Duct taped mics.

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by HellsFallenHero, Oct 11, 2010.

1. HellsFallenHero

HellsFallenHero SS.org Regular

I've been wondering this for awhile now.

I've been noticing all of the 'metalcore/breakdown band' (or whatever new retarded genre name someone decides to make up) bands have their mics duct taped.

Usually it's in some neon color.

What is the point? A friend of mine who is into that whole 'metalcore/breakdown band' thing has his mic duct taped as well. He says, "It helps with feedback."

Is this true? I honestly don't see the point and I kind of think it looks stupid.

I myself am I vocalist, but I haven't duct taped my mic, or noticed much feedback.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The only time I've really tapped up a mic is to either prevent the user from accidentally switching it off, or to make sure the XLR plug stays put.

A little bit of tape is going to do nothing as far as interference/feedback is concerned.

3. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

I duct taped my mic a couple years ago. But, it's because the cable kept falling out during a crazy show (I was a vocalist in a death metal band at the time). Since I bring my own cables to shows, I just left it taped.

I have noticed the neon tape. I'm guessing it serves the same purpose as skinny jeans and eyeliner. (no offense to anybody.)

4. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

Where is the duct tape put? I have yet to see that from singers/vocalists because they use my mics. The feedback happens because they lower their mic holding hand to their side right in front of the monitor.

5. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

What part of the mic? if its the handle area then I call bs, But if its around the grill area it could possibly block some bleed etc?

6. xJeremiahx

xJeremiahx Human

I've used colored electrical tape to identify stage location when running sound. Green left...red center/main...blue right...yellow drummer and so on and marked the same colors on the board for their assigned channels. Other than that...same reasons as MOM explained above. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

7. Gameboypdc

Gameboypdc SS.org Regular

To be honest I believe it's just for the look. It's no different than when you see similar bands playing with a drummer behind a super small kit thats all mix matched with different colored shells and random brands of drums. While yes that could play a important role in tonality, but I seriously doubt they would be concerned with that. Half the time they might as well be playing broken equipment. I would be surprised if that style of music demanded that they even tune their instruments.

Gus

8. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Back when I first started gigging I just did it because it kept my mic plugged in cause I got rowdy. :shrug:

9. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Actually, we duct taped our singer's mic because it made it easier to grip when running around and sweating onstage.

10. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

If the tape goes over the diaphragm, it would just make everything sound like shit.

11. MTech

MTech Banned

It's just to keep the cable in the mic when flailing around like an idiot on stage. :noplease:

12. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

Bands like that get our Radioshack mics.

13. Milo

Milo SS.org Regular

I asked a vocalist I know, he said it helps absorb the thud of when it changes hands or they grab it with both hands etc you get the point of how it would make a thud.

He also said it always keeps the XLR in and the on/off button in place.

14. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I can't see how some tape would absorb 'thud' unless it was at least 1cm thick :/

15. MTech

MTech Banned

They'd need a hell of a lot of tape for that to remotely be true.....
    Plus it's a non issue if you have a sound man that knows what they're doing. Plus you usually never see professional vocalists/sound guys using wired mics with a switch because it's just another thing to break or you get some dumb singer switching it off and yelling at the sound man like it's their fault.

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Singers, the only folks who know even less about the gear they use than drummers. :lol:

MTech likes this.
  17. Crucified

Crucified Deathgrind Maniac

i use colored tape on cables and mics when i bring my own because i don't like to forget what shit is mine and because i use my own mics at shows so i'm not rubbing my lips up against someone elses spit/puke/aids.

18. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

Yup, its either for keeping the XLR lead in, keeping the on/off switch in place if it has one, or possibly identifying different mics if its coloured tape. Anyone who says they tape up their mic for tonal reasons is almost certainly talking shit.

19. Taylor2

Taylor2 Teh Groove Metuhl

As I played in a band for three years that had two vocalists, and both taped mics, it's for two reasons:

- To keep the XLR cable connected when the mic was getting tossed around, whether that be the crowd or the vocalist.
    - To make sure everyone knew whos mic was whos.

Any other reason is futile.

20. The Munk

The Munk SS.org Regular

Tape.....ppffft!:rofl:If the cord won't stay put, then either a new cord or new mic is order. I wouldn't want to trust a taped up mic on my gig!
    I bring my own, so that I never have to deal with that.

And who, that is serious about live music, uses a switchable microphone? One more thing to go wrong, that will only come back at the sound guy. And if the sound guy is supplying them....:nuts:

Switchable microphone= Karaoke!