Drop G# on a Mayones 34.25" 6er

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Petef2007, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Petef2007

Petef2007 SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

So I have the option to purchase a Mayones Patriot 6er, and i'm curious how well that scale length would hold up under drop G# tuning.

What sort of string gauge should I really be looking at across the whole thing to tune it to A# F# C# G# D# G# and keep nice enough tension that I can actually hear notes on the lowest string?

Yes, i'll be playing djent and prog type stuff on it.

Would it be worth buying this bass for this tuning or should I be looking at a multi scale 5er? Obviously a Mayones is a big investment and although i've been playing bass for a long time, this is my first real foray into tuning this low.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

The difference a couple of inches makes on bass is often overstated. For example people saying this would be far too loose or need a monster gauge string compared.
    It does need a big string, but so does a Dingwall or similar. There are always big enough strings available.
    In terms of tone, it's quite decent. Look at it this way - the length is essentially like the first fret of a longer bass. It will require the same string and sound the same as a longer bass tuned a semitone lower. So if people say G, F# or whatever is good on a Dingwall - they are saying 34" is fine for G# by default.
    Just wanted to put that out there as there are often comments that make it sound like such a setup is useless or impossible on a standard scale bass. It's not that extreme a difference.

For regular tension and good tone you don't want to go below .160 - Kalium .166 would be your best bet.
    A longer 36 or 37" bass will allow you to drop down to a Kalium .158 in the same tuning. You then have the advantage of a slightly brighter string, and a slighter brighter tone of a longer scale (the difference in tone between two adjacent frets - nothing major). Those two things cumulatively do make a significant improvement though.
    As it's a big investment it's probably worth getting the best results you can, so I would certainly suggest a longer bass. It does sound brighter and feel more responsive. However, G# is certainly nothing extreme for 34.25".

As you have experience with bass already, perhaps grab yourself the .160 from D'addario or see if that one UK bass site that stocks Kaliums has something you can try on your current bass to get an idea if you consider the tone bright enough or not. You'll need to widen the nut slot if you want to try it with a real set up - but it's small work for research into a big investment.

LordIronSpatula and bostjan like this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

34.25" is basically 34". There are a lot of factors that go into getting a usable bass tone at G#, but one quarter inch of scale length is not really one of those factors.

EverDream and LordIronSpatula like this.
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

G# really isn't particularly low and 34" will be functional, however of course a longer scale will help a lot to create a better tone.
    My own lower limit for tension at that pitch is around 30lbs, which means a .160 (D'Addario do one, make sure it's the taperwound version though). Or if you want the best and most flexible big gauges try Kalium Strings, but shipping from USA will cost a bit.
    Video of Kaliums on various scales, all in drop G#:

Kaliums in G standard:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    EverDream likes this.
  5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I can't see justification for 34" on a 6 string other than for someone who is so used to a 34" scale they must have it, most 5s and 6s are 35". If you can afford a Mayones i recommend taking this opportunity to buy something longer, maybe fanned fret, with the lowest string 35.5-37" depending on how much string choice you want. Or at least a 35" scale.

EverDream and Albake21 like this.
  6. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Yeah if you can afford a Mayones you can probably afford a Dingwall and that's going to be a dramatically better bass for low tunings.

7. saved

saved SS.org Regular

Wait till the summer.Something very cool will be released

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

wut??

bostjan likes this.
  9. saved

saved SS.org Regular

Can't say much from now

10. bostjan

[​IMG]
    +1 :confused:

11. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

Wait till 2036, something even cooler will be released

12. saved

saved SS.org Regular

I dont know about 2036,but this summer a few 40" will come at european market

13. bostjan

I would love a 40" production bass, as long as the balance and bridge placement were not too ridiculously ignorant. I've made some pine mockup necks up to 44", and for me, anything less than 43" is alright, if you place the bridge far enough to the right that you don't have to dislocate your wrist trying to reach. I've long been curious as to what, exactly, the thought process was in making 34" the standard scale length, and then having nothing longer than that available for decades afterward.

But who is coming out with a 40" production bass?! I haven't seen any teasers, save for Kalium at 39.55".

14. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Conventional tuners are partly to blame, having to ensure the headstock-end string taper is between nut and tuner post. Because that distance is around 2" manufacturers have to provide lengths with winding lengths in steps of 2" for B and E strings.
    I remember Skip of Kalium Strings wishing that all guitars were reverse headstock for this reason.

Available strings limit mainstream bass length, and limited bass length means little commercial market for longer strings. The result is only 1" has been added to mainstream basses.
    If we had clamped headless design, strings could be full gauge to the tip of the string and one length would be usable on all scale lengths.

The production Quakes are 37-40" fanned or 39.55" parallel fret.

Another big problem with mainstream bass design is how far the bass is shifted to the left when on a strap, which makes players feel like they can't cope with longer. Sitting with your legs apart to shift the bass to the right is so much more comfortable.