Elite Dangerous

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by leftyguitarjoe, Sep 27, 2015.

1. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

The game went on a pretty good sale so I picked it up. After like an hour heres what I got:

Its really complicated. I like that sorta thing, some might not.

Imagine Eve Online but with actually fun, fast paced combat. You sit in the cockpit and zoom around like in star wars.

Anyone else play?

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I definitely want to give this game a try but will probably wait for it to drop down in price even more.

3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

w00t!

I just hopped on the Xbox One 'preview' version for $30 about a month or two ago, but didn't really get into it until the last couple of weeks.

The learning curve is absurd. There's a hand full of in-game tutorials that don't really teach us much, and beyond that it's on us to go watch stuff on Youtube or wherever, in order to figure out how to go about playing the game.

I love it, though. My current, generic goal is to rank up through the Federation until I get the permit for Sol, so I can then go fly around Jupiter.

In the meantime, I'm currently flying a Viper, and my focus has been mostly split between high-dollar smuggling missions and low-level bounty hunting. So basically I'm Han Fett. Or Boba Solo, if one prefers. :lol:

4. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

I do really wanna get this game but also wanna wait for it to get cheaper/go on sale. Also, I'm looking forward to No Man's Sky's release. :D

5. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Are there any other elements besides the whole space travel? Like I'd love to see some colony exploration, and space stations that aren't just dock here and then go to other dock on supply runs.

6. leftyguitarjoe

There might be at some point. They are regularly adding new content.

7. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Decided to buy it. Downloading now.

8. leftyguitarjoe

Prepare to take 10 minutes figuring out how to launch.

Definitely go through the tutorials.

9. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

I wish they told you that you NEED a joystick, or at least a controller to play this before buying the game. I got out my 360 controller and I'm still struggling with turning the damn thing.

Please tell me this gets more fun.

10. Choop

Choop n______n

It should work fine on a controller, though personally I would want a joystick to get more of an experience out of it, plus it would probably help with maneuvering. Flight sticks are expensive though unless you intend to spend a lot of time on stuff like this (which i totally get. i have a fightstick for playing fighters and i realize it's a similarly big investment).

11. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

I wouldn't feel so bad about that if I didn't just sell a joystick I hadn't used for years. If only I knew. :lol:

12. Hywel

Hywel SS.org Regular

If you're playing on PC then I definitely recommend a head tracker. It sounds silly but it works amazingly well with this game. Rather than pressing buttons and stuff to control the UI I literally just look left and right slightly in real life to open them menus in the cockpit and I can easily keep tracking targets when they're above me or off to the sides. :D

It's basically the step before an Oculus Rift (and TBH I actually found the game easier to play with this than a Rift)

I use one of these which cost me about £15-£20 for the DIY version. If you can solder pickups you can make one of these! https://edtracker.org.uk/

13. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

That's sounds line the most amazing futuristic peripheral ever and seems super fitting for this game.

14. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

I'd love to get this if my PC would run it (it'd have a CPU meltdown if I even just put the installation disk in!!).

I've loved Elite all the way since the original in the early 80s (for reference- I think EVE was inspired by the open nature of Elite). Back on the original, the real challenge was docking- lining up rotation with the station entrance. This was before analogue joysticks and mice were not a common thing back then (1982). So one of the key purchases of the game was a docking computer.

I quite like Oolite too- upgraded version of the original with buying and selling of ships with loads of mods for adding ships, stories etc.

I was skeptical that Braben would get it out when the Kickstarter was launched (it took forever to get previous editions of the game onto shelves- delayed for years or indefinitely), so I'm really impressed and surprised at the achievement of it.

I quite like Oolite too- upgraded version of the original with buying and selling of ships.

Oh for a sh!t hot PC and decent joystick/throttle combo and multiple screens! :)

15. synrgy

I've been playing with the xbox controllers, and I'm doing okay.

Don't get me wrong: The learning curve is balls, and the tutorials are.. Sparse..

You may need to modify some of the defaults in order to make the game more controller friendly for you. For me, it only took a couple minor tweaks: In any game, I always invert my y-axis for look or pitch. Apart from that, I turned off the 'yaw lead in' for rolling, so that (provided I'm in 'standard flight mode') my left stick is pitch/roll, and my right stick is yaw and the up/down jets. The 'yaw lead in' was driving me crazy because I'd want to do a slight roll for better alignment while entering a docking bay, but it would want to turn, instead.

The only control issue I run into is during combat, where I frequently have a tendency to push the analog stick 'buttons' when I'm doing steep dives or climbs. Since the right stick's 'button' switches between controlling the ship and turning one's head, it can be really jarring mid-dogfight! :lol:

It's taken me weeks to get to a point where I'm even beginning to understand the nuances of the gameplay, let alone the general controls. My only real gripe is that I have zero interest in getting into the commodities/trade-route thing, but that appears to be one of the only ways to make significant in-game money. In the meantime, most of my cash has come from the occasional smuggling mission titled "For Medicinal Purposes Only, You Understand", and/or from jumping into skirmishes to help Feds take down wanted ships.

16. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Been a player since the beta.... or, rather, I played the 8-bit original back in the mid-80s!

Beautiful game with incredible sound design. Just be aware that you have to make your own fun, it's not really story-driven.

A joystick really helps, heard that controller is OK but I'm a controller retard so can't confirm.

Definitely do the training first. It's pretty tough but will give you a great idea of the mechanics.

I don't have EDTracker, but do have VoiceAttack installed. That works really well.

Don't want to trade? Bounty hunting is fairly lucrative, some of the missions are (although you need to level up for the good ones first!), and exploring can give you a lot of cash but takes a long time to do. I flew to Sag A*, galactic core, and back which was ~2000 systems visited and took me 3.5 weeks. Payoff was 53 million credits of detailed surface scan data.

I'm running it on a laptop, SSD, 12GB ram, Gen 1 i7 Xeon, GTX 485m. Most of the time I hit 60fps at 1080p with medium/high detail settings. If you've got a relatively modern set up you should be able to play without any problems.

17. synrgy

I think I found my niche last night. In the system I've been using as my base of operations (Rhea) there's frequently a civil war happening, and one of the high-intensity conflict zones is just a couple light seconds away from one of the system's starports. I made a couple million!

I also lost about a million getting myself blown up a few times. :lol:

18. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Haha. So reminds me of some of my escapades in EVE...

19. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

So Elite Dangerous is only $15 on Steam right now, but I don't have a joystick only a 360 controller, and I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the steep learning curve of the game because it sounds pretty challenging from what I've read (though my favorite game is Dark Souls, for what that's worth though it's a very different game). Decisions, decisions...

Edit: Also will have to make sure my PC can run it at decent settings, though I don't think that will be as much of a problem.

20. asher

asher So Did We

God I'm so tempted with the sale. I miss good space fighter games dearly, but I'm not sure how much I will actually play (and I don't have a joystick any more..)