Dream Theater - Trial of Tears solo cover

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by TravisMontgomery, Apr 12, 2012.

1. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery SS.org Regular

I listened to this song yesterday after not hearing it for years, and I forgot how great this solo is. It's a very underrated Petrucci solo IMO, and ended up being a lot tougher than I expected haha. There's a lot of weird but cool timing and phrasing going on. Anyways, it was fun to play!

- Travis

2. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

digging that tone broheim, you're using the axefx right? which amp model did you use? also, I'm not sure if you remember which amp model you used back when you made the lost woods djent cover? would be amazing to know <3

3. TravisMontgomery

TravisMontgomery SS.org Regular

Thanks! Yep, it's the Axe-fx II. It's really a pretty basic patch, and I use it as my live lead tone with Threat Signal.

Comp -> Drive (OD808) -> Amp (USA Lead 2) -> Cab (4x12 Recto V30 RW) -> Delay -> Reverb

Sorry, I don't remember what I used for that cover. I think I used the FAS Modern into a German cab or something like that. I made the patch for that cover, and never really used it after that.

4. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

Great :) also I think you used an 8 string on that cover yes? Or you down tunned a 7 pretty low, it sounded really low and clear as fuck, it was a great djenty tone!

5. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Every time I hear someone play a DT track or solo or what ever, I always hate myself because I have not heard them in a long time. And when I do listen to them I hate that I cant listen to them all at once but have to spend like 15 hours to listen all the songs I wanted. But the part I hate the most is the moment when I get so inspired that I want to learn a song. Petrucci makes everything look and sound pretty easy, but as I take the guitar to my hand and play a minute the reality hits me and the "easy" part wasn't so easy after all.

So, I'm glad not everybody are not as bad as I am. Very well played.