Doom reboot

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Siiick. So I'll THALLING IT OUT WITH GUNZ OUT? :hbang:

Look forward to picking it up after payday, looks like good fun.

2. Pav

Pav ???

I'm certainly enjoying the hell out of it. I've heard an awful lot of Halo comparisons but this doesn't feel like Halo at all to me. I get a certain Borderlands vibe from it.

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

If the single player campaign is substantial enough, I'll consider picking it up.

4. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Yeah, this is always concerning. Put this with the terrible response to the beta and I think i'll give this a miss.

5. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Played a couple hours so far. I'm actually digging it. If it deserves a comparison to any game, it is Serious Sam. You go to new areas, fight a bunch of things, and move on. Not sure how long the gameplay will keep, but the fights feel pretty nifty thus far. Fast paced, and you feel sufficiently bad ass hopping around chasing after things.

I'm really liking the little bits of music they threw in from the old game. I haven't been paying too close attention to the soundtrack so far, but I definitely heard e1m1 and e1m5's tunes. Probably going to be paying a bit more attention to the music going forward. I may be biased since I got the game for so cheap ($2 thanks to my credit card's cash back rewards), but I feel like it's a pretty decent reboot so far. Sort of wish they went a little more old school and just went with clever level design with no pausing for cut scenes and/or dialogue. I've got to say that the sound design and animations are all really cool. The way the imps and .... are hopping around really makes them feel like they have weight to them.

6. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Enjoying it as well. Playing on Hurt Me Plenty and Jesus... Stay still for just one second and you're taking damage. .... that you'd laugh at when taking it to the face in the old Doom games are now seer-eee-uh-s ..... Do NOT underestimate Imps, especially when there are multiples. As a guy who's played all the Doom games and loved them all, have to say, they still haven't missed the mark. And yes, I enjoyed Doom 3.

7. Pav

Pav ???

I'm playing on Ultra-Violence and enjoying the challenge. The plethora of secrets stashed along this campaign are keeping me unusually hooked for a single player FPS.

8. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

Just finished it on Hurt Me Plenty. Very, very satisfying campaign. Want to go through it again on Ultra-Violence and do a secrets run (maybe both in one, or do a secrets run on easier difficulty), really really just loving the gunplay, the weight, the feel, everything.

Multi did not grab my attention AT ALL, but I've barely played it, so I'll go back and try and give it a proper go. Snapmap seems really really cool from tinkering with it, but very annoyingly it has the weird 2-weapon limit carried over from multi rather than the campaign's all-weapon arsenal.

9. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Been playing MP. Is it as advanced as most MP battles these days? No, but for an old school Doom fan, I like it just fine.

10. Pav

Pav ???

I'm enjoying it but I can't help but think they're going to be bulking up the MP experience in the future. More game modes would be a good start (no classic deathmatch? No CTF?)

11. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

So I've had the game for about a day and I'm definitely enjoying it. Surprisingly, I'm REALLY liking the multiplayer. Maybe it's because I have a 2.75 K/D :lol: it's just very good at what it's trying to do. It's fun!

12. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

What the hell man. The main thing that bugs me about the multiplayer is my own performance.

13. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I remember seeing DOOM playing on a PC setup at the local mom and pop PC shop. We had played Wolfenstein via shareware, but seeing doom completely blew our minds. A bit like the jump from 2600 to NES.

The similar game i recall having the most fun with was Heretic, playing lights out with some mood assistance with a few friends.

14. QuantumCybin

Plasma rifle and combat shotgun with whatever equipment you want. Never stop moving. I'm also on PS4, but I've always been more of a PC gamer, so maybe my reflexes are faster than the typical filthy console casual that's playing Doom? :lol:

I always sucked at UT/really fast shooters in general when I played it on PC, so I was surprised after my like tenth match of having above a 2.0 KDR that I was keeping it up.

Seriously though, the plasma rifle is so overpowered its stupid. Once you get that bastard in the zone of the trajectory they're finished. And the combat shotgun is perfect too. Also, I only use the Baron demon. His ground pound move needs to be nerfed, there's almost no cooldown lol. I primarily play Team Deathmatch and Soul Harvest, by the way.

15. Pav

Pav ???

Well damn, now I have to jump on and give the plasma rifle a whirl. That and the static rifle are the only weapons I never use. I think the burst rifle and lightning gun are OP but it's nice to hear people aren't collectively latching onto the same one or two weapons.

16. QuantumCybin

I'll have to remember to save a video of one of my matches and throw it up on here; I've messed around with trying other guns, I used the super shotgun and heavy assault rifle for maybe my first 5-7 matches but I found myself kicking copious amounts of ass with the plasma rifle/SSG, but when I unlocked the combat shotgun oh man it got even better. Most of the time, if it's a combat shotgun vs a SSG, the CSG will win simply due to the rate of fire; most people I've gone up against suck using the SSG!

EDIT: So after playing a few more hours tonight, I think I'm going to stick with using two loadouts based on the map I'm playing on. One is the plasma rifle with combat shotgun and the other is heavy rifle with combat shotgun. The heavy rifle with its scope is far superior at range than the plasma rifle, and on bigger, more open maps, the heavy rifle can seriously mess people up from afar.

17. QuantumCybin

Okay, so I finally remembered to save a match. I got a 2.11 K/D in this round, which is more typical now that I've got like 50+ matches under my belt. I had a feeling I couldn't sustain an almost 3.0 K/D, I'm hovering around 2.1 right now overall. I was having a big problem trying to strafe jump, which is such an important part of these arena style shooters. The default control scheme on the PS4 is clunky for this purpose, so I started using the strafe controller layout (or the one right below it, can't remember the name). This makes it so jump is now L1, grenade is R3, and melee/glory kill is X. This makes it MUCH easier to strafe jump and have a height advantage on people more often.

Anyways, here's the video. Nothing too ridiculous but it gives you an idea of how I play. I'm using the heavy rifle and CSG. Also check out my djent-kid approved badass username, Polyrhythm423. So cult.

18. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Yeah, I was getting irritated trying to jump strafe aim and shoot in the story. I switched to the scheme you mentioned and it helps greatly. They really just need to allow keyboard and mouse.

Edit: I should say that I have two copies. One for PC and one for Xbox. Id prefer to play it on console, but the PC controls just make the game so much more fun.

19. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I only made it about 5 chapters in to the campaign before I had to return my rental. But good lord do I want to get back and finish that campaign. Best single player FPS campaign I've played since, I don't know, World at War?

20. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Holy .... am I rusty. Played a handful of online games and I blew the big one. Probably gonna try and brush up on my fps skills a bit, cuz that .... was gnarly.