Drilling Bridge Ground on RG2228

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by theicon2125, Feb 7, 2018.

1. theicon2125

theicon2125 SS.org Regular

I have a RG2228 on the way from Reverb and a set of Fishman Fluence Tosins. I realized while planning the switch that there probably isn't a bridge ground since EMGs don't need one and neither do the Blackouts the previous owner put in. What am I in for on this process? I have never drilled into a guitar before. Would I be better having a professional do this?

2. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Ehhh, AFAIK blackouts still need to be grounded. My ESP shipped with Blackouts and it had a ground wire installed and wired. If it ships to you then maybe the previous owner installed a ground wire.

Or Ibanez might just have drilled just the ground wire hole and never wired one, in that case installing one should be pretty simple.

3. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

If you do need to drill one, it’s simple. Just take the bridge off and drill at an angle towards the control cavity. It’s just a straight line and it will be hidden underneath the bridge anyway.

4. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

It helps to start the hole perpendicular and then slowly lean it over once you've got enough ledge for the drill bit to not just wander all over the place.

5. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 *space for hire*

Possibly practice drilling at an angle on some scrap first :)

I suggest also putting a piece of masking tape on top of body with a rough guide line on before drilling

Have fun

6. theicon2125

theicon2125 SS.org Regular

That's a good idea. My boss has a pretty nice wood shop that he said I'm free to use if I ever need to so I'm sure he's got some scrap there.

I checked out the wiring diagram for Blackouts on on the SD website and it does show a ground wire so maybe I'll get lucky.