Doom reboot

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jan 11, 2016.

1. laden

laden A spaceman....

I'm glad to see the Doom love around here! I think I am only 5 or so levels into the campaign and I love it. Probably one of the few single players games that I will finish and want to play through again immediately. I also don't remember the last time a soundtrack for a game got me so into the zone while playing, but that probably has something to do with being a metal head.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

All I want to do is rent it again and finish single player this weekend. I may very well have to.

3. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Yeah I have to say, it is nice to have such an enjoyable single player campaign, and for what it's worth I think the multiplayer does a good job of mixing elements of COD and faster paced combat like UT. Of course it goes without saying the soundtrack is balls to the wall epic. I haven't even tried snapmap yet but I've seen some really cool sh!t from it; people recreating old DOOM levels and stuff. Looks sweet.

4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Finally got to play DOOM last night on my mates Xbox, it is awesome!!!!!!!!

5. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

my coworkers keep telling me its awesome but i don't want to pay full price for it.

6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

That was what I thought too, but I made an extremely tired decision the other day to splurge for it and I'm so glad I did. It is so much fun, and is so worth it. The amount of detail that was put into this game is unreal, you can tell it was a labor of love.

7. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

How many times does Samuel Hayden say "facility" in this game?

8. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I kind of held off on this game because I thought my PC couldn't handle it. The open beta ran horribly, but I tried the retail demo and was surprised how well optimized the single player was. It won't run great on a laptop or anything, but if your gpu is a few years older like mine it shouldn't be a problem.

The only snag I had was deciding between full vsync or high fov, since having both on slowed it down.

9. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Finally beat this today, and DAMN what a good game!!! That last boss was tough to, even on normal mode.

Jumped on some multiplayer for the first time, and there was some fun to be had but probably won't play it to much though.

Anyway really bad a$s game, probably my favorite of the year so far.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I just tried it. I think I really like it. It had me sold like ten seconds in. And I never play new games.

11. Ralyks

Thats why I'm renting it in increments. Figured if I put the time in, I can have campaign done in another night and half, max.

Now, if this new DLC coming expands the single player campaign, we may have a different situation on our hands....

12. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Just got it last night, and whew it is fast paced. I like how the game focuses less on things like avoiding damage completely and having lots of health/ammo stockpiled and instead focuses on how quickly everything changes. Your health varies from 100% to 20% and back up constantly in combat, same with ammo. It puts you in unique situations very quickly because of this and requires decision making and whatnot. Also provides for a very fast paced game. Anyone else feel this way?

13. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Also my PSN name is: pinkmystink

Feel free to add me as a friend

14. Ralyks

Yes, and that's what makes it glorious.

15. Origin

Origin Rainbow In The Dark

Pleasantly surprised by this one, I'm glad they learned their lessons from Rage and took the time and care to do right by Doom. If you guys get a chance to try it, once you get a rhythm down Nightmare is a dream to play (hyuk). It's 'organically' hard if that makes any sense; like if you get hit like twice you'll die, but every time you die it's your fault. Never feels unfair to me, and fights are full of adrenaline from dancing on that knife edge between a (mercifully reasonable) next checkpoint and death. I'm currently down to just the last boss, and she's unfortunately beating my ass down but I'll get her. What a great time, I needed a game like this with all the garbage coming out lately.

16. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Well Doom was on the Steam sale for like $35 so I nabbed it. Its INSANE. I didnt think I'd like it this much, but man, the combat is so fast and intense.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Also got this from the steam sale- I hesitated to get it at full price because I wasn't sure my video card would handle it well enough to not ruin the experience (gtx770, which isn't that old yet, but newer games are giving it a hard time now), but also cause I cant justify $70-$80 for new games anymore. I sometimes tweak video options before starting new games, but didn't bother this time- it ran fine out of the box. No performance problems and it looks good. And it's fun. That's what a game needs to be, it needs to be fun. Really enjoying the pacing. Like someone already said, when you fail, it doesn't feel unfair, it feels like your own fault. I'm no pro at shooters, and using a steam controller I think adds a bit of challenge, but even if I die, I can usually get past difficult sections on the second or third try. You learn what you did wrong and improve on it sort of organically. Also pretty glad there's no significant setbacks when you die. Some of the checkpoints are in weird places, but I've yet to feel like I've lost a significant amount of progress when I die (which happens pretty often sometimes :lol:).

I was surprised that there's a default steam controller config published for it, and I'm kinda glad there was, cause it made me try a setup I wouldn't have thought of. I've been making a lot of use of the motion controls to aim with- when your thumb touches the right "stick"/pad area, the gyro kicks in. I turned the sensitivity on it up significantly so that I can do most of the aiming that way, and just use the normal camera/stick/pad/whatever control to point in the general direction.

18. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

I'm playing with KBM. You have way more control that way.

19. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I got this on sale when they released the crazily overpriced DLC.

I have been enjoying it greatly. Absolutely great throwback. Reminds me a *lot* of Duke Nukem Forever, which I suppose everyone shat all over so perhaps isn't a strong endorsement, but they really are similar and I loved DNF so meh.

I have literally no complaints aside perhaps from when cutscences happen and you let characters do things and I am sitting there thinking, "I HAVE A GUN FOOL! LET ME SHOOT THE BITCH."

20. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

The soundtrack is out on Spotify now.