Early mixes vs. Now (post your progress)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jsaudio, Oct 18, 2017.

1. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

I recently came across one of the first mixes I ever did for a band 6 years ago and was just blown away by the difference in progress you can make in a few years of hard work. I know we usually use this forum to troubleshoot issues, but i thought it would be cool to see a progression of work from people from their earliest mixes to now just to compare them. Also this hopefully gives some inspiration to people just starting out!

Mix from 6 years ago:

NOW:

Stoked to hear everyones progress

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Cool thread!! I'm almost embarassed to listen to my older stuff, but its a good reminder of how far I've come. Persistence and drive are a beautiful thing.

Then:

Now:

3. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

One of the first mixes I did in a DAW. Drums were recorded with two Guitar Hero mics. One in the bass drum and one in the front of the kit. The rest of the stuff was miced up with one of those mics (recorded separately). I then "mixed" it in a free DAW called Kristal. I am forever ashamed because I panned the drums to one side.

Latest mix happens to be the first one I've done for a client. The bass is overpowering, but otherwise I'm happy with it.

Rational Gaze and schwiz like this.
  4. Rational Gaze

Rational Gaze LithiumDawn Voicebox

Dude. Mad props for the Blackest Eyes cover. It's pretty cool what sounds you got with such a niche piece of equipment. Coincidentally, I will be posting my Gravity Eyelids cover in this thread when I get home :)

Seybsnilksz likes this.