Douglas SR-370

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by evilpoptartz7, Oct 12, 2010.

1. evilpoptartz7

evilpoptartz7 SS.org Regular

Thanks to a few reviews of this guitar I took the bold move and ordered one through RONDOmusic.com. I ordered the guitar on 10-9 and it arrived on 10-12. If you've been skeptical of this guitar I hope I can help you make a decision.

Pros-
    This guitar is $185
    The finish is legit and even the headstock is matched. The guitar looks sharper than it does online. The finish is darker and less grainy then on the website.
    The body of the guitar is heavy and resonates with the guitar.
    The neck is better than any Schecter 7 string I have tried. There is no problem with the upper frets. I'm not lying when I say this neck feels similar to my USA Jackson ($2200) Its thin and fast.
    No problem with intonation.
    Grover Tuners (actually pretty legit- work great)
    Thing looks like a weapon with the huge headstock.

Cons
    The pick-ups are weak and sound "airy."
    The floyd rose is not made for ridiculous maneuvers. It does stay in tune but I'm still skeptical and I'm going to install a "tremol-no." I need perfect intonation from my guitars.

Summary
    I was looking at Schecters and ESP and I though for the price and all of the positive reviews that I couldn't go wrong. I'm thinking how can they make money on this guitar and I came to this conclusion. They probably assemble and throw all the hardware on and ship without setting it up. I did have to spend about an hour to tune and set up the Floyd rose. I also raised the pickups. If you don't know how to set up a guitar they'll do it at a store for cheap. If you can set up a floyd rose guitar by yourself this is an absolute steal! I will be putting Dimarzio pups in this guy because the stock ones are garbage. If you have a 15w practice amp with effects like a peavy vyper or line 6 sypder you won't need to change the pickups they will be fine. If your running this through a live rig you'll definitely need something.

I can go on and rave about this guitar but I'll answer any questions because this is a great way to save money and practice music.

2. mrlespaulman

mrlespaulman SS.org Regular

I second this. ^^^^^^

3. Cygnus

Cygnus Hyperspace Traveller

I bought one of these not too long ago, my first seven string. I love it and recommend it to anybody wanting an affordable seven string that can compete with more expensive guitars.