E-Drum Kit Recording Using Two Brians

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by npdurds, Aug 14, 2017.

1. npdurds

npdurds SS.org Regular

I'm looking into a recording project with a drummer that is very familiar with playing on an e-kit. The only hurdle I'm seeing right now is that he is running two brains to handle the amount of triggers he has set up. I haven't sat down with the kit yet, but wanted to get some preliminary thoughts here if anyone is familiar with this type of situation. What's the best way to run both of the brains for recording the MIDI out on both units at the same time? Will I need an interface with two MIDI inputs? Should I run USB from both heads and create an aggregate device on the iMac? Can I run the MIDI information from the Roland through the Simmons and retain the MIDI information from both units?

I've included the currently available gear below.

Head 1: Simmons SD1000
    Head 2: Roland TD-11
    Interface: Scarlett 6i6
    DAW: Logic Pro X
    Computer: iMac

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

So you have two drummers named Brian and you are trying to record them both at the same time?

;)

IMO, just program the drums by hand and be done with it.

3. npdurds

npdurds SS.org Regular

Yeeeaaaa, I noticed the typo when it was too late to change it. My bad. Maybe a mod can change it to "brains" instead of "Brians." :yesway:

I'm no stranger to programming by hand (have done 3 albums this way), but I'd also like to mix it up a bit and get a bit of a "live drummer" feel at the same time.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've seen some MIDI equipment with a "thru" plug that would allow you to chain them together, which you could then record as one source. I imagine you'd need to carefully map each trigger to unique notes in case each brain uses similar mappings.

5. npdurds

npdurds SS.org Regular

The Simmons has a few settings that I think might work like that, which makes me think I can run the Roland MIDI out into the Simmons SD1000. The manual states:

Local On - Buttons and triggers play internal sound and transmit MIDI OUT data.

Local Off - Buttons and triggers only transmit MIDI OUT data.

Soft Thru - This turns off the MIDI Out and makes the MIDI data coming into the MIDI input
    go directly to the MIDI output. The default setting is OFF.

GM Mode - When ON, MIDI program changes received on MIDI channel 10 will be sent
    to General MIDI Kits. When OFF, program changes received on MIDI channel 10 will
    select the regular internal Drum Kit sounds. The Default setting is ON.