Douglas Scope 725

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by danielzabolotny, Sep 23, 2011.

1. danielzabolotny

danielzabolotny SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

I bought this Douglass off of a friend, he didn't want it because of the Floyd. His loss, I say. He paid $200+ (I don't remember how much he paid for shipping, but it was around $200 new), and I bought it off him for $140 in near mint condition. Easiest guitar purchase ever. Onto the review:

Ease of Use: I got it re-set up perfectly by a good friend of mine, no issues since then. Everything works fine.

Features: This is probably the only lowish-scoring category for this guitar, because the Scope is rather spartan. No fancy trim, no locking tuners, plain hardware, decent pickups, and no fancy inlays. None of this bothers me, but it might deter a potential buyer.

Reliability: The guitar feels solid, but I certainly would purchase some strap locks before gigging. I could definitely gig with this guitar without a backup, it's put together well. Plus, the double-locking Floyd stays in tune extremely well, eliminating the need for wasteful mid-set tuning.

Value: Considering this guitar is $200 new, it's quite the amazing value. If you want a good quality guitar without breaking the bank, this is it. If you've been wanting to try out a 7 but have been deterred by cost, this guitar is for you. Granted, the Floyd Rose is not for everyone, but Douglas sells a fixed-bridge version, the Grendel, for even less.

Customer Support: I have not directly dealt with Rondo's customer service, but the friend who I bought it from has nothing but positive experiences to share. As long as you're in the US, I mean. In Europe it gets a little flaky.

Sounds: This guitar sounds pretty good for the price. It plays like a $400+ Ibby 7. Hell, the neck plays and looks so much like an Ibby that I'm surprised to see a Douglas logo on the headstock. For a 7, the neck isn't exceptionally thick, which I enjoy. Fret access is near-perfect. I can easily reach the 24th fret on any string, and playing leads is effortless. The 25" scale keeps my .11's fairly tight in drop G#. The pickups are pretty much your standard stock passives. Harmonics and cleans sound fairly good, and the distorted tone is alright if not a little lacking. I plan to swap both pickups out for Seymour Duncan Blackouts in the near future, but if I couldn't, I'd still be pretty happy with these. The licensed Floyd works pretty well, no complaints there.

Overall: This guitar is simply a splendid value for the money, it plays well and sounds pretty good. I prefer it to my $450 ESP, that's how good it is.

2. danielzabolotny

Oh crap, posted in the wrong forum. Didn't see there was a specific guitar review forum, I saw guitar reviews in this one so I thought this was the correct place. Could a mod please move this to the other forum? Thanks :)

3. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

The Scope is an Indo made guitar, I'm pretty sure. Have to check my headstock when I get to the room. The Grendel is made in China. Big difference in QC, I had and played both, and the Scope is miles ahead. Albeit I got lucky and got a playable Grendel, but the frets were sharp and the electronics squeeled like Ned Beatty in the woods. Good review, I have the 727 and love it. First guitar I've had with a shreddable neck made out of good wood and not basswood.

4. danielzabolotny

Ah thank you for pointing that out, I'll update that part in the review. I love my Scope too, it feels so much like an Ibby, I've had several shredder friends try it and they all agreed that it had the same neck as one.