Douglas or SX strat copy

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by fassaction, Jun 10, 2012.

1. fassaction

fassaction SS.org Regular

Searched around...didnt really find anybody that had tried one. I dont know why, but suddenly I have this odd urge to own a strat style guitar. Being the cheap bastard that I am, and not really having a bunch of money lying around for a Fender, I was checking out the ones on Rondo Music.

More specifically, one of these two in particular SX Hawk MN VWH - RondoMusic.com
    SX HAWK Ultra MN 2 NA - RondoMusic.com

Has anybody tried one of these? I would imagine for 100 bucks, it cant be that great of a guitar, but was hoping it would be decent enough just to play around with.

With these strat copies, are they pretty much identical in build specs to the Fenders? If i bought one of these, i was considering buying one of those Dragonfire loaded pickguards off of Ebay and swapping it in. A friend of mine swapped one into his Squire strat, sounded pretty awesome for the 40-50 bucks he paid for it.

Anybody have any experience with these?

2. -42-

-42- Nothing to see here

Go on your local craigslist, I guarantee that you will find dozens of Strat copies. And that way you can actually play before you pay.

3. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

not to mention MIM Squiers and Fenders...

4. DevinShidaker

DevinShidaker ss.org Addict

You will probably have to do a setup once you get the guitar, but don't let the price full you, these are great instruments for the price you're paying. I have an SX jazz bass copy that I paid like $120 for, and it outshines my old MIM Fender jazz in every way. Keep in mind that you're buying directly from the manufacturer, not through a retailer who has to mark the price up to make a profit.

5. fassaction

fassaction SS.org Regular

i didnt even think about a used squire. For some reason or another, I was under the impression that Squires were in the 400-500 range. I was way off on the pricing.

Thanks for the info on the SX....I might give them a shot, but I found a Squire on CL for 75 bucks that might fit the bill.

6. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

still have and still play my Sx sst62 strat.Excellent instrment,love it to death.Plays great,amazing sustain/frets/finish,just the bridge is a lil silly if you play too much with the bar.Great modding platform imho

7. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I haven't played any of the guitars but I had an SX fretless P bass copy and a 5 string J bass copy. They were amazing considering they were little more than a hundred bucks. Don't bet on pickguards being a direct replacement though. I had to do some cutting to get a Fender guard to fit on the P bass. Also, the body thickness is 5mm thinner than standard Fender body thickness.