Elric: Michael Moorcock

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by distressed_romeo, Nov 19, 2006.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Who's read these books? Classic fantasy, and a long-term staple of heavy metal lyrics!:)

I'd love to see them made into a film sometime...

technomancer likes this.
  2. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

I used to want to be an albino after reading Elric. :lol: (I was young, so shoot me.)

I don't know that I'd call it classic fantasy, although I get what you mean, DR. It's just that Elric was so dark, and moody. It was sorta like the feel of maybe 'Dark Chrystal' or somnething, you know? Very different from the Tolkien-type stuff.

But still cool. I loved Elric back in the day. And Arioch, whoa, what a cool... uh, bad guy? Y'know, I haven't read Elric in probably 15 years. I need to re-read it, after The aDark Tower. Good stuff. I've always lovwed anti-heroes. Look at my avatar. The Man In Black, aka Walter o' Dim, aka Randall Flagg. Thanks in large part to Elric.

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Elric is a fantasy classic. An absolutely fantastic series. Hmmm, I also haven't read them in forever... I'll have to do that.

As for a film I would have said impossible before seeing the LotR series, but now I think they could do an awesome job. I think the problem is they'd never fly as they're too dark.

4. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Also, as a character, I suspect Elric would be totally uncastable, as I don't think anyone would really nail him properly...

Still...one can hope...

5. Vegetta

Vegetta SS.org Regular

I'e read most of the moorcock's eternal champion stuff stuff - Elric, Corum , Count Brass

good stuff

6. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Geez, I hope I won't get a ban for this necrobump, might Arioch be by my side.
    Totally love Elric, the best anti-hero in fantasy/sci-fi.

For all Elric lovers, Glenàt has a new graphic novel by Julian Blondel, Didier Poli, Robin Recht and Jean Bastide.
    I must say that for now it's pretty awesome.
    I have only the first volume and WOW!!!

[​IMG]

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Something I have never liked on some of the books and in various illustrations is the concept of Elric as a muscled hero, instead of some skinny geek who could barely lift his sword. I know that sometimes an artist doesn't do anything other than read a synopsis before doing a book cover, but that weakness was central to the character.

In that vein, the huge shoulder plates in the illustration above make me fear the same thing over the course of the work.

BTW, since this topic reminded me to go look at my "Elric: the Dreaming City" graphic novel from long ago, I ran across a copy of Epic Illustrated #8 with a Howard Chaykin cover, which I believe originally prompted me to research the lute, therbo, cittern, and eventually led me to ERGs.

[​IMG]

That was all before the Internet, so I spent a lot of time at the university music library poring through books and specialized magazines, as well as researching old tabulature.

I remembered all my therbo research while looking at a recent "dual scale build" topic, but didn't remember what first set me on this path back in 1981 until this topic....

8. OmegaSlayer

He's not properly a muscled guy in this version.

9. OmegaSlayer

I can't find Corum stuff :(
    I read every Elric book, the Erekose/Eternal Champion ones, the Hawkmoon saga, but can't find Corum in Italian.
    It was released like 30 years ago, and it's impossible to find

10. lansleepxces

lansleepxces SS.org Regular

I'e read most of the moorcock's eternal champion stuff stuff - Elric, Corum , Count Brass[​IMG]

11. twizza

twizza Social Assassin

Don't forget when he teamed up with Blue Oyster Cult.

12. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal SS.org Regular

Been planning to get the eight arrows of chaos tattooed on me somewhere for a while... but haven't got around to it.

You know... my avatar. ;)

<----