Drum question:

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Metal Ken, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Okay, so here's what i want to know.

Say, you download a midi of a song that has drums. Can you take some sort of program that uses drum samples, and then Import said midi into that program, and then use the midi instruction to cue certain samples, thus making an acoustic sounding drum track from a midi sound file?

If so, which programs are best for this/Easiest to use?

Thanks

2. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

Yes. Drumkit From Hell, Battery2 as a sample trigger, BFD, Fruity Loops IIRC, etc.

3. Metal Ken

4. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

Forget what it stands for, but it sucks LOL.

5. smueske

smueske SS.org Regular

It depends on the MIDI file. The quick answer is yes, you need something that is a sampler (whether a pre-configured sampler such as Battery, BFD, DKFHS) or something that triggers samples. You'd want to know, though, what the key mappings are, whether it's general MIDI or for some specific kit. If its generic, its probably general MIDI. Most sequencing software supports general MIDI -- you'd just have to go into the drum manager (or whatever your software calls it) and map keys to the samples.

Jason likes this.
  6. Metal Ken

I've actually been putting midis into Fruity loops for a while now for messing around with jam tracks and whatnot..

BUT! Perhaps you could answer a question.
    In fruity loops, im using NS Kit 7 Free for the drum sounds.. is there anyway to adjust the way they come through? Cause the crash cymbal is WAY too fucking high in the mix and when it gets used, it drowns EVERYTHING out.. if i could pull it back it would be great.. well.. better than midi. but still.

7. smueske

smueske SS.org Regular

The easiest way would be to see what maps to that pad in the program. I don't have it so I don't know. Alternatively, you could look at the midi track and see what note triggers the crash and then change the velocity levels of those hits.

8. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Not sure but what about drumagog?

9. Ken

Ken Forum MVP

I'm SO old school when it comes to MIDI. I still use a Korg M-1 as a sequencer, which sends MIDI data to an Alesis D4 drum sound module.

Now, when I sequence drums or keyboards, I have Velocity as an option. If you can find this option, you should be able to tame your Crash cymbal down.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ken, I'm assuming that the midi still flows through the individual track sample modules - if that's the case, there's two knobs, one for volume and one for pan. Of course, I've never used FL for midi, so it's brobably like 87% harder than it should be and you can't do it this way, but that's where I'd start...