model. Adam delivers and with money in the bank.

I am in the works of commissioning my second build with Adam now, thinking headless fanned 8 string. His own hardware (bridge in this case) allows you much more versatility (intonation, saddle type, height, angles, tone) than brand hardware while being quite simple. The other brand hardware he offers and uses is the best you can get, no cutting corners here too.

Definitely keep an eye on Elysian Guitars, high quality craftsmanship, open ear to any design requests you have, and proper business ethics are very hard to find if you look away from here. :cool:

3. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Finally back to work after the break in.

[​IMG]

Routed the Freeway switch on the 9. Weather has slowed down the finish process, but it will move forward soon enough.

[​IMG]

Glued up this neck blank. The wenge pieces are scarf jointed while the shedua pieces are one piece. Should be really strong.

4. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

Lovely looking work. I take it you're the same Adam as the Elysian account? I used to like your old work updates on here :yesway:

5. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Yep, same guy :yesway:

6. OrsusMetal

OrsusMetal In brightest day...

I dig the headless design. Reminds me of Todd's single cut with the placement of the cuts.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, these last two builds of his are just beautiful. I love the FF9, and that single cut with the binding is incredible.

8. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

ditto, and I own one of TK's. Good work man.

9. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Todd is a great guy, he was the first to get me interested in the asymmetrical neck carve. I took that a bit further with the off center truss rod, but credit where it's due.

Design wise, I feel like there are only certain ways headless guitar design should be, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I love how Todd does his. Probably a bit of influence there.

[​IMG]

The headstock decal on the multiscale 8 is buffed out and ready to go. Have to make a nut for it and set it up, then it’s done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flattened the new neck blanks’ glue faces (it’s going to get a headstock veneer).

[​IMG]

Started assembling the new spray booth. Tomorrow the roof will be installed, then it’s time to start turning it into a usable booth.

10. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

I also have this guitar available for immediate purchase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs:

Pickups - Lollar P90's
    Bridge - Hand made Elysian Guitars hardtail bridge with Hipshot saddles, string through body
    Body - Sapele mahogany
    Neck - Ash with bubinga stringers, ebony fretboard, ebony headcap, satin finish, 7"-12" compound radius, Dunlop 6100 sized frets, MOP dot inlays, white side dots
    Tuners - Gotoh 510 locking tuners, chrome with ivoroid bittons
    Nut - Graphtech TUSQ
    Scale - 25.5", 24 frets
    Electronics - CTS 500k pots, Switchcraft jack, vintage style 3 way switch
    Finish - Nitrocellulose lacquer finish, tobacco burst with 2 tone pore fill

Price is $2000+shipping and includes a hard shell case. Accept PayPal, Google Wallet, and Popmoney.

11. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Oh hai!

[​IMG]

Another new neck blank. This one gets an ash headstock overlay.

[​IMG]

Roughed in this neck and glued on the ears for the headstock.

[​IMG]

First coat of lacquer went on the 9 string. This is where it will stay until the spray booth is fully operational.

12. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed the threaded inserts and counter-bored the holes. Those aren't the bolts I'll wind up using, I just need to find the right suppliers for the ones I want.

[​IMG]

Slotted the ebony fretboard for the walnut build, and glued the flame maple headcap on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut the truss rod access slot for this one, slotted the flamed maple fretboard, and bound it.

13. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

mod edit: keep it to one update per day unless you're responding to someone else's questions or something like that

I've still got the Deep Eddy single cut listed above, and I'll gladly offer a $50 finders fee for anyone who helps me move this. Buyer must indicate you referred them of course. Put some cash in your pocket and help Elysian Guitars!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Routed the pickup routes, drilled for the volume and tone, routed the control cavity, drilled the barrel jack hole, and routed for my standard cavity cover.

[​IMG]

Here’s the flamed maple headcap from yesterday, with tuner holes drilled.

[​IMG]

Glued the maple fretboard from yesterday on.

14. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Wow! I dig!

15. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Today I learned that working on carbon reinforcement rods should be treated just like working on fiberglass. So itchy.

[​IMG]

This neck (the wenge/shedua neck with ebony board for the walnut/flamed maple superstrat build) got routed for a truss rod and a pair of carbon reinforcement rods today, and got the fretboard glued on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This neck got carved and fitted to the body today.

16. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got a lot done in this build today. The neck pocket was routed, the threaded inserts installed, and the neck and volute were rough carved. Only going 3 you bolt on this to allow for for maximum heel sculpting. The threaded inserts allow for there to be more than enough contact pressure with only 3. Could probably get away with 2 even.

17. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

[​IMG]

Finally got the right bolts in.

[​IMG]

Got the roof on my soon to be spray booth.

[​IMG]

This is the brass I’ll be using to make head pieces.

[​IMG]

Action shot. Drilling string holes on the headless head piece.

[​IMG]

While making the first headless head piece, drilling the first string lock hole, my bit disintegrated. Luckily I got it out of the piece.

[​IMG]

My apprentice has been learning how to sand things flat. He sanded this fretboard to thickness (and this one doesn't get a radius, so it's done). He's also properly thicknessed a pair of shedua neck stringers and flattened an ebony fretboard in preparation for radiusing. I'll be doing the radiusing of course.

18. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Nice!

I like the logo you ended up with there. I remember at one point in the past you were playing with a logo that looked more like a logo for a home appliance manufacturer.

I assume your feelings on basswood haven't changed? ;)

19. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Not really :lol: I'll use it if someone REALLY wants it, but I won't like working with it! :rofl:

20. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Now you can start your sideline business in spray tans! "What shade for your trip to Majorca, madam?" "I think I'll go for bubblegum blue with gloss nitro, please."