Duncan EMTY's vs EMG 57/66

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by elkoki, Nov 4, 2017.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I have EMTY pickups in my guitar at the moment, had them in there for a few months. They aren't bad pickups, but i'm curious about the EMG 57 set. How would they compare? Anyone tried both or compared both?

Things I like about the EMTY's : They're not muddy, bright, dynamic, quiet.

Things I don't like as much but aren't necessarily bad : They're very hot with tons of output, some what bright, not a lot of bass.

What i'm really looking for is something with a little more warmth and fullness. EMTY's are better suited for drop tuning so they're eq-ed with very little bass and a lot of treble and this guitar is already pretty bright naturally. I'd like something with a little more fullness for fatter lead sound and bigger lower end. Yet still kind of versatile for different kinds of rock and metal. I don't expect good cleans.

Can EMG 57/66 get me that?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah, sounds like you wanna try the 57/66 set.

This is comparing the 57 to the 81, but from what I've heard the EMTY has some qualities similar to the 81.

Another option would be the EMG Het Set. It's got more output than the 81, but they have more low mids. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra output was BECAUSE of the extra low end and low mids. The EMGs have a lot of output but in my experience feel like they have less output due to having such little low end. And honestly the Het Set neck is probably my favorite neck pickup ever.

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I haven't played the EMTY Blackouts but I have the EMG 57-66 set. I wouldn't say it's trebly and it does have some bass but they are not dark pickups so they won't necessarily give you a bassier sound on a bright guitar. I replaced a set of regular Blackout set and thought the tone was brighter but that was probably due to the high mid than lower mid emphasis.
    The main positive aspect of this set is that it gives a quite convincing passive tone with less compression than other common actives. Especially relatively away from the strings it gets that PAF sound people say they have. Get them closer to the strings (but not as close as the 81/85 set) and you get a roaring tone that compresses more but is not sterile and "digital" sounding. The cleans are really good too and they can do crunch and medium output really really well.

4. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Edika described 57 very well. They have both active punch and warm dynamics. When compared to ahb-1 blackouts in my old sevenstring my current sixer (D-standard) sound is improved in every level. I know - different guitars and tunings but.