Dual Boot Windows XP and Linux

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Jeff, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Just a recommendation that's been working very well for me lately. I bought a bigger SATA drive (250gig) and partitioned it so that There's about 40gig system drive space for XP, and the rest for Fedora Core 3.

I also have an 80gig SATA for audio data.

I used nLite http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html to "slipstream" Windows XP with SP1+patches, and removed Outlook Express, MSN Messenger, and a bunch of other crap that I don't want running.

Then I only loaded video and audio drivers, no NIC driver, so effectly the machine, under XP, has no internet access and no IP address, so it cannot get out, and consequently nothing can get in. There's no need for spyware-hunting software to be running, no need for AV software. Just Audio apps and that's it.

THen under Linux, I have Crossover Office running Adobe Photoshop 7 and Office 2000, so I can maintain compatibility with work and also my laptop, which still runs only XP.

Surfing under Linux, I don't have to worry about spyware or viruses (yet) and it runs very fast on an Athlon 2500+ w/ a gig of RAM.

Very cool set up, and I highly recommend it for DAW situations where you don't want tons of crap on your DAW, but you don't have multiple computers for running Office/e-mail/internet.

2. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

sounds sweet! i've read that alot of people actually have problems trying to get a dual boot of FC and XP. did you encounter any troubles with that? i tried many times to install a dual boot of win98 and FC, but the win98 kept screwing up my boot loader.

3. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

The key to a successful install with XP and FC is to install XP first, then FC3. It works much, much better that way.

XP gets confused when you try to install another operating system, then XP. As far as MS is concerned, Windows is the only operating system.

4. Leon

ahh, rock on.

yeah, but thanks to FC and the awesome linux community, i don't need windows anymore :)

i wish i could just ctrl+alt+del windows from MY memory :lol:

...take *that*, winblows! :fawk:

5. Leon

[on topic]
    yeah, i'd imagine that a dual boot would be a supreme setup for having the best of both worlds! it's what i tried, but since there are only two programs i can't run in linux that were specific to windows (AP guitar tuner, Powertabs), and they're programs i can do without, i made the switch 100%.

[/on topic]

6. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

What app do you use for a DAW? Rose Garden? Audour?

7. Leon

no DAW to speak of, actually :p. i'd like to record stuff, but until i get an audio input a little more superior to my soundcard mic jack, i'm holding off on the programs.

...though, it would really rock to have a drum machine, so i can write some drums loops to jam over. any suggestions?

8. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

For Linux, Hydrogen is excellent. Though I've had little luck getting it working with anything but a Sound Blaster.

9. Leon

hey, i just got this thing compiled/installed... it's pretty cool!

now, if i could only learn to write decent drum tracks :p

10. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

There's a lot of cool stuff out there, that's for sure. I wish someone would come out with a distribution that's fast and lean. Put a friendly, completely original interface on it. Then, in Digidesign style, say the following hardware is guaranteed to work:

Specific chipset
    Specific Video
    Specific soundcard
    Specific network interfaces

Make it like a Mac in that only specific hardware works, but it works well, completely stable.

It could become like Mac, but running on more affordable x86 hardware. If I were smart enough to do it, i.e. program the drivers for said hardware, and then create a new or highly customized interface, I would. But alas, I am not that smart. Yet.

11. eviltoaster

eviltoaster SS.org Regular

i mostly use linux,too....a pimped debian!

but guitar pro software for linux :scratch:

12. NotDonVito

NotDonVito a.k.a Don Vito 2011-2016 master shitposter

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

13. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

Tuxguitar for linux GP files. It works awesome. I prefer i tto GP.

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yes, but to OP: when dealing with people in the real world, just say 'linux' if you don't want to be forced to repeat the above paragraph each time ;-)

TheHandOfStone, StevenC and ferret like this.
  15. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Came here to ask why in gods name someone would want to dual boot Windows XP with anything.... Only to discover it was a massive 12+ year necrobump.

TheHandOfStone and StevenC like this.
  16. narad

narad SS.org Regular

To be fair, it takes like 12 years to write all that.