Ebonizing fretboard?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by L1ght, May 7, 2012.

1. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Hey guys, I've got this black oil dye stuff from a buddy because I want to turn my fretboard black. No clue how to do it. I know there is a thread here on how to do it, but I can't find it.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

2. EpicFlail

EpicFlail SS.org Regular

L1ght likes this.
  3. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Thanks dude! I actually have the same exact oil dye. I think my friend got it from Stewmac actually :p

4. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

I'm doin mine tomorrow. :)

Pretty simple--mask the neck, dry up the fretboard (I'll be using MEK, but I think naptha is more common), rub on, let sit, wipe off, repeat if necessary.

I'll be using Minwax Ebony and some wiping cloths on rosewood.

5. benny

benny SS.org Regular

Correct. I used some alcohol wipes to dry it up. One more tip; after you're done with the last stain session, wipe it off good. Like real good. Don't stop until NOTHING is coming off on the cloth. If anything gets on the cloth, it will get on your hands.

Good luck guys, post results!

6. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

I didn't dry out the fretboard before I stained.. but the guitar I did it to already had a pretty dehydrated fretboard as it was. Hopefully if I do multiple stain sessions it will work out okay. The dye took to the fretboard pretty damn quick though and it's already super black as hell. Can't wait to see what it looks like after the next few coats.

Will post results.

7. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

So here it is. I decided to try this out on my el cheapo LP since it wasn't being used, and now because of how good it actually turned out to be(I thought it was going to be a disaster) I'm putting new strings on it, tuning it to standard and using it lol. Looks pretty sleek with the rest of the body being jet black.

Not sure if the pictures do it justice, but the fretboard is REALLY black. And I wiped it clean until no dye rubbed off anymore. Sorry about all the crap in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Bump. What should I use to dry up the fretboard? Could I just put rubbing alcohol on wipes or a napkin or something and use that?