Dunlop Strings: Overhyped?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Robby the Robot, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Robby the Robot

Robby the Robot The President Bits

It seems with every artists Dunlop TV has interviewed recently, more artists have been switching to Dunlop Strings and have given great reviews about them. Personally, I don't think they're worth the hype they get. Maybe I had two bad sets of strings, but I had a set of 11's on my ARX that lasted two weeks before a string broke, while the set of 10's on my RG lasted about four days. :lol: I do take into account that I do gig at least once a week, but I've used other strings that have last a bit longer that the Dunlops. Are these guys are on to something?

tl;dr: Dunlop Strings: Overhyped or not?

2. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

I used to use them but their singles aren't so readily available otherwise I'd still be using them. They sounded great and had good tension.

3. rythmic_pulses

rythmic_pulses Schmuck

I only use dunlop picks because I use Jazz III's, I tried their strings once, I didn't like them, they sounded 'brittle' to me if you know what I mean?

I use Ernie Ball Regular 7 string slinky's cause they are readily available to me, they last longer too.

4. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

theyre good. dont love them though.

but 100% useable without question.

im currently on a D'Addario fix so id get them over Dunlop though

5. Robby the Robot

Maybe I did have bad sets of strings then. I might give them another try, but I'm stuck on having a wound 3rd string.

6. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

I personally think they are a bit over hyped. when i used to use them i found that they were a bit brittle and easier to break than Ernie Balls and i didn't really like the feel. that being said to each his own.

7. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Thats the main reason I just order strings in bulk individual gauges.

I don't like the huge gauge sets, and most sets in the 50-54 range have plain 3rd strings. Also many brands either don't make, or at least don't include the 20w or 22w in any of their packaged sets. GHS has always sounded fine to me, and they stock almost every possible gauge except maybe some of the super-sizes.

8. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I used the Heavy Core once on my Agile.

I actually like them much better than the Ernie Balls I usually use.

The only reason why I don't have some on right now is because I was in a tough spot and couldn't get those :)

9. Robby the Robot

Thus why I'm using the 10-49 Jazz Light gauge from D'Addario. I posted on something about the single string sets being more available to the public and whoever owns the page basically said that the single strings should be available at your local music store, which I haven't found to be true for the stores in my area. (I would get the exact quote, but Facebook is acting up at the moment.)

I'm considering buying a set of 8s from the Rev. Willy set and their regular set of 11s. Good or bad idea?

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Honestly, when your band is big enough to be appearing on ads by Dunlop changing strings probably isn't your biggest concern. :lol:

That being said, the Dunlop strings I tried were alright. Nothing special. If I didn't have a few cases of D'Addario EXL120 7s, I'd probably be more adventurous though. :lol:

11. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Just found out they make a 10-60 set, that might be pretty good for me, as long as they stand up in quality next to DR, D'addario, Dean Markley, &c. I guess I'll post in here after I get 'em :lol:

12. potatohead

potatohead SS.org Regular

I like the regular ones but I don't like the Heavy Cores. I usually use EB but Dunlops are second choice.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands WONDERFUL

I tried the Heavy Core's once. Sounded like several-month-old D'addario strings, IMO. :ugh:

14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I have a ZW set on my LP and I like it. It's not exactly bridge cable tension but then you're supposed to vibrato-pinch squeal all day with those. The non wound are quite loose.

15. jdecaire

jdecaire SS.org Regular

Same here, I haven't had a problem with dunlop strings but I just like the ZW gauging for my LP (10-60), I used to buy the ZW GHS strings and they still make a 10-60 but it's easier to find the Dunlop ZW's so thats why I still buy them.

16. book_of_lies777

book_of_lies777 SS.org Regular

never tried Dunlop strings. I've been using GHS strings for 6 years or so... haven't broken A SINGLE STRING in that whole time, so I see no reason for switching.

I currently have the 10-52 set on all my guitars, tuned from C to E standard(I don't have my 7 yet).

17. myampslouder

myampslouder SS.org Regular

I tried them a few times. I tried the 12-54 set back when I used drop c alot. They were ok but they kinda sounded worn right out the pack. The didn't have the typical bright new string sound and they got dull sounding fairly quickly.they weren't bad but not my first choice at all

18. groph

groph surrounded by chairs

I don't think I've ever used Dunlop strings but I'm terribly curious to try out a set of Heavy Cores.

I'm into D'Addario. They just feel really crisp. I can't stand coated Elixir strings and Ernie Balls just feel cheap for some reason, kind of plastic-like? I doubt I could tell the difference in a blind test, though, and I've also heard that guitar strings are often wound in the same factory so there may be little to no difference between different brands. Or is that just a conspiracy? No idea.

I'm sure Dunlops are just as good or better than the competitors and it will come down to personal taste. Strings aren't expensive and you change them often anyway, unless you're me, who has had the same set of greasy 11-52's on his Jackson since before the summer started...

EDIT: A bit off topic but for some reason I really liked that first video. Genuine, non-pretentious, and very to-the-point. It was kind of like a Jack Daniels ad, but for strings. I think I might try out a set of Dunlops next.

19. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Bands big enough to be interviewed on Dunlop TV are changing their strings on all their guitars every night. At that point, what matters is that they sound/feel OK and can last for a single show without breaking. Most of the rest of us change our strings every few weeks at best so longevity becomes a lot more important. My hands seem to make strings rust quickly, so Elixirs seem to be the only ones that don't turn to complete crud in a week. If I were changing my strings every night though, I wouldn't bother with expensive coated strings; I'd go with whoever was willing to give me a bunch of free strings.

20. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

honestly string sound doesn't make a huge difference to me simply cause all electric set sound dead to me. it comes from only playing acoustic for the first few years of my guitar life. so after that, any non-acoustic set sounds dead. no exceptions. so im a feel guy, and current;y i like a nice loose feel without the gauges being too light. right now dunlop and D'addario deliver that.

what i like about Dunlop is they maintain that nice bend-y tension at heavier gauges