Doom reboot

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jan 11, 2016.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

2. asher

asher So Did We

It's very pretty, but I'm just watching this going...

...whhyyyyyyyy? :ugh:

3. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

I'm actually pretty excited for this. I'm wondering how the "game play" we are seeing will translate to the final version of the game. A lot of what I have seen looks somewhere in-between cinematic and gameplay. . . if thats what the game is actually like I can dig it, just not sure what it'll be like for real.

Also I'm hoping its a bit scarier than the what I've seen so far. Just my 2 cents

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Looks like game companies are following Hollywood - rather than invent, replicate. Which sucks.

For me, the coolest thing about Doom was that it seemed like it was 10 years into the future. At the time it came out NOTHING else was anywhere close to it. A reboot might be better graphics and gameplay, but unless they do something substantially different it's just going to be meh. What I'd like to have them reboot is the vision and innovation of the first one. THAT would be cool. Though, I am not nearly creative enough to know what that is.

5. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

because AWESOME! That's why.

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

New Doom? Mama likey! :D

7. asher

asher So Did We

Exactly!

Even if you're using modern controls, DOOM can still give you a run for your money. But if you're adding all kinds of new stuff... I guess it's still a reboot? But why does it need to be a reboot, and not just... a new DOOM game?

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

DOOM was my first introduction into FPS and metal music(Panter, slayer etc) so I can't wait to play this.

It looks like there is a lot of love being put into this. I really hate seeing companies buying a game franchise and releasing new games that miss the whole point of the originals/

There are a lot of quicktime events but thats become a trend in games nowadays. As much as game developers would like to so something original and avoid all the annoying modern cliches they have studios breathing down their backs and constantly interfering to maximise sales.

9. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Doom 3 had a very different feel to the earlier games. It was scary.

I used to get home from the pub, switch the lights off and play Ultimate Doom on my PS with headphones on. Used to creep me right out.

Doom 3 was often a slower paced experience and story was more at the forefront,but it had great atmosphere. Im guessing the new game will be similar.

I loved- like Deadspace- that much of the soundtrack was the machinery- the environment. That was powerful, oppressive and gave the enviromnent a real character that helped buid tension.

I love them all. As long as its well executed, i welcome a new Doom game.

Id like a new Quake game too that goes back to its roots in the first game (I remember getting a voodoo card for my Mac back in the day to improve the graphics!!). Some cyber stuff, but Cthulhu references too. Much as I like the strogg stuff, id like a bit more gothic back in my classic shooters..

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

It looks the like Brutal Doom mod with the graphics turned up to 11. This seems like a good thing.

11. Jaek-Chi

Jaek-Chi SS.org Regular

Brutal DOOM may well interest you then, if you haven't played it. Basically the original ones, with new weapons, much smoother, and much more fun.

12. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Hmm?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, same company, I realize. Still, it was out more than a year before DOOM, and it wasn't exactly an obscure title nobody was playing.

13. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

All a reboot is is dumping previous cannon. I know next to nothing about this new Doom game, but I'm assuming it's just ditching 3's plot in favor of different gameplay. The little I did see looked cool and I look forward to it. I thought the story was by far the worst addition to both The Doom and Quake series. Especially quake. I miss shamblers, fiends, and knights-for-some-reason.

I'm hoping for a bunch of well designed, loosely tied together, levels like the old days. Hopefully they don't duke nukem forever it up or something.

14. Chokey Chicken

Sorry for the double post. Phone posting is a bitch.

Anyway, wolfenstein was popular and decent for its time, but not nearly as much as doom. Wolf was all flat, wide open rooms. Doom had lifts, puzzles, teleports, varying light levels, etc. it was super advanced for its time. Not to say wolfenstein was not, but the leaps and bounds of progress made between the two titles is undeniable.

15. Grand Moff Tim

Obviously there were differences between the two games, but just as undeniable as the improvements in DOOM were is the fact that DOOM was essentially an improved Wolfenstein 3D. Whether or not it was better or to what degree it was better isn't really relevant when I was posting that in reply to the statement that there was "nothing like DOOM" when it came out. There was.

I enjoyed DOOM more then W3D. It think it was the better game. I just found it a bit odd to talk about it being ahead of its time and completely unique when there is such an obvious game to add to the discussion. DOOM may have been the cool new guy on the block, but he looked and acted an awful lot like his dad.

16. Chokey Chicken

The similarities end at them being fps though. Doom was way more advanced for pretty much the same exact time period. Even small things like weapon view bob put it in a league of its own. Not to mention drastic weapon mechanics and such. It might have looked a touch like dad, but it acted way different.

I think the fact that there is still a huge active community for the original doom games speaks volumes. Wolf paved the way, but Doom more fully explored upon that base idea. I love both games, but Doom is just special in comparison to me.

Wolf shouldn't be ignored, but it's far from being ahead of other games at the time when Doom was of the same time pretty much.

17. Grand Moff Tim

I'm not saying DOOM is just a reskinned W3D or anything, but it couldn't be more clear to me that they're cut from the same cloth, so you can't say the one that came later had "nothing else like it." It doesn't matter how much one improved on the other, it's still an improved take on a preexisting formula. The older, inferior game didn't cease to exist the moment the newer, better one came out.

And the similarities were a bit more than just them both being FPSs, for what it's worth. Item drops, keys, secret doors, the exact same cheat codes, and of course the highly similar HUDs.

I dunno, I guess we're just gonna have to disagree on this.

Semi-related, but apparently iD wasn't above just reskinning bits of W3D for DOOM 2. :lol::lol::lol:

18. Chokey Chicken

Nah, I'll agree with you. We were just thinking of it differently. "Nothing like it at the time" to me just meant how advanced one was. Wolfs mechanics were largely the same, but doom was just hella advanced in comparison, especially for being released at around the same time. Duke 3d was the next to up the genre, and that came out in 96 I think, which was several years later.

I feel the need to go back and play some wolfenstein, doom, heretic, Hexen and duke3d now.

19. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Has some pretty graphics but the creatures give me a bit of a Darksiders vibe ( slightly cartoony) just not as scary and gritty as I would have like it. I'd love a more Deadspace/Aliens/Event Horizon vibe and have it look more realistic and believable with horrific creatures.

20. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

For me I see reboots like songs. If you can't have originality then at least let it be good and well executed. The gameplay and graphics I've seen so far, I liked a lot. I don't know if I'll have the time or the hardware to play it when it comes out but the level of brutality towards the demons/monsters awoke some primal instincts that's for sure.
    I guess we'll see when it comes out. Some people will love it, some will hate it and some will be "meh".