Economy Picking recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by works0fheart, May 19, 2017.

1. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Picking this up recently after using alternate for the better part 13 or 14 years now. I've been a big fan of players that use it for so long and now I'm finally learning it. Sort of. I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction for exercises that may have helped a few of you.

Rick Graham and Frank Gambale have been my favorite two so far, Rick especially. The dude has insane control over his hands. I'd like to build up to that.

2. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

As simple as this sounds, this practice kick worked for me:

--d-u-d--d--
    D---------7--
    A-7-8-10----

And just build speed up with the "dah dah dah dant" getting the feel of just rolling the downstroke from the a string to the d string.

3. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I've been doing that and similar ones and I'm actually noticing a pretty big difference. I've been able to sweep pretty well for a while so some of that was coming through in my regular picking technique here and there but not consistently enough and it was causing a lot of issues. So far though, I can feel a really big difference, especially in 3 note per string patterns. It just feels a lot more simple.

4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I can do it really fast ascending and incredibly incompetently descending, most irritating.

If I break the descending parts down in the same sort of way as in the second post it's fine but as soon as I try to involve more strings it goes to pot.

5. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I actually have a hard time strictly alt picking anymore once I got used to economy picking. It just feels much more fluid and natural to me now.

I would use that exercise and vary it by going up more notes, going up and down, but essentially getting that transition down-down stroke clean. Also, same for the up-up stroke coming down. It also eventually helped to add little two and three string sweeps in here and there.

6. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I won't pretend that I know what I'm doing, but one thing I've kind of picked up on that seems to work for me is being sure to remember to always set myself up to be able to pick in the direction of the string I'm moving to.

For instance, if I'm moving from the A string to the D string I would be sure to use a downstroke and conversely if I'm going from the D string to the A string I would want to be using an upstroke.

I'm not sure if these exercises I've been doing here will be of help to anyone else, but here's a few simplistic ones that I've been enjoying using. These shapes/patterns are really easy to move around the fretboard as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

I can't alt-pick for .... so I've been putting more focus into eco-pickin' and I do think it's helped me out a lot. A lot of patterns that came more naturally to me because of how I instinctively want to play have opened up and I'm noticed things flowing more smoothly these days.

The biggest hurdle I had to get used to was using my forearm to change strings and using my wrist for notes on the same string. I guess this is generally important for alt-pickin' too but it didn't really hit home until I started working with Frank Gambale's instructional video. The forearm movement is what keeps the whole thing together.

The other thing that I'm still getting used to is how easy it feels by comparison. I'm used to resistance so when I start playing cascading licks I find myself losing control just because the feeling of playing is so much easier that I had before and I won't be ready for it