duncan parallel axis distortions vs regular distortions?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Sep 29, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I can't seem to find much info on these pickups. From what I've read they're a more balanced distortion and that really intrigues me. I don't have any experience with the regular distortion so if you can shed some insight on those and how you think they'd work for lower tunings (they'd be going into a baritone)/ how well they work for sludgy/High on Fire/Mastodon esque riffs.

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I like the the Parallel Axis versions for guitars with trems, (they are Trembuckers), and don't find that they are specifically geared toward particular tunings. They seem to work really well for anything as long as you like tight percussive playing. They are a little tight for sludgy music, but so is the regular Distortion.

3. KnightBrolaire

I play a lot of different genres, and from what I'd heard the black winters (which I love) are related to the distortions, so I kind of wanted to check these out and see how different they sound since regular distortions are probably too bright for my guitar. Do you know if these clean up well? I don't play a lot of cleans but when I do I like a warmer clean tone from the bridge.

4. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Red Handed Riff Raff

The Distortion/‘59 was probably my favorite combo for set-neck mahogany until stupid tinnitus came along, then it was a bit too “fizzy” for me. Sounded great in drop B on a ~25” scale.

Can’t say I’ve ever tried the parallel axis, though you’ve got me interested...

5. KnightBrolaire

found on reverb for a decent price, guess I'll try it out.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Any model of Distortion is a pretty high output pickup, so being dynamic and clean isn't really what they do really well- all versions just want to rock, really. It will clean up, but not at 6 or 7..more like on 2.

7. KnightBrolaire

Cleans aren't really my priority, but it's always nice when higher output pickups have good cleans. As long as it sounds mean through my boogie/kemper I'll be pretty happy.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  8. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Do it... never tried the parallel axis one but the Distortion is probably the best pup in the duncan catalogue... or the invader with some tricks... still working on that one.

DO IT!

9. KnightBrolaire

lol I already bought it

Zhysick likes this.
  10. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

I have one. It's a pretty cool pickup although I prefer the DD a bit more. Overall, I would at it's a bit smoother, has a broader midrange, and is darker but has a more metallic grind to it than the DD. It's pretty damn loud and aggressive for sure. One thing I do like about it is it has a sort of JBish singing, vocal lead tone compared to the DD's screaming, piercing lead tone. The cleans are probably the worst of all of my Distortion class buckers but they are passable if you have decent cleans on your amp. It's a good pickup, tight, punchy, good articulation, nice grind. You'll have to sort of tweak the height a bit to find the sweet spot for you. I found it to be a bit finicky but once I found the right height for my setup I was well pleased. Hope you like it!

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  11. knet370

knet370 SS.org Regular

the dude at black dahlia murder brandon ellis swears by them