Eating Disorders

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Oxygen42, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Decon87

Decon87 SS.org Regular

Yea, that's some good advice to shed the weight. Cardio and full body stuff will do that quickly. Later one when you've lost the fat that you want to lose I'd look into a bulking routine, but for now that's perfect.

Pull downs are your best alternative to pullups. Weighted pull downs like this guy is doing:

[​IMG]

Either that or assisted pullups if you go to a gym. You can set the weight which basically assists you so that you're only lifting your weight minus the weight you set.

Also, throw pushups into that set of excercises if you want it to be more effective.

2. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

Honestly, the hardest thing is breaking the cycle and getting out and doing it.
    Then changing the eating habits.

3. Ibzzus

Ibzzus Jangle/shoegaze-core

I doubt I have an eating disorder, although I never really got myself checked up, but I only eat food when I am extremely hungry. I can go weeks with just one meal a day. The whole concept of eating seems like a chore. When I do eat, I eat really fast and don't chew as much as I should, I just want to get it out of the way so that I can get back to whatever I was doing. I have been skinny my entire life, and this practice isn't helping. Food just doesn't do it for me.

4. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Definitely pushups as a fairly easy one. You'll probably struggle to do many at first but just work at trying from the ground, even if you don't get any lift, until your arms give out. Then try again a minute later, until failure (your arms die), then another minute later. Even when you're able to do 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 eventually that'll take a couple of minutes at most so that'll be less than 10 minutes to do a few sets. I do one day on, one day off as you want to give your muscles a chance to recover so you can come back stronger.

Also try doing them from your knees rather than your feet to start. That'll make it a little easier. Make sure your body isn't limp: you want your body to stay as straight as possible but I feel sticking your butt out a bit is better than being limp, as it'll at least work your abs a bit.

Low split squat jumps are a good one for your legs (down on one knee, use your other leg to jump up and swap your legs. Keep going until you die. Even do it as just standing up then back down if you don't yet have the explosiveness for jumps. You probably don't.)

Crouch when you need to pick things up. Stand with slightly bended knees and stick your butt out a little when you are standing around, to get more muscles involved.

Stand and walk more. Waiting for the microwave to blast something, stand and wait (or do some pushups); waiting for a plane/train/bus to board then stand; idling at work, stand; at a bar, get a place up by the bar so your friends can sit on the high stools but you can stand.
    I've seriously lost a load of belly since I've been standing at work. Some days I'm tired so I'll vegetate but most days I'll stand unless I'm typing a long email. I'll crouch to type a short one (or this post).
    Calories Burned Standing Vs. Sitting | LIVESTRONG.COM

Even little everyday change, like the aforementioned crouching to pick things up, not using your hands to help you when you try to stand up, fully straightening your legs after each step on a staircase (especially if you go 2 or 3 steps at a time), walking with your weight on the balls of your feet so your calves work more, these sorts of things will give you little extra uses of your body and practise certain movements to make workouts better.

As far as I understand, the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns, just by existing and sustaining itself so even these small exercises should help a bit.

Swimming is good, as you mentioned, cardio and full body workout with minimal resistance and damage, provided you know how to swim and don't drown. :p When I'm way out of puff when swimming, I do back stroke to let me breathe easier while still using my muscles.

If you don't have a pullup bar, chuck a towel over a door and grip the towel as your bar. It'll work your grip more, which'll help to build your forearms, too.

Burpees are horrible, if you really wanna work yourself!

I'd recommend taking up something like Muay Thai, so you're doing an activity which keeps you working hard, with someone else to push you, and you to push them as you swap who's striking and who's holding pads. You don't need to spar to get the benefits of it: pad sessions can be really hard work without being hit!

Various planks, side planks and hip bridges will do good things for your core, as will buying a swiss ball (<$20) and using that as your chair when you're at home: lift your feet off the ground as much as possible and build strength and endurance in the muscles which stablise you to keep you balanced.

5. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

Ive faced a very similar problem since coming to University.

Now I wouldn't say that I have an eating disorder, more so I'm just a weak, lazy, food loving junky.

I'm third year now and I've been consistently falling off the wagon in terms of health, I was sitting at about 180 when I arrived and now I'm up at 230, 6"1.
    My Girlfriend has recently lost a bit of weight and has been great inspiration, but not enough to completely curb my habits. Im just totally addicted to unhealthy food, I think about eating literally all the time. Its usually not "what am I going to do today?" Its more along the lines of "What am I going to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and the multiple snacks inbetween each". Getting into an exercise routine has never been an issue for me but kicking my eating habits since getting here has been hell...I cut out beer about 4 months ago and thats helped (We drink a lot here :lol:) but Im having a hard time resisting the urge to order dominos every couple days, or stopping off at mcdonalds for lunch.

Counting calories has been something thats worked in the past but my last few attempts ended in failure, any new apps or tricks I should look into for kicking my eating habits? I'm moving into a new place tuesday so I really want to seize this opportunity and try to get into new routines.

6. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Start making your own food, even your own homemade versions of the unhealthy things: burgers, pizzas. You can make them with better ingredients, intentionally make smaller portions and add in healthy things to pad it out. Buy loads of fresh stuff and make sure you eat it before it goes off. "Crap, this'll be bad in a couple of days, better make something with it now. **google recipes with [ingredient]**"

7. Cloudy

More home cooking is a great idea, our current apartment has a pretty miserable kitchen with a corner pillar counter and a tiny ass sink. Making anything totally destroys the whole kitchen. Its super off putting so we find ourselves ordering out a lot, or running down and picking food up from somewhere.

Ill try to really push that when we move in, this place has a MUCH better kitchen.

8. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

MyPlate Calorie Tracker and Fitness Program | LIVESTRONG.COM

This is what I use to track my caloric intake every day. I'm trying to add the pounds on, so I'm eating around 4,000 calories a day. If I don't use it, then track a similar amount the next day, I realize how much I miss. For instance, I stopped using it for a while out of sheer laziness. Started using it yesterday and ate more than I usually do to try and compensate, and I still came up 1,000 calories short of my goal. So it helps put things into perspective and lets you know exactly where you stand in terms of your macros (calories, protein, carbs, fats). I've got it downloaded on my iPhone (it's free).

9. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Make the most of the tiny kitchen. Not much room to store stuff: buy fresh and in limited amounts. Cook only what you can eat sensibly as you won't be storing much. No storing means less to binge/snack on.

10. Cloudy

Just to give people the '10 day update' I've been pretty damn successive cutting down on my eating. Calorie intake has gone down to a healthy level and we've started to actually use our kitchen.

Lost a few pounds as well.

Hopefully Ill be able to keep steady with this, I can feel my stomach shrinking and I have to admit its a good feeling. Yesterday was the first time in years that I physically could not finish my meal at a restaurant.

11. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Good job, buddy. Glad you're feeling the benefits, not feeling it as a chore. :)

12. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Good job for sure! One thing that always helps with anything in life that we typically dread doing is to find what you really like about it. Find something about cooking and healthy eating that you can indulge yourself in....for lack of a better word. :lol: There are about 10 different forms of weightlifting. Mine just happens to be powerlifting, and that's after going through different routines and styles to find just what I like. Keep it up, brother!

13. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Agreed. Hopefully you'll save money by cooking for yourselves and can use that to go do fun activities together, which should further help.

14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

One interesting advice that I have actually seen working a lot: eat, and then go shopping for your food. That way you'll be able to reason yourself into buying decent stuff needing cooking.
    If you go shopping while hungry you'll be more easily prey to junk food.

15. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Yup^^^^
    Also don't forget the simple stuff like fruit juice, soda, beer or alcohol,tea and coffee if you like it sweet. Another killer is gatorade or energy drinks.

I need to find a way to get some meat in me as well, I hate meat but am tired of to much carbs and same old food. Right now I am not racing or cycling hard and had to cut back the carbs, I have a hard time getting enough calories from veggies and trying to build some muscle its hard to get enough protein.

Had some chicken the other day and my head was just brutal, I felt so sick and had to distract myself to get my mind off it. Going to try it again tonight and just face the mental issues and deal with them..

16. Cloudy

Have you considered just eating legumes instead? You don't necessarily have to eat meat.

17. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

I do eat them pretty much daily but the problem is type of protien and getting enough, lots of beans!
    To get 140 grams a day that's allot of beans and oddly not enough calories.

If I can get my head around the mental block of chicken or fish I think my cycling performance would be greatly improved.

18. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I mean, do you also have an issue with whey protein?

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

So, I'm not sure that what I'm about to talk about is necessarily an eating disorder, but I think it's maybe close enough related

Recently I've been so completely disinterested in food or eating. I guess that I like the way food tastes, but not enough to actually go through the effort that it takes to eat it. So, instead of eating breakfast or dinner I just drink a meal replacement protein shake for people who are trying to diet. I do generally have a small sandwich or something for lunch when I'm at work, though I kind of don't really enjoy it.

Is this safe to do? The instructions say that I'm supposed to be eating foods with the protein shake, but I haven't been. Maybe just a glass of vegetable juice or something to make sure I'm getting my vitamins.

Also, from a psychological standpoint, has anyone ever gone through a phase like this? Where consuming food is almost another chore, like taking out the trash or cleaning. I know that there are foods that I like and I can eat them, but the amount of pleasure I get from eating a food that I like yields diminishing returns. I'm pretty much only eating because I know that I have to to be healthy.
    The reason I wouldn't call it an eating disorder is because (even though I'm not perfectly happy with how I look) I don't believe it's really related to me wanting to change my body.

What do you think? Is it so bad for someone to live only eating real food about once a day and make up the rest with powdered protein shake? Provided I do keep up with my vitamins and minerals.

20. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Ask an astronaut.