Dwarf fuckin Fortress (SimCity meets the Sims meets Roguelike meets Zork)

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by sakeido, Feb 6, 2008.

1. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

This game defies all description. Read the wiki and then try it yourself...
    Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The game's homepage
    Bay 12 Games: Dwarf Fortress
    The game's wiki, which is necessary for success
    Main Page - DwarfFortressWiki

It takes a serious effort to get into this game. Being able to decipher the ASCII "graphics" is like learning to read the Matrix and in itself is an impressive accomplishment; but then the amount of information that is relayed by this interface is stunning. I played the game in the old version where you dug only horizontally through a mountain, dealing with the trials and tribulations of immigrants, farming in a cave, bridging a monster-infested chasm, and tapping the lava flow to run a gold minting operation.
    Now you can build wherever, so there is even more fun to be had. You don't even need to dig. You can build castles and shit now. Deal with nobels, emissaries, sieges, whatever.

Whats more is that this is only one half of the game. The Adventurer mode is a straight up Roguelike, complete with insane difficulty curve and frequently unfair deaths.

Things you should know:
    - at no point can you use the mouse to do anything. all hotkeys.
    - it is resource intensive in some areas, and in Adventurer mode now in particular
    - it is difficult
    - the learning curve is steep
    - all of your dwarves are insane

There are some odd stories I have from this game. I'll relay them later tonight.

Here's some stories. All of these happen with barely any player input; the dwarves have done this on their own.

2. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Holy crap, dude!

Someone spent a lot of time to do that...

4. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

It shows up in the gameplay. You can do pretty much anything now... dam rivers, flood your fortress, carve the entire top off a mountain and use that stone to build a castle in the valley below, cut down an entire forest and build a bunch of log cabins, go to war with the elves, dismantle an entire human settlement and kill the children in their beds, fight some goblins, be attacked by elephants, leopards, antmen or the most deadly of them all - Carp - drain streams, leave your migrants out to the mercy of evil unicorns by refusing to unlock your front gate when they arrive, drown trade caravans to steal all their loot, flood the workshop of a crazy crafter with magma, unleash a blood thirsty sheriff upon your populance who will dismember random citizens, you know.

There is a LOT of shit you can do in this game and they add more all the time.

5. DDDorian

DDDorian Mantis Toboggan, M.D Super Moderator

I thought I'd bump this thread to add that I never expected a game based entirely on ASCII graphics to put such a strain on my (admittedly aging) machine:lol: Know of any other cool new roguelikes like this?