EBMM JP7 Troubleshoot

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ALMoDrummer, Jun 4, 2012.

1. ALMoDrummer

ALMoDrummer SS.org Regular

[FONT=&quot]Hey all,

So I recently picked up an old school EBMM JP7 off of a friend. I swapped it out for the Crunchlab / Liquifire combo and am loving the feel of the guitar...however the sound isn't what I thought it would be.

I also have an Ibanez Prestige 7 and it sounds ballsy and has a lot of cut and attack. The JP, not as much. The strings sound weak when I pick them...and I pick VERY hard. I have brand new D'addario strings on them and the new Crunchlab / Liquifire on them, so I know it's not those. I can't figure out why it doesn't sound like what it should. Help?[/FONT]

2. ItWillDo

ItWillDo MOUTHOFTHERIVER

Have you swapped the pick-ups yourself? If yes -> are you certain that the wiring is correct?

Another mistake made often is that people wire the pick-ups into the guitar and screw them all the way in. Did you bring the pick-ups as close to your strings as possible without getting interference?

3. GSingleton

GSingleton Sleep on, Fly on Vendor

I have played a few and honestly, I do not like the sounds I get either.

Check your pups, but at least for me, I do not like how they sound and several people have said the same.

4. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

i recently tried the crunchlab in my JP7 after having the D-sonic in it. i've already thrown out the crunchlab and will be getting something with lower output.

the problem is that with either the D-sonic or the crunchlab the guitar has too much output for most amps. i found out that it works great with modelers or digital amps since there you can adjust the input sensitivity, but not with real tube amps. usually, i circumvent this issue by adjusting the pickup height which directly affects output. since you can't adjust pickup height with the JP7 (at least not with my guitar), you're stuck with a very hot pickup placed really close to the strings.

i'm sure the crunchlab and d-sonic would sound great placed a tad further away from the strings, though.

5. mhickman2

mhickman2 The Abiding Dude

Be sure your wiring and pickup height is correct. The CL/Liquifier combo doesn't have crazy fast attack, but it's certainly good enough for the brootz. It should definitely have plenty of cut and clarity. In my experience, they have always been consistent in their sound and have always been good enough for fast riffage.

6. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

This sounds like its not wired correctly and the coils are out of phase or are possibly in parallel instead of in series.

The stock switch in a EBMM JP model is a special switch that when wired correctly, will run the South coil of the Liquifire and the North coil of the Crunchlab in parallel for an stratesque sound. However, that makes it difficult to wire for the novice solderer and can easily result in only not having the humbuckers perform the way they are intended to when the series mode of operation is selected for each individual pickup.

7. ALMoDrummer

That could be what it was. I had the CL/Liquifire combo put in this guitar by someone who wasn't my usual guitar tech...

But the sound is definitely not the pickups. Like I said, I have the same pickups in (basically) all of my guitars. This is the only one that sounds really whimpy.

How do you set the coils back in phase? I've never messed with pickups really...I figured I'd fuck something up.

8. ALMoDrummer

I did make sure the pickup height is right...I always keep them close to my strings. It must be a wiring thing. There's no reason a 2000 dollar guitar should sound flubby