Drop G Tuning Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Pan3optic3on, Jul 21, 2015.

1. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Some points I can't help but disagree (it's already doing wonders in Drop A but I'm thinking it's probably either my playstyle or the fact that I know a thing or two about dialling good bass tones) but at the same time I do wish I could get that Brice bass... :'<

What's a good mass-produced bass I could look into if I somehow can't obtain the Brice? Due to the inflation going on with the CAD I don't know if I can afford anything above $420 USD (it would still have to be available in a Canadian store... but at the same time, I don't even know if there is a viable one at all anymore). I would normally have a preference toward active pickups but beggars can't be choosers in this instance I guess... (also, Gabe Crisp makes some pretty powerful bass tones out of a passive set so I'm starting to reconsider)

Also, I have been setting my eyes on getting this off of Bellone's if possible and have the 145 done through that. Viable? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JS3VMBB

If I had the choice I would've outright bought the Gabe Crisp bass but the price point is really steep in CAD and I don't think there is any other retailer that sells it here in London (Ontario) other than L&M.

Thanks,
    WintermintP

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I misunderstood, i searched some photos and the bridge is top loading and you have to thread the whole string through a hole in the bridge tailpiece. So a taperwound .145 will work as in the tapered section will sit on the saddle.

The only issue is whether the .145 will pass through that hole, if a .135 does a .145 probably will, you can judge this by unstringing your .135 temporarily, passing the string backwards a few inches through the bridge, then looking at the gap with some light behind. if it needs filing wider it will only need to be very slightly wider and a diamond needle file or a drill bit made for metal can do that.
    Remember that .135->.145 is the width of a guitar's top string.

If using a drill with a bit suitable for metal, you can use the largest bit that will fit through the hole and ream out the hole slightly with a continuous circular motion and gentle outwards pressure.

Maybe get a friend or family member who is good with tools to widen the hole for you.
    Best order online in case a tool shop doesn't have what you need. They're cheap, but make sure it is a small diamond needle file with a round cross-section.
    Meh i wouldn't judge it by online videos, that could be EQ or amp issues. I can see nothing that makes this bass unsuitable for low tunings (apart from having to pass the whole string through a bridge hole, if that needs widening). You really don't need a new bass, at least try a thicker string first, it's much cheaper. The cost of a pitch shifter will pay for years of slightly thicker strings, the .145 singles are only slightly more expensive than the .135 singles. Just make sure to get a taperwound string, and since your bass is 34" scale, if buying a D'Addario string get the 'long scale' version, not the 'super long scale' version.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Well, to be particularly exact, I carefully worded that statement so as to say that I did NOT see anything convincing me that it was SUITABLE for low tunings. Lack of supporting evidence is not evidence of the contrary, but that's only part of the equation in this case.

I have a bunch of basses. More than I'd like to admit. Some of them just don't handle low tunings as well as others, but, as a pretty good general rule, the ones that are specifically made to handle low tunings, like the Brice and the Dingwall, sound a hell of a lot better tuned down than the ones that are not. Even my Fender J Bass sounds pretty decent with low tunings, for what it is, but the Brice that cost me $100 less just plain old goes lower better. Others, like the Parker bass, which is a phenomenal instrument, just loses every little bit of sonic power tuned lower than C or C#. I guess this all sounds very subjective, and I'm probably too lazy to post a couple dozen clips just to support this point that someone will try to undermine by saying my EQ settings or whatever were not optimal, but FWIW, I really think it's pretty obvious how bad some of these basses sound tuned down when you actually play them. I don't know which the Toby is, maybe it sounds phenomenal tuned to G without any fuss, but then this thread would not exist, would it?

5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Sorry, i took the wording the wrong way, you are correct.