Eating Disorders

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Oxygen42, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Oxygen42

Oxygen42 Bedroom Shredder

I understand that eating disorders among men are much less common than among women and as such I'm an outlier, but I'm curious to see if there's anyone else in this sausage-fest forum who suffers from an eating disorder. I'm a 16 year old male living in Canada, suffering from EDNOS with symptoms of excessive exercise, restriction, and purging. Anyone else here comfortable with sharing any experiences or views?

2. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I have Pseudodysphagia. It's basically an irrational fear of choking, which has caused me to go without eating solid foods for up to 3 years at a time. Needless to say, it has played hell with my social life and health over the years until I found a good psychotherapist to work with and begin exposure therapy with. I nearly died of it.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not sure if this is going to help at all, but modern research is starting to show that much more men have eating disorders than originally believed. A lot of it has to do with how differently male eating disorders work compared to those in women.

At my work we recently had to sit through a seminar about this, as it's starting to be a problem in some industries, especially those which aren't conducive to a regular eating/sleeping schedule and especially those which are heavily staffed by one gender.

So you're not alone, not by a long shot. There are probably plenty of guys you know that have their own problems, so there's no need to be feel any shame.

Sorry if that didn't help any.

4. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

My girlfriend's mother and younger sister both struggle with eating disorders. Her mom's is pretty much from a lack of care and responsibility, which has lead her to have image issues, and her sister has the image issues that were pushed on her by her mom. Luckily my girlfriend didn't develop any sort of long-term effect from it. I don't know a whole lot about the science behind eating disorders, nor do I claim to have any sort of insight that could help reduce or eliminate any of your symptoms. But, I have seen first hand what it can do to a person, and how difficult it is to struggle with, so I am completely empathetic. I think I speak for more than a handful here in saying that you're more than welcome to post about your struggles and woes, and someone will always be here to give you a pat on the back and help get you out of the dark places you get stuck in. Hope everything turns out for the best, man. :wavey:

5. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Seconded.

6. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I have a lot of experience with ED's. They can affect your blood sugars, your electrolytes, your mood, your self-image, your relationships. .. they are all consuming. No pun intended.

Food and our attitude towards food affects our entire lives. Be careful. EDs can destroy.

Personally, I don't have a clinical ED, but was married to someone who did. Her ED affected me with food guilt. I have a hyperactive metabolism- I'm a tall, slender, very physical hard working dude and really should be eating about 4 or 5000 calories a day- which can be hard, both time-wise and just financially! Throw food issues in and that can get screwed up easily.

Look at it this way. Our bodies are truly a temple that we build. Okay, so maybe we just maintain or renovate them, but you get it. Food is medicine, fuel for the machine that houses our minds and souls. Take care of your self.

7. Oxygen42

I wasn't really intending for this to be a thread of me whining, but I've been really struggling lately, which is why I made the post. I've never liked anything about how I look, but the past few weeks it`s been much much worse. When I look in the mirror, all I can see is horrid deformities. My eyebrows are different shapes, my eyes are different shapes, my teeth are uneven, my body is strangely proportioned, my knees angle inwards. I feel like a freak, and the past few weeks I've been thinking that I'd rather be dead than continue looking the way I do. I've been purging 3 or 4 times a day, and working out for an hour to an hour and a half pretty much every day. I"m at the bottom of a hole, and I can't quite find a way out. It feels like the only thing that will fix the way I feel is to lose more weight.

8. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Dude. All these self-image doubts are untruths. Every single person in the world is a wonderful, unique, beautiful, astronomically unlikely creation of eons of genetic magic. We are the way we are for a reason.

Weight is bullshite. I'm skinny. It runs in my family. My buddy is a big dude, barrel chested, big paunch.. runs in his family. We are both weirdos.. runs in the families. Beauty is bullshite. Fashion standards, created by fickle societal trends. Look at the history of what is considered "beauty".. always changing, manipulated by modern marketing. ..

Your health is what's important. A healthy diet, healthy lifestyle, a healthy outlook on who you are. You are a single, unique individual and worthy of being happy. Just let yourself. Be Your own best friend. Stop torturing yourself with other's ideals. Stop driving yourself to despair over not being something else. You are you. There's only one you and this world needs you to be you.

Purging weakens yourself, throws you into imbalance. That's not you. That's hunger, malnutrition, the headaches, the desperation, telling you untruths. Bullshite like you're not good enough, like you need to be different. Fock that noise. Don't listen. Food is medicine. For your body. For your soul. For your heart. Be healthy. Be truthful. Believe in yourself. Believe the truth.

Find others with EDs. Listening to their stories will give you a real insight. EDs can destroy. Like all self-destructive mental illnesses, EDs will try to make you believe their lies when the only want to destroy you. Don't believe the lies- you are worth the truth. The truth.

9. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Oxygen, don't think for one second you are alone in this, as said above more people have some portion of a disorder but don't know it or will never mention it.

I have been fighting it all my life but my problem is different than yours, I have to sum it up as a fear of food. Being an athlete this is really hard because I don't like to eat and it can be really hard to recover to train for the next day.
    For me the thought of the meat making me sick is enough to make me sick, I could have a bite of properly cooked chicken and if I can't control my mind I will turn green and get sick. This has nothing to do with what I ate just the mental response to the food and its pure fear for me.

When I was a kid I saw my pet sheep get slaughtered for some ceremony that really affected me and i can't get past it. Because of my fear of meat I never really ate it if I had a choice, when it was forced on me as a kid i ended up either mentally sick or physically sick because I was not used to the meat. Fast forward to today and I am 48 still fighting it, I totally gave up on meat when I was 18 and have zero desire to eat it, I also feel 1000 times better.

My issue now is meat again and how it makes my food toxic, going out for dinner is pretty tough as I think they will handle some raw chicken then make my salad brrr yuck that freaks me out...
    The way I deal with it is to challenge my mind, I have almost a mantra that i say in in my head "if it makes me sick then I will get sick, I won't think about it until I throw up" this really helps me get through a meal. The other thing I use is the facts, I have not been sick from food for over 25 years, I have felt seriously sick though, I will also return to locations that gave me good food, I will dare myself to try something new, I will not not eat because I am scared of where I am as long as its a clean reasonable place.

So thats me, I have been fighting my issue for almost 40 years and I am wining it, I refuse to have it run my life.
    My recent trip to Italy was an amazing test for me that I passed, different food, different language, 5,000 calories burned per day meaning endless eating, different place to eat every day, eating to recover for the next days ride.
    All of this was terrifying for me for 8 months from when we booked the trip, I just totally sucked it up and used my mantra and attacked the food there. I was ok and had an amazing time which really opened my eyes to how my food issue is stopping me from seeing the world.

Below is a picture of my brother and I at the top of a big mountain pass in Italy, this took us over two hours to climb at 100% effort in first gear.
    Why I mention this is this was after 4 days and 400Km of riding and eating, I made it up easily ish... Second, look at my brother compared to me, I am 144 and he is 195 so you can imagine how much harder it was for him.
    18 months before this picture he was 265 pounds, diabetic, smoker, unable to walk around the block. We worked together that entire time to get him fit, get him on the bike and able to actually live an active healthy life.

So again your not alone, stay positive and know there are others like you that have beat or at least found a way to manage the mental issues we have.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

10. Oxygen42

Thank you for your support, guys. It means a lot.

11. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

While I know this is much, much easier said than done, I believe a bulk and a strength training program might actually help with what you claim is the disproportion in your body. When you get on a program that emphasizes compound lifts, your muscles will all start growing and evening out. I have essentially the opposite problem that you have. I was extremely small (5'9" and 138 lbs) earlier this year, and was always extremely self-conscious about my figure. Now that I eat frequently and lift heavy 4x a week, I'm starting to get bigger, my muscles are filling out, and I feel like I have a much more even physique. I now float around 165-170 lbs, and I feel the best and strongest I've ever felt in my life. Again, I know just saying it is a much different thing than doing it, and I may be going about this the entire wrong way. Just giving you a little bit of insight on what my struggle has been, and maybe how it can help you.

12. Oxygen42

I'm actually not officially allowed to exercise. When I work out, it's in secret in my room doing pushups and stuff to try to make up for anything I didn't purge. I can't really start going to the gym until I get the okay from the treatment staff of the outpatient program I'm in.

13. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Ah. I see. Well, you can still implement the same principal into things like push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. Those will all develop strong muscles, and they can pretty much be done anywhere. It's a tough battle, but don't let it get the best of you, man. You are unique in your own right, and you deserve nothing but the best. This is a very strong demon, but you need to find it in yourself to show him that you're stronger and won't bow down to a lesser being. It's good that you're voicing your struggles to the public (even though you've shown no real identity, it's still a very big step), so now the goal lies in fixing the struggles and fighting against them. You have the strength. Don't succumb to anything less than what you deserve.

14. Oxygen42

I know this sounds contradictory, but I've always seen exercise as a way of punishing myself. If I eat and don't purge then I need to punish myself for it. It's one of the things where I know that what I'm doing is unhealthy, but I feel like I need to hurt myself, to go until I can't walk, to make up for any calories I take in.

15. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I see. Then maybe stepping away from it is in your best interest?

16. Oxygen42

As in all things, that is much much easier said than done. It's like any addiction, but nobody deludes themselves into thinking smoking is good for them, so in a way it's worse.

17. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Absolutely. Best of luck, man. At least you can step away from it and realize that there is a problem. That's step one.

18. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

I'm addicted to food. Like, the feeling of being engorged. I'm not a huge lard bucket, but I'm about 40 lbs overweight. I'm worried that if I keep on this sedentary lifestyle and keep eating and basing my schedule on what I want to eat for lunch and dinner that I will be a huge lard bucket. I used to be 175, but now I'm up to 220, and I hate myself. I don't know what happened, but I want to un-do it.
    (I'm 23 and 6-0 btw)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  19. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Change some of what you're eating for vegetables. They take a while to eat, are lower in calories than stodgy, heavy food, will help you to feel healthier so you might feel more able to exercise.

20. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

what are some good beginner-level exercises? I used to play football, but that was a while ago, I honestly forgot how to work out and do a routine, and other stuff I find online is too intense to start out at right now.
    I was told by a guy at GNC to do 30 mins of swimming, squats and pull-ups because it works bigger groups of muscles when trying to just shed weight and tone up. But I can't do a pull up because I weigh 220 and still have 175 lifting arms, so what is a good alternative?