Drop D tuneing on 8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by welsh_7stinger, Nov 21, 2010.

1. welsh_7stinger

welsh_7stinger 7=best number

hi, i'm planning on getting my 1st 8 string next april, i'm planning on tuning it to drop D ♯ (D♯,A♯,D♯,G♯,C♯,F♯,a♯,D♯) the lowest D♯ will be a half step below standard bass E. i'm planning on using a 80 gauge string (not bass string, actual guitar string) for the 8th string, the guitar i'm hopefully getting is a schecter damien elite 8. can u suggest if this will work or not. i'm not gonna use a bass string cos of the tone. and i'm in the uk so octave4plu string are not a option. btw this thread is open and useable until i find what im looking for

2. Krankguitarist

Krankguitarist SS.org Regular

Hmm.

What's the scale on those, 26.5"?

Getting that low on that scale...it might be a little problematic to get that string to intonate correctly. Can't say that I recommended it.

3. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

I doubt it would be a problem to intonate if you mess with action / string gauge. (I've intonated a .074 gauge string in F1 on a 24.75" scale so I don't see how anyone should have trouble with most other things)

It just might not sound very good but it doesn't hurt to try and if you don't like it you can always tune up or something. Your definitely going to need a thicker string though.

4. HamBungler

HamBungler Lord Zorgatron

Agreed, that's tuning pretty low and both the tone and intonation are likely to be a bit troublesome.

Also, if you're worried bass strings will have a different tone I wouldn't worry. I actually find bass strings to be more punchy sounding than guitar strings in the higher gauges. You'd probably be good with an 85-90 gauge bass string for the low D#.

5. welsh_7stinger

k thanks, nd yes it is a 26.5 inch scale. teh otehr eason y i dont want a bass string is due to the price of them, i can get 80 gague ernie ball guitar strings for just under £5. ill kp just try out with messing withe teh intonation cos i doubt id use teh 8th string below 13th maybe 14th fret. and tone wise ill just adjsut my tone to suit my 7 (drop G# usieng a 66) and the 8 when i get it

ElRay likes this.
  6. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

The .080 will certainly work. It might have less tension than you like, but it's worth a try and should be relatively close to good if you already like .066 at G# on your other guitar (especially if the 7 is 25.5" scale). I don't have a tension calculator handy, but I think the .080@D# would only be something like 10% less tension than a .066@G#

7. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Octave 4 Plus shipping to the UK is very cheap, why is it not an option?

8. DevourTheDamned

DevourTheDamned Fossicker

honestly if youre going to go that low, just for absolute best string tension and you may not even need that fucking giant .80, [i was using one on my 825 and the tension was great, but the string just had no tone] i would recommend an agile 830, 30 inch scale so you can tune it to whatever you want however low you want and still have badass tension. :2c:

9. Krankguitarist

Krankguitarist SS.org Regular

Keep in mind that the issue with intonation is getting the string to intonate correctly all the way up and down the fretboard...not just at the 12th fret. I've had difficulties getting a low G1 on a 25.5" scale guitar with a .070" string. The tension's just fine, but it's a temperamental string.

Going down to a D#1 on a scale that's only an inch longer is going to hold a lot of the same problems. I agree with the above poster...I'd personally go with something around a 30" scale if you can swing it. That way you'll have a much easier time with that low D#.

10. Self Bias

Self Bias Banned

Haha- A man after my own heart! Love the Gibson scale, and I have very long fingers, incidentally. A 74 still reacts like a guitar string should. An 80 has it's merits, tonewise, but starts to get a bit muddy or inarticulate w/ p.m.ed stuff.

11. MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch Melody>Metal

inb4 thread topic of tuning 8 string guitar to 5 string bass low B

12. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

Inb4 someone hitting brown-note :hbang:

13. Antimatter

Antimatter SS.org Regular

That's my lifelong dream as a musician. If one of my songs can make someone crap their pants, I am successful.

14. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

Someones tuned a 6 string down to B0 using an O4+ string on here so your pretty late.

15. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Alternativly, buy a short scale bass :shrug:

16. welsh_7stinger

i was gonna go for a agile but there's NO WARRENTY when you order them to the uk. so that put me off. but i see what you mean. if it wasnt fro teh warrenty thing id be decideing agile or schecter.

17. welsh_7stinger

i thought they didnt deliver to the UK and i like ernire ball strings i found a ernie ball 80. but thank for letting me know they deliver to the uk.

18. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

The Schecter has a pretty thick neck. I might flogging a dead horse on this forum, but the RGA8 Ibanez is a pretty sweet deal (and I've had no problems with mine, i.e. bridge pin, action) for the price. With Any flaws, you do have warranty.

The slightly longer scale neck will hold tension and the neck is sooooooooooo buttery to play.

Can I ask? Why tune so low? Will you not be crossing wires with the bass guitar at those frequencies?

Remember Schecter now have 8 string packs, but they only go up to .74 quage. Saves custom buying D'addario's from stringsdirect.co.uk.

19. welsh_7stinger

i was gonna go for the RGA8 originaly but i played the RG2228 in america and it was brill to play, but if i got the RGA8 id be compairing it to the RG2228 constantly, plus the schecter has better specs, and i dont mind the thicker neck im still hunting for my ideal set up. and the strings are not custom. the reason for tuneing that low is because i want to try nd compose a song that will cause all the drinks in the room to vibrate not due to amplification but the bass frequancies.

20. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

I concur, it's not up there with the 2228, but at 600 odd quid. You can buy it and splash the remainder saved on upgrading it (tone/volumes pots, pickups, bone nut, and tuners). Better having a tricked out Wizard neck than a baseball bat. haha.

Not custom? Where you getting 8 string packs from? I need me that. haha.

That is definitely a good enough reason to tune low; going for "the brown sound" by any chance?