Down tuning 7 string to F#

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by sepsis311, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sepsis311

sepsis311 Devil's Advocate

Hi guys,
    The shit starter is asking for some advice... Before i get flamed, please understand that I tried searching, but you can't really submit a query like "7 string F#" and get results, 7 and F# are too short.

Anyway, I want to tune my ESP LTD H-307 down to F#. Has anyone done this with a 7 string with emg's producing excellent results? Or is the 25.5 scale length way too short? Also, are tapered guitar strings available? Im guessing anything above a .60 would be too thick to fit through the tuner. I figure i'd go with

F# .66
    B .56
    E .46 so forth

Also, for the 3rd string, could i still get away with an unwound string? The one that is usually a G? Because now it would be a D.

Mordecai likes this.
  2. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL Consumer Whore

I'd consider going with at least a .72 for F#, as anything below that will be flub. Also F# is definitely doable on 25.5", but it won't sound as clear as say a 27" scale.

Also, you can always unwind the tip of the string to get it through the tuner, which is what alot of us do here.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery.

Definitely go for something thicker on the F#. Like XeoFLCL said, a .072 would be the thinnest I'd go on a 25.5" scale, and I don't even like super thick strings.

4. MaKo´s Tethan

MaKo´s Tethan SS.org Regular

just an example...I can not find the thread in which some guy tune his apex1 to F sharp.
    tuning-for-my-apex.html
    dude, you have more neg rep than MetalKen :rofl:

5. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

You would be tuned to B standard with a Low F#.

6. sepsis311

mako, thanks for the link to that thread. yea i get neg'd all the time, people get easily offended. i wanna try to find sound samples of what a 7 detuned to F# sounds like. also, is it tough to unwind the string? thats an AWESOME idea by the way.

7. CrushingAnvil

Meshuggah used downtuned 7's on the first take of Catch-33 [except they tuned to F - same diff though!]

8. sepsis311

thanks for the tip CA. Also, what would you guys do about the third string? Do you use a wound string or unwound? For some reason i dont think i could get used to having a wound string there.

9. CrushingAnvil

You could get the G from a 12-54 set.

10. sepsis311

but would that G tune down to D without significant flop?

F# 72
    B 56
    E 46
    A 36
    D would be 26 wound normally, thats pretty thick.
    G
    B

11. sepsis311

actually i would tune it, F# B E A D F# A#
    I just can't see that D being unwound

12. twiztedchild

twiztedchild Banned

I had my H207 down to f# for about 3 minutes :lol: was trying to get it to a G but for some damn reason the string didnt want to go to G, anyways the short time I hade it there it sounded decent to me, Also the string was .59 :ugh: D'Addario :lol: I want to get an 8 string but it may have to be my h207 tuned to F# with thicker strings just so I can have the 8 sound without the 8th string :lol: or till I get money to get an 8 string.

anyways, go for it man. I will just gotta get the right size strings

13. preboha

preboha jebnem potebe volaco

in my opinion the lowest note that still sounds good on a 25,5 scale is G. i can't imagine going any lower, and i am allready using a 72 for the G.

14. twiztedchild

twiztedchild Banned

thats usally what I have mine tuned to, and it workes fine with the 59 :lol: also it is like Drop D, but with the Low B droped down to g and the rest tuned to D standed sorta like a Korn tuning I guess

15. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

Korn have always tuned to A standard.

16. Hypothermia

Hypothermia Random Swede

I recently started tuning my Schecter C-7 with 26,5" scale to FBEADGB

and i use a .80 for the low F, i would NEVER EVER go any thinner than that concidering how almost flobby it is:lol:

17. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

i tuned my 26.5 scale ibanez RGD to F with a .074 string and it works fine. i would recommend to try the same gauge for F# on a 25.5.

18. darbdavys

darbdavys New Member

Using .70 for F# on JP7, sounds and feels great. not too floppy, imo

19. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

the biggest thing on tuning to F# at 25.5" scale is that if you have an aggressive attack on the string, it will first be sharp in pitch and then return to regular pitch whenever you hit it with your pick. i forget what the technical terminology for this is, but it has to do with the way that the string will vibrate- the oscillations will rise in frequency for a while and then return to pitch. if you pick lightly, this wouldn't be an issue, but if you pick a bit harder, it will.i have to be honest, i haven't used proper (>.070) gauge strings to try this when i did, i suspect that a nice thick string will help alleviate this issue, but have no personal experience with it.

but it also depends what you use for amping. there's a reason why people seem to like either long scale length of engls, i've noticed that my engl almost 'recreates' the effect of a long scale length with its midrangey attack, though my buddy's interceptor can djent through just about anything (including Sunn amps and mesas) at 28 5/8". but it really seems that depending on what you are planning on using this for, and considering your current amp situation, it might make more sense to sell your esp and just get an 8 instead of potentially having to change around your strings, and then a whole bunch of other stuff. what are you planning to do with this F# and what will you be running it through

i mean FWIW all of schecter's 8's are 26.5" scale and there's the 25.5" esp. but the esp is really intended for high a (but ships with an F# from what i remember).

so i guess track down some FM408 owners and ask them what they use

20. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

It can be done but be prepared to play with string gauges a lot.

I'm a freak who uses a 100 gauge elixir bass string for F on a 25.5" scale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.