Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Vicissitude27, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Dragons are irritating, whether they're easy or hard to kill. Either way it takes forever, because you have to wait for them to land to get some hits in, or wait for them to hold still long enough get some shots off with a bow. Even then, once their health is low enough to land permanently, half the time they fly off like a thousand miles away up the side of a mountain, so you have to run a marathon and climb Everest just to finish them off and get the damned soul.

Fuck dragons.

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

True, but I also have Deadly Dragons Armoury and it gives you good dragon armour sets, just need to collect materials from them, including Armour Pieces which don't always drop. And I use a Souls to Perks mod that is 1:1, so makes it worth while for me. Don't blame anyone that wants to keep them out, though.

3. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Well still no Ulfric, will ahve to hunt for Stormcloak fighters to give me the quest.

4. Grand Moff Tim

You know, i'm always seeing hunters wandering the wilds of Skyrim, so I figure why not try that lifestyle myself? I made a bosmer build, and he's just going to be a hunter. I'll travel from town to town, selling whatever I find while out on the road. I'll only sleep in my own campsites, never in an inn or house.

I'd also like to only eat or drink what I can find or scavenge, but there's an annoying conflict between the clear water mod I use and the "Fill Bottle" function of Realistic Needs, so I'll have to settle for paying inkeepers to refill my empty bottles, while still eating only what I catch and cook myself. I'll still have to buy things like garlic and salt, but that seems realistic enough, since I'll be selling and trading.

I don't know if there are any quests that fit with the character, though, so I'll probably only do random stuff I stumble across in caves or whatever.

5. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

My oldest save is one of these. Its fun to brave the northern regions for the coveted snow animal pelts.

6. Grand Moff Tim

I ran into an issue with my Hunter, and it was mods to the rescue again.

You see, being a hunter is apparently much more lucrative than I had anticipated. I'm traveling a circuit of Skyrim using the following route: Whiterun > Riverwood > Falkreath > Markarth > Solitude > Morthal > Dawnstar > Winterhold > Windhelm > Riften > Ivarstead > Helgen > Whiterun.

I hunt whatever animals I come across along the way, and loot the corpses of any bandits who cross me. Then, I sell my pelts and loot in the next town on my route. I'm not even going into caves, forts, or barrows unless there's a blizzard and I need to warm up. I just entered Riften on my circuit, and I've already accumulated 21k septims.

As I've mentioned before, though, I use a weighted gold mod, which means 21k septims take up loads of inventory space. I don't and won't have a permanent house with this build, though, so what's a poor bosmer to do?

Why, open a savings account, of course!

Imperial Mail - Post and Banking Service at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

That mod lets you open an account at any Inn and many taverns, and you can use it to deposit and withdraw money, or pay to send loot from one location to another, so you don't have to lug everything everywhere. I just popped into the Bee and Barb, opened up an account, and deposited 20k into my savings account. You even get a bank book in your inventory that actively keeps track of your banking and parcel activity. It's a really neat mod so far (though the controls are a touch clunky).

Recommended, for an interesting new touch of added realism to the game.

7. Grand Moff Tim

Here's a shot of the inside of the bank book:

[​IMG]

8. Grand Moff Tim

Up to nearly 50k septims, and I haven't even completed two full circuits of Skyrim. :lol:

I'm really digging the archery skill tree with SkyRe. I actually haven't used any other offensive skill since I was like level 2, and I'm up to level 24 now. I use the longbow for sneak shots at distant targets (or the crossbow, if it's an armored humanoid), and then switch to the shortbow when they close the distance, because it can get off shots nearly as fast as a melee character would be able to get hits in with a 2H weapon.

The doomified Elder Scrolls theme I've been working on is slowly coming together. I added a bit more at the end, tweaked the levels a bit, re-recorded one of the guitars, and experimented with panning. It isn't finished yet and it's far from perfect, since I'm still new to the whole home recording thing, but I'm... erm... not unhappy with it :lol:.

https://soundcloud.com/grand-moff-tim/doomified-elder-scrolls-theme-intro-take-2

9. Grand Moff Tim

Welp, mods fucked me again.

I was having some wonkiness with SkyRe Reproccer, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Doing so, however, caused me to get that "This save relies on content that is no longer present" message, and then a crash to desktop.

"No big deal," I thought, "I'm sure I can work something out.

I DLed LOOT, to try to sort that out. It pointed out all the files I needed to clean, so I DLed TS5Edit and went through and cleaned out each problem file individually. Then I ran LOOT again and applied it, and...

...nothing. Still borked.

Ferk.

Wat do? I don't want to have to erase all my saves again. I was happy with the progress on a couple of them.

10. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

^ Did you try creating a Merge Patch in TES5Edit?

One of the more recent NMM updates screwed me over on mods for New Vegas and creating a new merge patch in NVEdit helped fix the issues with crashing to desktop after I reinstalled my mods manually.

I haven't installed any new mods for FO3 or Skyrim in a while, for that reason. I do *not* feel like going through the slog that is manually reinstalling my mods for both of those games. I don't have that kind of free time and when I do, I prefer to do something fun, not boring. :lol:

11. Grand Moff Tim

Do what now? :lol:

I'm impressed with myself just for being able to clean files with TS5Edit, I have no idea how to go about making a merged file or whatever.

12. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

When you're in TES5Edit, after everything has finished loading, right click on the left side of the program where the drop downs are and there should be an option that says "Create..." then in that menu click "Merged Patch" name it as you please, then bring up your preferred mod manager and make sure you activate it in the plugins tab. EDIT: just checked on my version of TES5Edit (I could probably use an update), and the merge patch option is under "Other".

This video is for NVEdit, but they're basically the same, plus Gopher knows what he's talking about, being a mod author for FO3, NV, and Skyrim.

13. Grand Moff Tim

Okay, that might have helped, haha.

I (hopefully) managed to properly make a merged file in TES5Edit. When I opened my save file, I still got that "This relies on blablabla" message, but when I opted to continue loading anyway, it actually went on to load my file, rather than crashing to desktop. Then I just created a new save file for that playthrough, and now it opens no problem.

Hopefully I won't run in to any problems down the road with missing stuff, but at least for now it seems I won't have to scrap my builds. Score. Thanks for the tip!

14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I get the same problem with getting the "This save relies on content that is no longer present" message and then crashing to desktop, but only if I click Continue. If I click Load at the start menu and then pick a file, the message will come up again but it won't crash. Not sure what the cause is but it sometimes happens if I stop using a mod.

15. Grand Moff Tim

One reason I was hoping to not have to scrap my save files is that I was having fun with my most recent build.

I decided I want to do a build that focuses on shouting, especially since SkyRe added perks that affect shouts to the speechcraft tree, and shouting increases the speechcraft skill.

I didn't come up with a deep backstory, but I did come up with a pertinent backstory, which I can explain with two pictures.

First, this build wears a disguise when he's wandering around or when he enters a town:

[​IMG]

He's wearing a full Skaal outfit, to provide full cold resistance for Frostfall, and a golden mask that was added by one of my mods. Not sure which one, though :lol:. Probably immersive armors or something. That's Lydia in the background there, wearing Vokun.

Anyway, when he needs to engage in combat, he loses the disguise and puts on his fightin' suit:

[​IMG]

Look familiar? Of course he does! That's Sheogorath Junior. His backstory is that Sheogorath came to the mortal plane one day and got jiggy with a mortal, Greek-god style. Sheo Jr here is the product of that coupling. I had a picture of Sheogorath as he appears in Skyrim open on my phone while doing the character creation, to try to come as close as I could to looking like him. I think I did alright. :lol:

He wears the disguise to keep people from recognizing him. I'm trying to fight primarily using spells and tactics that make me laugh (read: Fus Ro Dah ALL the things), and I collect every piece of cheese I find.

I got the outfit from the "Call of Madness" shout mod that adds a Sheogorath-centric shout and some similarly themed clothing and weapons to the game (throw flaming cheese, summon armor mannequin marionette, a sword that turns enemies into a pile of wine bottles, a staff that fires wagons, etc). None of the items or spells are overpowered god-items or anything, though the outfit skirts the line. It's supposed to reduce shout cooldown by 25%, but there's a glitch or something with the coding that reduces the cooldown time completely, so there's no waiting at all between shouts. That doesn't make me immortal or anything, but I can certainly turn certain battles in my favor by just spamming Unrelenting Force :lol:. Also, the cheese-throwing and food-flinging spells add actual cheese and food to the game world, so I can't go around casting it all the time, or I'll bog down my save files and loading screens, haha.

Anyway, yeah. Good times.

16. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Dude thats awesome as sh!t

17. chaneisa

chaneisa Marc Spector

Killer job on making him look like Sheo. I thought you just used a mod that let you be him until I read that you actually made him look like that. Damn near spot on, man.

18. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I'm bumping this because of the remastered version :mf666:

Anyone else download the remastered version?

I put around 16 hours straight on it release day...called in sick to work :lol:

Graphics are way better, game play is smoother...and best of all...the load times are 10 sec at most. My character is a lvl 15 Argonian at the moment.

19. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Haha, I really wish they would have released it a week earlier since I had whole last week off from work. I've been playing daily since the release and I still only have 12 hours. :ugh:

Started a brutal Nord character. Using only war axe and shield. No bows and sneaking this time. :lol: I really don't notice any difference in the graphics and the game actually runs at lower fps surprisingly even though I'm using more powerful pc than I used to. There's still some bugs too.

20. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I have it downloaded. I fear starting it up because I will lose a ton of time to it. Soon, though... Soon, I will start sinking another million hours into the game.