Dropped C

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Vince, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Vince

Vince Contributor

When your heavy songs in dropped D just don't sound as heavy as the songs you play on 7-string....

...strap a set of 11-56 on that sixer and play in dropped-fucking-C. :hbang:

I've never set up a guitar for dropped C before. Fuck dudes, this shit rules. I know a lot of you guys use this tuning, so fuck you all for being ahead of me :lol:

Dropped C is Vince's new favorite tuning. :agreed:

2. Seven

Seven Contributor

I love that tuning, I've tuned and set-up my les paul for Ernie Ball 11's and it's tuned C-G-C-F-A-D, and it sounds damn good for some BLS and SOAD.

3. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

I have my Les Paul tuned to 1-step down and then drop that low D to a C for drop-C as well. Very cool tunings.

My 7-string is in 1-step down, as well. But, since it's a floyd, I can't tune it to drop C when I want to. :(

But, yeah, the first time I ever used drop C was several years back when I wanted to write a really heavy low song and I originally wrote it in drop D, but it didn't sound heavy enough, so I dropped everything a full step. :agreed: Sounded perfect after I did that.

4. Vince

Vince Contributor

dropped fucking C for the win!! Here's a 20 sec clip of a piece I recorded today in dropped C. Motherlove the fucking tone! :hbang:

[MEDIA]http://www.vincelupone.com/mp3/vincefuckinglovesdroppedc.mp3[/MEDIA]

I fucking love this tuning.

5. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

Sounds good to me, tone wise!

Honestly, though, the riff doesn't sound very original or insipiring, something I find to happen to most things I (and most other people) write in Drop C.

6. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I like C standard tuning, not a fan of the drop D configuration.

DSS: Thats probably because 99% of metalcore bands tune that way. I think his riff is pretty cool though.

7. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

I play my 7 in drop C.

And my low string in drop F. Keeps me out of that drop-tuning rut, DSS-whatever mentions, having those wierd open bass strings F-C-G-C.

8. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

Most definitely - it's just overused and there's not much to do with it IMO. There's only a couple guys really innovating with dropped low string tunings lately - LoG and Arsis.

9. zimbloth

Eh... I couldn't disagree more. I don't think LoG does anything remotely interesting. I also think your "anything below C# sucks" crusade you're on right now is pretty ridiculous.

10. Vince

Vince Contributor

you know, it was fun tuning the bass down to the dropped C config. I tuned C-C-G-C-F, on the 5-string (using a standard light-gauge Ernie Ball string set), and it was pretty cool having my choice of using either the big, bassy 5th string for the root notes, or using the lighter, flappier 4th string. I used both on my recordings today. I pulled a 12 hour session today, recording tons of guitars & bass, then mixing all of it.

On that note, I'm going to fucking bed :)

11. The Dark Wolf

Hmm. Odd. :lol: Because I completely disgaree with part 1 of your contention, Nick, but I completely agree with part 2.

Go figure. :lol:

12. zimbloth

Vince: Your tone is sounding real nice so far, congrats.

Bob: That's cool. I don't hate Lamb of God, they just bore me basically. I'm not really into modern american bands for the most part. Not my style.

13. The Dark Wolf

If you want to ever try to double drop route like me (I think no one does. Most are too sane :lol: ) and you want the bass to match, you need an insanely think bass string to go low F. (My old bass player was tuned to it on his 6-string Alavarez. Sounded good.)

What was it... .168 I think? Something like that. Just beastly.

14. Vince

Vince Contributor

LoG's music = :hbang:

LoG's vocals = :squint:

I have friends that are hardcore into lamb of god. I love listening to their new stuff, but their singer does grate on me after awhile. Still, they'd be a fucking great band to see live. I'd definitely be in the pit for that one.

TDW, I'm not going to low F :lol:

15. The Dark Wolf

If you ever hung with me for a week or 2 you would. ;)

:lol: You'd at least fucking try it!

16. Vince

Vince Contributor

of course I would :)

I'd love to hang out with you for a week or two. Get the fuck out of Toledo and out to our dirt basin, you ass :lol:

17. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Awesome riffs, Vince. And very cool tone. :yesway:

Again personal taste. I think Lamb Of God's riffs are the most interesting out there right now.

I very rarely play in drop tunings. In bands where I used my hardtail, I would play 90% of songs in standard intervals (either standard or one step down) and the other 10% in a drop tuning (drop-D or drop-C). I don't think I could ever be in a band where every song was in a dropped tuning. I write a lot of stuff in dropped tunings that I wouldn't write in standard. But, I feel very restricted in a drop tuning. In a normal tuning, I feel free and I can write anything. That's just how I feel.

Dude, I thought your tuning sounded great, but I would never tune to that. If I moved back to the Toledo area and we got in a band together, I would just play something different when you were playing that low F. Maybe you'd be tuned to your FCGCFAD and I'd be in my ADGCFAD (or, like the good old days, BEADGBE. That might be a good idea).

The F works for you, but not for me. :lol:

18. The Dark Wolf

I :wub: my tuning.

But not for low chugga chugga. Really, A is low enough. I just love the chord and riff shapes I get with it. And all the different keys that seem to open up. Most liberating thing I ever did for my playing.

19. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

Seriously - who is doing anything even remotely new with drop D, drop C, drop B, or drop Bb?

20. zimbloth

I don't really disagree with you there. If you were talking about C standard or Bb standard though, I'd have to disagree :)