Easy songs to sing & play at the same time?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Mathemagician, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Didn't know whether to put this here or in beginners. Hopefully I got it right.

So for any of you who have done double-duty as vocalist and guitar player, I'm looking for recommendations on sings to work out the basic mechanics of singing and playing guitar at the same time, and figure if it involves learning new songs then I should start simple.

I'm going to be looking up some obvious pop-punk green day/blink 182. But I was wondering if there are some songs anyone might recommend as fun/interesting as I want to get my chops up to at least able to play thrash while singing.

Doesn't just have to be metal, looking for any fun suggestions!

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Dunno what your feelings on Nickelback are, but they've got some easy-to-strum-and-sing-at-the-same-time tunes.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Chevelle and Breaking Benjamin (rhythm guitar) come to my mind first.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Great question.

Singing is hard. Playing is kind of hard sometimes, too. Singing and playing at the same time requires you to put at least one of those on autopilot, to some extent.

The first Green Day song I learned to sing and play at the same time was "Basketcase." Most of their stuff is fairly straightforward to sing and play simultaneously. I would be tempted to say that any bands where the singer also plays the guitar work this way, but that's far from the case.

I think "metal" generally is more difficult to sing and play. Both the singing and the playing require more attention, IMO. It all depends on your voice, too. I mean, some songs are easier to sing if you transpose them, but sometimes a transposed song just doesn't have the same feel to it, and so the rhythm of the song can become difficult if you change the key, and honestly, the rhythm of your singing is more important to nail down than the intonation, IMO.

I think one of the first songs I ever learned to sing and play was "Mother" by Danzig. It's probably the furthest thing from an interesting song to sing or to play, but throw the two together and you have a song you can easily sing and play. But I relate that because I feel more comfortable singing in the Glen Danzig sort of range and style. What I think makes this song a decent example, though, is that it starts heavy on the 1 beat. Strum Bm and say "Mother..." at exactly the same time, then you can focus on strumming G and then singing "tell your" and strum A and sing "children" at the same time...you can go through the first verse this way, then add in arpeggio riffs from subsequent verses as you get more and more comfortable with the groove.