Duncan pickup advice

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Municipalrestart, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Municipalrestart

Municipalrestart SS.org Regular

I got alot of really good advice on here regarding my stealth so i thought I'd try again. I have am epiphone thunderhorse with emg 57/66 (those are for sale by the way, possibly the whole thunderhorse of someone is ready to purchase asap) and i want to swap the pups. Ive kinda got it down to invaders and duncan distortions. Does anyone have any experience with a similiar set up that would like to chime in? Ive been drawn towards the invader for its chunkiness but I love high attack in my pickups and that's the distortion all the way. Ive also got a pair of fishman fluence adlers on the way and I know that has huge low end so I don't want to buy two pairs that are possibly going to sound the same but i really dont know shit because i havent played either. Again, any help would be much appreciated!

2. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

Distortions were always too much for me. I always checked the amp settings and went "did I dial way too much treble or something?". I have heard somewhere that Blackwinter is essentially Distortion on steroids and I love that pick up. I know it is way off from your preference (Invader/Distortion) but have you ever tried Duncan Alpha/Omega? Lots of clarity and bite.

3. Municipalrestart

I havr and they sound great but I'm dropping 280 on the adler set so i kinda wanna stay under 200 on this set preferably around 150. I had the distortions once and thought that i liked them but they were in a charvelle and as much as i wanted to love that guitar the strat sound just wasnt for me. So i dont know if i can judge the pups off that experience alone

4. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

Invader or Distortion ? Black Winter
    Basically a Distortion with the triple magnet of the Invader

feraledge likes this.
  5. Municipalrestart

What does that mean?

6. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Distortion. My fav SD and one of my fav bridge pups of all time. The Invader only for really dark sounding axes or over-the-top gain.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Wasn't a fan of the Black Winter. Much preferred the distortion. But I like a brighter, attackier sound to hit the front end of my amp. The Black Winter was too dark and wooly.

8. Municipalrestart

I'm kinda leaning towards a brighter pick up. My stealth sounds prettt dark compared to my other evhs

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Hmmm... I have about every high output Duncan, and I am gonna give you a different direction......

Duncan Custom

It has massive low end chunk, and a lot of high end presence. It normally sounds great in chunky guitars like a LP. I think an invader would be too dark for a LP, and the distortion would work, but it doesn't have as much chunk. The Black Winter is cool also.... it is like a cleared up, less fuzzy Distortion.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The Duncan Custom is a little less output than the others, but that means it is more dynamic which shows up in the low end chunk. Man... love that pickup, need to get it back in a guitar, lol. It actually has a ton of upper mids and presence also though, so it screams and metallic scrapes as well. For an example of it in a Mahogany guitar, listen to White Zombie's Astrocreep album. Heavy and chunky.

11. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Between the two, I'd go distortion. I tried invaders in my old ec 1000 and they stuck around for about a week. It was too dark sounding. I put a custom 5 in the bridge and a 59/custom in the neck and was way happier

12. Municipalrestart

The customs are like a paf right? Because im taking out the emg57 and 66 and those are supposed to be like an active pad and they're ok but how similar are the two?

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

They say like a PAF on steroids, but not sure how true that is. Never had the newer EMGs, so not sure how close they are. The Custom basically has a huge low end chunk, and is kind of scooped in the lower and mid-mids, then a huge upper-mid and treble/presence spike. It is basically chunky and screamy at the same time, but has great clarity because of the scooped lower mids.

Not as fuzzy as the Distortion, chunkier than the Distortion, more clarity than the Distortion, brighter than the Invader, not as nasal as the JB, not as tight and modern as the Black Winter or Nazgul. The Custom is kind of a good middle-ground between all the others. Not too extreme to be metal only, but not lame enough to not be able to grind.

14. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

ok, i meant that the Black Winter is basically an hybrid of the distortion and the invader. So if you're torn between those two, it might be the answer to your question

15. Municipalrestart

Oh ok ive been hearing about those alot lately. I need to check them out. Been having a hard time finding a good YouTube demo eithout a backing track.

16. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Another vote on the Black Winters. I guess a lot of pickup tone is subjective, but I would have considered the BW objectively not a dark pickup. It's more aggressive than the Distortion, which I would consider almost too balanced. If you want attack, it's there.
    The Thunderhorse is mahogany/mahogany too, BW goes best with a mahogany body IMO. I'm sure it won't be the darkest and richest sounding mahogany out there, but still...
    I'd also recommend the Full Shred. I think it's very similar to the BW, but more low end. I had it in a mahogany body/maple top with bolt on maple neck guitar. I'm not sure any other off-the-shelf pickup would have sounded better in it and I didn't expect to keep it in there.

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I like the Black Winter also. It is the complete opposite of the Custom. Instead of being mid scooped like the Custom, it is more mid-boosted. The bass and treble are fairly flat, and then there is small spike in the mids for single note clarity. It is an interesting pickup, because I find they dont really sound like much of anything. Pretty flat overall. Just a loud boost of everything. They are good for being the Duncan with the most bland sound to build your tone on. I dont mean bland as in bad, but maybe neutral is a better word. Nothing really stands out about them, as compared to the other Duncans (all of the others all have some specific quality they are known for).

The Black Winter neck is pretty cool. It is the most Dimarzio-like Duncan I have heard in the neck. Most Duncan neck pickups are mid scooped, and this one is mid-boosted. It gives that "I'm a shredder" feeling like a Dimarzio does, lol.

18. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I also dig the Pegasus/Sentient set. The Black Winters are a good choice, too. Funny about these 2 sets...they do a lot of things really well, not just chunky metal.

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've been running a Sentient/Custom 7 string set, and I'll weigh in here as well.

The Custom has a huge low end, especially as it gets closer to the strings (it's "happy place" seems to be way closer than I'm used to from most other pickups). However, it's also extremely articulate and clear. I don't know if I'd necessarily call it scooped, so much as maybe balanced, especially compared to the similarly built JB (which has a huge, wooly midrange with chainsaw-like high end snarl). Then again, I'm running it through a Rectifier Roadster dialed in for a Mark-like thick lead tone, so pretty much everything sounds middy. :lol: The high end is clear but not "edgy" - great high end/upper midrange harmonic content, and I actually swapped out a Wolfe-rewound JB7 for a Custom in my (swamp ash) Suhr after playing a buddy's swamp ash Warmoth 6 with a Custom in the bridge and being shocked how well it worked for singing lead playing. That said, a lot of the metal guys I know describe this pickup as a "sledgehammer," due to it's low end power and very clear low end.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. p4vl

p4vl SS.org Regular

Distortions sound good in most set-neck mahogany guitars. Very aggressive, which is a quality that even hotter pickups lack. If it sounds fizzy to you, you're EQ-ing wrong.