Duncan pickup advice

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Municipalrestart, Sep 6, 2017.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Page 2 stole my merkins.

2. Municipalrestart

Municipalrestart SS.org Regular

I'm really leaning more towards the distortion but theres so many people that vouch for the black winter. I like the high end and aggressiveness more from the distortion from what I hear i just wonder about the low end of it. In the long run im pretty sure ill get both. I have 3 guitars im going to end up swapping pickups I know I'm doing fishman moderns and Adler set for sure. Just having a really hard time picking the duncan. I feel like all of them have a distinct character but the black winter just sounds to flat. Good but flat.

3. p4vl

p4vl SS.org Regular

The Black Vinter (spell it right) is based on the Distortion, so...

4. larsmul

larsmul SS.org Regular

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

The Black Winter bridge was designed to crush your enemies, see them driven before you; leaving nothing else to hear but the lamentations of their women.

There is nothing 'flat' about it -- there's just MORE of everything. It is flat-out the most brutal, yet versatile bridge pup I've ever tried. IMO it is EQd just right -- gobs of grind in the mids, but it's a throaty/roaring grind rather than djenty sissification, highs are present but not piercing, and the lows...my word, the lows...capable of fast, chuggy intracacy, but still pack a massive sledgehammer to the gut effect. I could go on and on if you need more convincing...:lol:

Zoobiedood and Beheroth like this.
  6. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

If you're considering the distortion or JB (only difference is magnets) then maybe check out the Chisel from Railhammer pickups.

7. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

So how do the BW and Distortion compare? Is the Black Winter more aggressive? I actually have a BW in my Schecter HellRaiser Solo, but i've been curious about the Distortion. I find the BW to be a tad too aggressive for me, it has this kind of metallic harshness to it that I don't like , but overall its a very clear pickup, it just sounds like there is an overdrive engaged all the time

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

My BW experience wasn't like that. :shrug: If anything, I found it darker and muddier than the Distortions I've tried.

Makes me wonder if the pickup I got was defective or the guitar was a dead piece of plank. Because the BW in it sounded dead, muddy, and had no bite period.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

The distortion has a lot more high end from what I can tell.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

yeah the 6 string BW is normally quite aggressive, I would bet on a faulty pickup or something. I haven't tried the distortions but the BW would definitely be darker based off duncan's eq charts. I haven't found the 6 string version muddy but the 8 string version was very dark/muddy (the c-pig was clearer than it).

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Well my favorite passive still remains to be the regular ol' Distortion. Plenty of bite, aggression, and tightness to me. :agreed: Still yet to find anything as good as it besides the B&B L500XL. While it's tighter and brighter, it doesn't have as much of that grind and growl the Distortion has.

12. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I don't think it was a faulty pickup. everyone will get different results. I tried the black winter in a few guitars, and they all sounded different in their own way. I do agree that it sounds a tiny bit muddy at times if not dialed in right and in the wrong guitar.

I first had it in a Schecter omen 6 made from basswood, it sounded mushy, muddy and gross. Probably one of the worst if not the worst sounding pickups i've ever heard in that guitar. That being said though i'm not a death metal or black metal guitarist. I write a lot of pop-punkish type music, but I also listen to Killswitch Engage, Insomnium, Amon Amarth, So I mess around with drop tunings and high gain.

I have it now in my Hellraiser Solo , it is actually surprisingly bright even brighter than the emg 81 that was in it previously. but the low end still has plenty of bass that it CAN sound muddy if the bass isn't lowered on my amp. Which makes me curious about the Distortion