Early vs. Later Ibanez K-7 necks.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Haun, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Haun

Haun SS.org Regular

I've been looking for a 7-string for a bit now, and someone offered me a nice deal on a K-7 with a pretty big battle scar. It's purely aesthetic so it doesn't bother me much.

I've been an Ibanez guy for years, but mainly 6-stringers. Had an RG7321 for about half a year, and an RG8 for a couple of months, so I wouldn't really say that I'm well versed in the world of sevens. But it felt like the time for it, and the K-7 fits the bill great. Ibanez, Japanese, great trem, great reputation, low output passives, the works.

But being the cautious buyer I am, I started reading up on the model as much as I could and then I stumbled upon that many people seem to feel a difference between the early K-7 necks and the later ones. Is there a difference, and if so, what do you prefer? The Ibanezes I have currently have Super Wizard and Ultra necks. Will the K-7 be akin to a 7-string version of any of those?

Thanks in advance.

2. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The necks got wider over time. The earlier ones are around 66 mm at the heal rather than 68.

aesthyrian and Wolfos like this.
  3. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

I've played 4 different k7s over the years. My friend had a blade grey 01 and it was an awesome guitar. I bought an 01 firespark blue one and it was one of my favorite necks and a guitar I regret selling to this day. I bought another k7 a few years later since I missed the blue one. It turned out to be an 04 and I hated the neck. It was so different, I got rid of it fairly quickly. The 4th one I got was so beat up and had so many fret issues (the previous owner basically destroyed it, but I got it for cheap and thought I could fox it up), I ended up getting rid of it, too.

Your experience may vary, but if it is an 01, I think you'll love it.

4. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I have a Firespark blue K-7 still sitting in it's Ibanez hardcase, I haven't played it in a few years. I've owned it since new since around 2004. The necks are a little more of a rounded C shape than other Ibanez 7s I've played which had quite pronounced D shapes with harder shoulders, it's still a very thin neck for a 7.

It's a fantastic guitar, I suppose I should sell it some time since I play bass these days.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  5. SlipknotKoRnfan

SlipknotKoRnfan Airline Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.

I have owned 2 K-7's in my life, an '01 FB which I sold, and an '01 BG which I still have (and will never sell)

I have always loved the necks on these, and the details such as full neck/headstock binding, glow in the dark side dots, etc.

To answer your question, correct me if im wrong, but I think the later necks did become wider by 2mm as someone above has mentioned, and I also believe that after a certain year (maybe '04?) they started to include neck volutes. They may have also changed the bubinga stripes for wenge as well as they appeared darker.

I could be wrong on some of this, but thats what I remember. And fwiw, I've always heard that the original first year runs ('01) were the cat's tits.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  6. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

I own an '01 FB and it will always remain as one of the best 7's i've ever played, and one that I will never ever sell. The neck is the best ibby 7-string neck ever made imho. Not too flat, not too fat, perfect.

I have played other K-7's as well (and the Apex models) and I do believe that the neck got wider after 2003.

7. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

I have a firespark blue K-7. I do like the neck on it better than my ‘97 Universe.
    (And I like my Universe!!)
    It’s a little meatier/chunkier.

8. jwoods986

jwoods986 SS.org Regular

Found this on a great website for Ibz info - http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

If this is correct, then the initial K-7s had the least width at the last fret (65mm), but definitely the chunkiest front-to-back - 21.5 to 23mm. By the last models, 2005-06, they have what seems to be the standard measurements for Ibz 7-strings now - 48/68 and 19/21.

9. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Neck is beefier than a universe, or a 7620. Having said that, they shred, and I really liked the K7 I had, but absolutely and categorically despised the inlay with a passion.

The Apex1 was really nice, but they totally fucked that one by putting an edge pro on it...

Both felt as solid as my JCustoms, so they are very very good quality guitars and sound fantastic.

10. The Silent Man

The Silent Man Savatage,Evergrey, Shadow Gallery,Vanden Plas fan

I am parting ways with an Ibanez K-7 made in Japan in 2003. It's probably an earlier version of the latest necks you are talking about. It neck feels great - as all of the necks on my Ibanez guitars.
    I hope it helps.

11. jwoods986

jwoods986 SS.org Regular

^ Do you have a buyer already? I don't see it listed in the For Sale section.

The Silent Man likes this.
  12. The Silent Man

The Silent Man Savatage,Evergrey, Shadow Gallery,Vanden Plas fan

Not yet.

13. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

I remember somebody posted (maybe in a different forum) that even 2001 never had this 21.5-23mm neck, it was always 19-21mm. Ibanez catalogs were never very accurate with measurements.
    What I wanted to ask is whether anybody tried both 2001 and 2003 K7 and felt if there was any noticeable difference? Or is it the first run that is the absolute best?

P.S. I though I should mention I have an Apex1 already. Took some time to get used to its neck to be honest. So any impressions (obviously subjective) on how K7 2001 & 2003 necks differ in feel to Apex1 would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  14. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

So, anybody ever tried both 2001 and 2003 and remembers if there was much difference? Cause I'm still wondering.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  15. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

Hi,

Just thought I'd update this thread for those who search in the future.
    I went for the 2003 K7 I was looking at back in June, and I can say that the neck shape is awesome on it.

It is indeed different to Apex1, I think it's got less pronounced shoulders, so neck feels a bit smaller. It's also more narrow at the heel. Having said that I do like both necks now. I prefer fret wire that is on the Apex, also fingerboard rosewood is nicer on it.

Also, some unrelated reason prompted me to look up the K7 necks on the Ibanez parts catalog. And interestingly, from 2001/03 to 2004/10 the neck's listed part number is exactly the same, whereas for 2004/11-2006/10 it's different.
    This may suggest that in reality all earlier necks were exactly the same all the way until the late 2004/early 2005 change to the later one, which don't get liked as much.
    I'd think part numbers info should be more accurate than specs from sales catalogs.

Hope this helps

jwoods986 likes this.