Easy songs to sing & play at the same time?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Mathemagician, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Didn't know whether to put this here or in beginners. Hopefully I got it right.

So for any of you who have done double-duty as vocalist and guitar player, I'm looking for recommendations on sings to work out the basic mechanics of singing and playing guitar at the same time, and figure if it involves learning new songs then I should start simple.

I'm going to be looking up some obvious pop-punk green day/blink 182. But I was wondering if there are some songs anyone might recommend as fun/interesting as I want to get my chops up to at least able to play thrash while singing.

Doesn't just have to be metal, looking for any fun suggestions!

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Dunno what your feelings on Nickelback are, but they've got some easy-to-strum-and-sing-at-the-same-time tunes.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Chevelle and Breaking Benjamin (rhythm guitar) come to my mind first.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Great question.

Singing is hard. Playing is kind of hard sometimes, too. Singing and playing at the same time requires you to put at least one of those on autopilot, to some extent.

The first Green Day song I learned to sing and play at the same time was "Basketcase." Most of their stuff is fairly straightforward to sing and play simultaneously. I would be tempted to say that any bands where the singer also plays the guitar work this way, but that's far from the case.

I think "metal" generally is more difficult to sing and play. Both the singing and the playing require more attention, IMO. It all depends on your voice, too. I mean, some songs are easier to sing if you transpose them, but sometimes a transposed song just doesn't have the same feel to it, and so the rhythm of the song can become difficult if you change the key, and honestly, the rhythm of your singing is more important to nail down than the intonation, IMO.

I think one of the first songs I ever learned to sing and play was "Mother" by Danzig. It's probably the furthest thing from an interesting song to sing or to play, but throw the two together and you have a song you can easily sing and play. But I relate that because I feel more comfortable singing in the Glen Danzig sort of range and style. What I think makes this song a decent example, though, is that it starts heavy on the 1 beat. Strum Bm and say "Mother..." at exactly the same time, then you can focus on strumming G and then singing "tell your" and strum A and sing "children" at the same time...you can go through the first verse this way, then add in arpeggio riffs from subsequent verses as you get more and more comfortable with the groove.

5. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

Here me out on this one not metal or rock but Joy Division is great for this I'm working on Love will tear us apart transposed down to A,it's only like 3_4 chords.

6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

You asked for it: Country Roads. :fever:

Manurack and bostjan like this.
  7. bostjan

8. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Pretty much all country music. Chris Janson is fun.

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’ve learned some misfits with the simpler riffs and just slowed everything down. Slow and steady. But I’m making modest progress given my work schedule. This threads been a big help. “Find something easy to strum, then practice” basically.

10. bostjan

I've always been impressed the most with Chuck Schuldiner's ability to play the world's second most complicated rhythm guitar parts whilst screaming his head off in perfect time. I find that I can only ever manage the guitar and vocals simultaneously for parts of songs off of The Sound of Perseverance, but never an entire song, as I always get too distracted by the guitar parts to even remember that there are also vocals that need to happen at the same time, not that the few parts I can manage simultaneously I can even manage to do at all well.

As for riffing, the first song I learned on vocals and guitar that had riffs was "Out on the Tiles" by Led Zeppelin. The rhythm of the guitar and vocals are totally different, yet they weave together in such a way that I found it easier than other songs. Some 70's classic rock seems to work out this way, but other songs can sound easy, have easy-enough vocals and easy guitar parts, but yet are so juggly trying to fit them together. For example, "My Love is Alive" by Gary Wright. I had someone request I cover the song once. I thought it was a weird request, but it sounded easy enough, but I was confounded by singing and playing it at the same time. The guitar part is super simplistic, so I felt like a complete muntz not being able to sort it out after two weeks. I'm not sure it's entirely sunken in, but I think it has something to do with where the vocal lines start with respect to where the guitar riff starts. The "Out on the Tiles" example has the vocal line start first, but the third syllable always comes heavy on the downbeat. "My Love Is Alive" has the same third syllable heavy downbeat in the vocal, but the guitar rests on the one count every stanza - so you try to get one or the other on auto-pilot, but you never can, because nothing starts on the first count, so the energy is all spread out, plus, the rhythms are all syncopated just enough to make the entire thing a mess.

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Blink 182. Dont knock it til you try it.

stevexc likes this.
  12. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

The Offspring - Self-Esteem

Blink-182 - All the Small Things

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

wonderwall-oasis
    jumper-third eye blind
    smells like teen spirit-nirvana
    iris-goo goo dolls